How much does he gain by this transaction?

Chikis

A retailer has an account for N200.00 from a manufacturer who give two months' credit but only after a cash discount of 5% for prompt payment. The retailer borrows N200.00 from his bank at 9% per annum for two months and pays promptly to secure the cash discount. How much does he gain by this transaction?

How do I solve this?

I could not solve this because I don't fully understand the problem especially the first sentence.

The problem is that I don't understand the first sentence of the question?

What does it mean

(1) "that the retailer has an account of N200"?

(2) "the manufacturer gives credit or two months credit"?

The first sentence has been transcribed incorrectly "A retailer has an account for N200.00 from a manufacturer who give two months' credit but only after a cash discount of 5% for prompt payment. "

It should say "A retailer has an account for N200.00 from a manufacturer who give two months' credit. A cash discount of 5% for prompt payment is also available.

The retailer has obviously brought goods from the manufacturer and the bill is N200.

The manufacturer is expecting payment within 2 months or else penalties will apply (but these are not mentioned).

The first sentence has been transcribed incorrectly "A retailer has an account for N200.00 from a manufacturer who give two months' credit but only after a cash discount of 5% for prompt payment. "

It should say "A retailer has an account for N200.00 from a manufacturer who give two months' credit. A cash discount of 5% for prompt payment is also available.

The retailer has obviously brought goods from the manufacturer and the bill is N200.

The manufacturer is expecting payment within 2 months or else penalties will apply (but these are not mentioned).

Thanks for trying to explain, but let me try to understand it more:

I understand this to mean that the retailer bought goods from the manufacturer at the cost of N200. Right?

The manufacturer is expecting payment within 2 months or else penalties will apply (but these are not mentioned)[math]\longrightarrow[/math]

who give two months' credit. A cash discount of 5% for prompt payment is also available..

The retailer bought the goods on credit and he is being giving the grace of two months to pay. If he pays in, before, or within two months, he would be giving a discount of 5%. Right Edited by Chikis

Thanks for trying to explain, but let me try to understand it more:

I understand this to mean that the retailer bought goods from the manufacturer at the cost of N200. Right?

The manufacturer is expecting payment within 2 months or else penalties will apply (but these are not mentioned)[math]\longrightarrow[/math]The retailer bought the goods on credit and he is being giving the grace of two months to pay. If he pays in, before, or within two months, he would be giving a discount of 5%. Right

No, early payment discount would only happen if it was paid immediately like "cash on delivery", if the retailer waited 2 months before he paid, he would not get any discount in my opinion.

No, early payment discount would only happen if it was paid immediately like "cash on delivery", if the retailer waited 2 months before he paid, he would not get any discount in my opinion.

Yes this is true for the purposes of this question and is also normal business practice.

Edited by studiot

Here is a review of the stuation or a restatement of the problem.

A retailer has just bought goods for a price of N200.

If he pays right now he will receive a discount of 5% (so how much does he owe right now?)

But he has no money to pay with at this time.

He expects to get the money to pay by reselling the goods in the future.

So long as he pays within two months he will still only owe N200, but will not receive the discount.

He can borrow money right now and pay right now and so receive the discount.

But he will have to pay 9% per annum (=per year) on the money he borrows.

If he borrows the money and pays 2 months interest how much is that interest?

Two find his 'gain' you must consider the difference between two possible courses of action.

It is not a question of applying a formula such as gain = sales - costs.

So read back over the thread so far and decide what his two possible courses of action are

Obviously he can only carry one course out.

I have got the whole thing now? The retailer made a profit of N10 after he bought the good for N190.

When he borrowed from the bank, he incured an intrest of N3.

The man paid N3 out of his N10 gain. He had N7 left. His gain is N7.

What if the question says what is his gain percent?

Edited by Chikis