Reactive Targets?

Mad Mardigan

There is a company that makes reactive targets for shooting. It takes a centerfire rifle .223 cal or higher to set off. A friend of mine said it was 95% AN and 5% Al powder. Its completely legal to sale and purchase in every state, but cost 160 bucks for 40 charges of 1/2 pound charges. I know that AN is cheaper then that to buy, but is that all it takes for a good size bang from an reactive target?

http://www.tannerite.com is the product in question. There is a very cool vid on there to watch too. I have some of our own vids from friends too. We blow up some really nice crap. :D

I found this on another thread which i think was discussing the same stuff you are refering to.

Parts by Weight

Potassium chlorate 18

Sulphur 6

black fine powdered aluminum (400 mesh) 6

Bran 2-2.5

However someone else suggests...

white powder (ammonium nitrate). I knew it was because it was hard to burn.

The other is a sensitizer which is a mix of aluminum powder, titanium sponge, and zirconium hydride (a powerful reducing agent).

~Scott

half pound charges x 40!

that`s a triffle excessive don`t you think?

what ever happened to crushed match heads between 2 pennies? you`de still get a loud report to indicate a hit, Moreover the target was still available for reuse afterwards :)

half pound charges x 40!

what ever happened to crushed match heads between 2 pennies? you`de still get a loud report to indicate a hit' date=' Moreover the target was still available for reuse afterwards :)[/quote']

Note to everyone: don't hit that 'contraption' with a hammer. The kick back will put your arm out of commission for quite some time. :D (Did that with some pennies and uncrushed matches and just took a big hammer to it. KAPOW!)

what ever happened to crushed match heads between 2 pennies? you`de still get a loud report to indicate a hit' date=' Moreover the target was still available for reuse afterwards :)

[/quote']

One sec, I've never heard of this before, if you place a match between two pennies and then hit it hard it'll explode?

Does it work with these new stupid safety matches?

(I assume you mean the match head, and it's just sudden pressure which triggers a reaction? How is it then still available for re-use after?)

it CAN work with safety matches but very infrequently. the "Strike Anywhere" sort are the best :)

and alot safer than half a pound of sensitised AN. you want a Reactive target, not an OVER REACTIVE target :)

By putting the match between two pennies, you're confining the area in which the reaction can take place. A great deal of gas is formed but has nowhere to go so you hear and feel a loud 'pop'. The analogy to gunpowder that YT made is brilliant. Taking gunpowder and spreading it out over a large area will only result in a quick burn. Confining it into a closed system and igniting it will make it explode.

half pound charges x 40!

what ever happened to crushed match heads between 2 pennies? you`de still get a loud report to indicate a hit' date=' Moreover the target was still available for reuse afterwards :)[/quote']

Excessive, no, fun, yes. This stuff is awesome to see live, we mix a 2 lbs mixture, and its made a huge report. You could feel the blast from 100 yards back. At the cost of the charges on the net, I figured there might be a cheaper way to make it yourself. Im buying a house now, and my funds will decrease soon. Im also going to invest in a reloading kit to manufacture my own rounds too.

With the 1/2 lbs charge, we blew a 1/4 inch thick, and a little bigger then a foot around piece of solid steel about 200ft in the air. :D

Shooting is a competive sport for me, and when you have something like this to make if more fun, Im all for it.

I found this on another thread which i think was discussing the same stuff you are refering to.

Parts by Weight

Potassium chlorate 18

Sulphur 6

black fine powdered aluminum (400 mesh) 6

Bran 2-2.5

However someone else suggests...

white powder (ammonium nitrate). I knew it was because it was hard to burn.

The other is a sensitizer which is a mix of aluminum powder' date=' titanium sponge, and zirconium hydride (a powerful reducing agent).

~Scott[/quote']

Thanks for the reply, I have been gone from the site for awhile. But I have been lurking some lately.

Excessive, no, fun, yes. This stuff is awesome to see live, we mix a 2 lbs mixture, and its made a huge report. You could feel the blast from 100 yards back. At the cost of the charges on the net, I figured there might be a cheaper way to make it yourself. With the 1/2 lbs charge, we blew a 1/4 inch thick, and a little bigger then a foot around piece of solid steel about 200ft in the air.

heh, only in america