Plate tectonics relation to Earthquakes.

Dr. Funkenstein

To me it's without question that seismology may very well be wrong

Do you have any evidence to support that?

I find it hard to give them much credence outside of recording a earthquake, I also cant grasp what they claim is the cause of earthquakes.

That appears to be a problem with your understanding, rather than geology and seismology.

It is more reasonable and logical to state that contraction and expansion is the cause of earthquakes

Do you have any evidence to support that? Without that it is completely unreasonable.

and again this mainly happens when the planet is in close proximity to the Sun

Do you have any evidence to support that?

• 2 months later...

Data on Earthquakes all over the world for 2014.

97 total earthquakes within the fall winter spring months, when the Sun is close to earth.

36 total earthquakes within the summer months, when the earth is far away from Sun.

For the year 2015 as of 2/01/2015, there have been 36 earthquakes to date.

97 total earthquakes within the fall winter spring months, when the Sun is close to earth.

36 total earthquakes within the summer months, when the earth is far away from Sun.

Citation required.

• 4 weeks later...

Some people try and blame it on solar flares from the sun. I was just reading up on the Africa Greenbelt and possible asteroid collision on earth before the dinosaurs and bigger than what took out the dinosaurs. They were talking about than it was all one continent, and how it got how it was because of what hit in Africa, causing major earthquakes and lava flow over the planet. We have what is called the ring of fire with constant activity, and we get constant large earthquakes year round. Energy is constantly moving and needing to be released, so earthquakes are good for the planet. If there is any correlation to earthquakes and the seasons, it could be just coincidence, like the large earthquakes that hit in Mexico and Indonesia soon following large flooding's, not necessarily some kind of influence over.

I remember watching out for earthquakes for a tail of activity to volcano eruptions in area. A large eruption happened in Japan with out much seismic activity, so that is doomed to failure as something to go by. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

That's some very inaccurate data you're referring to. Even on the Wikipedia article you can see that there was over 16000 earthquakes of mag 4+ in 2014.

There's also a breakdown of earthquakes by month and magnitude so let's do a bit of rough calculation of total energy of earthquakes per month. To make it easier I took just integer values for magnitude and display them in terms of number of energy of Mag 4 earthquakes. In Richter scale the increase of magnitude by 1 point increases the energy of the earthquake 31.6 times (I used 32 for the ease of it) and we get these numbers as a result:

post-105906-0-23848200-1425948615_thumb.jpg

It's not exactly accurate but still you can see that the total energy of earthquakes peaks sharply in April mostly due to one major mag 8.2 quake in Chile and multiple mag 7+ quakes. It peaks again in June and then in October-November. Obviously, from this data you can't conclude anything, maybe if you bothered and did a statistical calculation for, say 30-40 years' worth of earthquakes, maybe the data would show something but I rather doubt it.

If, you're just looking at the total number of earthquakes, then, you'll see it peaking in April-June, but if you have a look at previous years, then there is not such discrepancy, it's pretty even for all months in 2013 and 2012, so your theory is not supported by the evidence.

Edited by pavelcherepan

• 7 months later...

It must be sure that the statistics has something to do with the contraction of continental plates, and also this proves to be an additional evidence for the formation of major portion of the continents as we see now from the massive volcanic eruption from Tibet, which I have illustrated in my article “Evolution of Himalaya and Tibet, and the Great Volcano”, which I have posted elsewhere in this forum.

There it is concluded that the continental plates as we see now are formed from the massive lava flow from the great volcano, and the continental plates are free to move over the Earth crest (Ocean Floor), but the outer edges of the lava flow (ring of fire) might have got fused with the bottom layer of crushed and bend down Earth crest. These top plates are still getting cooled and at varying stress levels, trying to reach final equilibrium. During winter however, as major portion of continents are in northern hemisphere and will certainly get cooled faster and shrink faster causing enormous stresses to develop, finally resulting to earthquakes.

jibz, you clearly have an interest in science in general and geology in particular. This is a very good thing and I compliment you on it. It is sad, therefore, that you have not chosen to develop that interest through serious study of the subject, but have - instead - chosen to embark on a serious of whimsical speculations that are not only unsupported by the evidence, but contradicted by it.

I may choose to deconstruct your nonsense on the relevant thread. In the meantime I strongly urge you to remain silent on these matters until you have educated yourself adequately.