Theory and application, I suppose?

UTpolymath

Okay guys, I need some help. I know some C++, about enough to fit in one semester. When I took the course we covered a little bit passed arrays. Anyway, I never really understood how to make an actual application. We would write some code maybe about 300 lines at times, and we would run the code or some of you might call it "debug" and this is where the command prompt would pop up -- usually it would ask me to input some values to calculate whatever my code was intended to do. However, I never really learned how to make an application where you can actually interact with and do other things. What I mean by that is for example all the applications that you find in your mobile phones. What do you need to know to make an application like that? How do I learn how to structure my code to do something like that? I think that is one of my biggest problems; I don't know how to structure code or develop applications. I know the rules, syntax, functions, et cetera, for C++ I just don't know how to apply them. Any pointers, books, websites, references would be helpful. Furthermore, I also want to learn how to program for robotics, and hardware/device applications. For example, programming wireless receivers and what not. I am double majoring in physics and in applied mathematics so any math or physics that may relate to this would not be a problem.

Thank all of you in advance!

- M

I have the same problem. You actually write programs that deals with numbers just to understand a concept in C++ programming. But neither you not I will be able to figure out where we will use our programming language untill and unless we get into a job that has to deal with C++. Actually you need to know how to link C++ with Access Database so as to write some program that has its own use.

What typical mobile phone application has?

Menu.

Program application where user can select something from menu.

Few options, like Start, Best Scores, About, Exit.

Move cursor between options, handling up and down keys.

Press enter key - acceptance of selected menu item.

Instead of making each menu item by hand, there can be created array of strings (or array of structures) with titles of menu item and f.e. call-backs executed when they're picked up by user - and you have usage for array..

To gain experience, you have to write programs. Write programs for yourself. Programs that you need.

Ask mother, father, friends what application they would find useful.

f.e. mother can tell that she needs note book for making list of things to shop..

What options have such app?

Add new note, remove existing note, remove all notes, list all notes, searching, etc. etc.

Edited by Sensei

There are different languages used for app programming. Objective C would be the closest to C, but some of the others may be a better fit depending on what you are looking for. Do you want it to work best on a particular system? Do you want it to work across multiple systems?

I definitely agree with what Sensei was saying above, find a problem first then look to programming to provide your solution. I've never sat down and said, "I'm going to make a program today." Instead it has always been, "I have a problem, my friends have a problem, how can I use my programming skills to solve it?"

Automation, enjoyment and added functionality are the main three I've seen, with no small amount of cross applicability.

ie. Something more automated can be more enjoyable and more functional.

I agree with the others. The best way to learn a new programming language (or paradigm, API, etc.) is to actually write a program. Preferably something realistic.

I would choose a language (maybe something a bit more user-friendly when it comes to writing graphical user interfaces -- Java, C#, Python, HTML5/Javascipt, etc) and a good development tool (VisualStudio, Netbeans, ...) and then find a book with some examples/tutorials you can use to get started.

It doesn't matter what language you use, because whatever you learn (other than some concrete syntax) can be transferred to your next project.

You may also want to look into contributing to any open source projects you find on the net, particularly applications or programs for Linux/Unix. Open source projects have the added advantage of allowing you to actually study source code and get a feel for what it is like to write different applications (as well as a good source for learning how to identify errors and bugs), and thus get much needed practice that way.