I am having trouble finding information of this subject

icapture

Hey guys (and girls),

I am having a bit of difficulty researching how one goes about extracting data from a video file. I would be using high definition go pro's to capture the footage, and need to extract words from various surfaces. For example walking down the road with a go-pro and being able to gather the text from each sign that I pass and export that into a database.

I am not looking for an simple answer to this question for I know it would be exhaustive. What I am looking for is maybe some direction on where to start looking. What terminology I type into Google to start my research? Are there any threads on here or other computer science / programming forums that could shed some light on this? Are there programs that have already been developed that could do this for me?

If you have any questions please ask.

Generally you find OCR in book readers like Adobe Acrobat and it only really converts word recognized fonts back with any real precision. Even so I have a whole test I tried to OCR and wound up re-typing the whole thing because it converted to word so badly.

For example walking down the road with a go-pro and being able to gather the text from each sign that I pass and export that into a database.

Which would be really cool but at the moment we would have to pull the video apart and look at the movie frame by frame.