Latex Questions

[latex](\partial_{\mu}\phi - e A_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi - e A^{\mu}\phi) + m^2 \phi^2[/latex]

[latex](\partial_{\mu}\phi - e A_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi - e A^{\mu}\phi) + m^2 \phi^2[/latex]

[math](\partial_{\mu}\phi - e A_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi - e A^{\mu}\phi) + m^2 \phi^2[/math]

[math](\partial_{\mu}\phi - e A_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi - e A^{\mu}\phi) + m^2 \phi^2[/math]

Sorry to take thread off-topic into math tags - but as it was mentioned.

There is a problem with our mathtag/latex renderer - lines 1&2 seem to be identical to me, as are 3&4 but some display and others do not.

The difference is that for the ones that display I used the drop down menu and pasted into the box to get the tags and the other ones I typed in manually (4) or highlighted the code, drop down menu and selected latex (2).

So for me to get anything other than the most basic latex to display I need to hit the third button along from the left on the top row, scroll down to latex, either type or paste my code into that box, and hit ok

Sorry to take thread off-topic into math tags - but as it was mentioned.

There is a problem with our mathtag/latex renderer - lines 1&2 seem to be identical to me, as are 3&4 but some display and others do not.

The difference is that for the ones that display I used the drop down menu and pasted into the box to get the tags and the other ones I typed in manually (4) or highlighted the code, drop down menu and selected latex (2).

So for me to get anything other than the most basic latex to display I need to hit the third button along from the left on the top row, scroll down to latex, either type or paste my code into that box, and hit ok

I've noticed that I get errors when I have double spaces in my code. For example "a=b+c " will not render due to the two spaces at the end.

either type or paste my code into that box

That's jolly spiffing for those who speak fluent latex.

Lingually challenged members like myself copy and paste from a formula editor.

I find however that the renderer (is that the right word) can't chew even moderately complicated formulae so it is necessary to paste in sections either side of a normal equals or + or similar sign.

For instance this would not take in one go but pasted OK in three sectrions, all enclosed in math tags as already advised.

96d9c27215b55ed6a11f5a0f7550582f-1.png = bbb8dd3d90e1398997bb731ada143a9d-1.png + 627a8aa6b62f0c5506bad674cffe2536-1.png

[latex]\int \frac{a+bx}{cx}dx=\int \frac{a}{cx}dx+\int \frac{bx}{cx}dx[/latex]

That renders if you paste / type into the box - but not if you type into normal reply screen.

And for anything complicated I would use a latex editor - but if you copy the latex code into the box rather than post a gif then other members can copy/inspect the code by double clicking it

That renders if you paste / type into the box - but not if you type into normal reply screen.

And for anything complicated I would use a latex editor - but if you copy the latex code into the box rather than post a gif then other members can copy/inspect the code by double clicking it

I would be very happy to learn more, though I suggest you hive this off to another thread, with a link left in this one, since it can be a real struggle to post a simple bit of maths like the above examples.

Edited by studiot

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/3751-quick-latex-tutorial/page-9

[math]\int \frac{a+bx}{cx} dx = \int \frac{a}{cx} dx + \int \frac{bx}{cx} dx[/math]

Typing into the normal reply box works just fine for me. I'm not sure what your problem is imatfaal.

It could be browser specific. I find it most often works through the drop down.

Well I don't know the difference between these options

To post the three integrals I had to split the equation in three parts and post the LHS, the left integral on the RHS and the right integral on the RHS separately.

If have no idea wht the system 'renders' the latex to. Each segment of latex code was produced in MathType and pasted as MathML.

When the first attempt including all three integrals in one go did not work (in the simple reply box) I first went to the more reply options to see the preview and played with it until I beat it into submission,

I first split it into two segments, RHS and LHS of the equals sign, which was written in ordinary text.

When the LHS displayed, but not the RHS I split the RHS either side of the plus.

That time it worked.

Well I don't know the difference between these options

To post the three integrals I had to split the equation in three parts and post the LHS, the left integral on the RHS and the right integral on the RHS separately.

If have no idea wht the system 'renders' the latex to. Each segment of latex code was produced in MathType and pasted as MathML.

When the first attempt including all three integrals in one go did not work (in the simple reply box) I first went to the more reply options to see the preview and played with it until I beat it into submission,

I first split it into two segments, RHS and LHS of the equals sign, which was written in ordinary text.

When the LHS displayed, but not the RHS I split the RHS either side of the plus.

That time it worked.

That sounds tedious. Try making your equations at the link imatfaal suggested (http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php), then copy and paste the code between [*math][/math] tags (without the *).

Useful information would be what is the (approximate) date of the picture and where is it to be found?

What material is is painted? inscribed? on?

Thank you for the link, I will give it a try

[math]\int \frac{a+bx}{cx}dx=\int \frac{a}{cx}dx + \int \frac{bx}{cx}dx[/math]

Yes it works in one hit and the code seems simpler than MathType produces.

So perhaps that (expensive) program will turn out to be a waste of money.

+1

Edited by studiot

• 2 weeks later...

Two spaces at the beginning (we have syntax error):

[math] +1[/math]

[ math] +1[ /math]

Single space at the beginning (no error):

[math] +1[/math]

[ math] +1[ /math]

No spaces at the beginning (no error):

[math]+1[/math]

[ math]+1[ /math]

Edited by Sensei

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for pointing out these issues guys and apologies for the lack of response. Unfortunately, IPB is a bit finicky when it comes to giving our LaTeX plugin non-htmlized text, so presently there's a bunch of hacks that need to be made in order to get it to work. Probably there are some characters missing from the table we use to do a search-and-replace.

I think a better long-term solution for math typesetting is probably to utilise MathJax, which does away with the images and with it, a bunch of headaches such as baseline alignment for inline math. However, there is no IPB plugin for this at the moment, so will require me to do a little development in some downtime, which is pretty hard to come by at the moment!

What didn't they like about MathJax?

My guess is that double spaces in your equations get replaced with non-breaking spaces, which mess with LaTeX. I can probably adjust the code to strip them out.
edit: should be fixed now:

What didn't they like about MathJax?

Judging from the comments I see on several forums many find the same problem I do.

viz tex/mathjax/mathml, whatever, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work for no reason apparent to the user.

That is very frustrating after a substantial amount of typing work.

Judging from the comments I see on several forums many find the same problem I do.

viz tex/mathjax/mathml, whatever, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work for no reason apparent to the user.

Yeah. Algorithm parsing Latex should tell at which character (offset) it failed at least, not to mention full description of reason of failing..

That is very frustrating after a substantial amount of typing work.

When it happens to me, I am splitting long equation to two, or more. Then part that's wrong is again showing up in Preview Post as "Latex error", while good one is showing correctly.

Then repeat it with smaller parts, until reason of failure is obvious.

This is typical method of finding error in source code while developing software, when we don't/can't use debugger.

When it happens to me, I am splitting long equation to two, or more. Then part that's wrong is again showing up in Preview Post as "Latex error", while good one is showing correctly.

Then repeat it with smaller parts, until reason of failure is obvious.

This is typical method of finding error in source code while developing software, when we don't/can't use debugger.

Thank you sensei, that's often what I do but I would not say I was in error, just that the parser (is that the right word?) was inadequate for the job, or that MathType (advertised on this site) was inadequate or both.