First Teleportation of Two Quantum Properties

IM Egdall

Report says physicists in China have teleported two quantum properties of a photon for the first time. And they say that, in principle, their approach could work for other properties as well. So are we getting close to the teleportation of all quantum properties of a photon, or of an electron for that matter? And then entire atoms perhaps?

I would imagine doing this is still way in the future. Still, it's amazing to think it may be possible.

Link: https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/first-teleportation-of-multiple-quantum-properties-of-a-single-photon-7c1e61598565

IME - transfer enough of the quantum properties and you don't need to transfer the particle itself, you have to all extents and purposes recreated the particle in the new position. the no-cloning rule will I presume mean that you have fundamentally altered your original - but a particle with all the characteristics of the old one is now in the new position; that's teleportation

The only problem I find with this, if it were to be applied to full sized atoms, or larger compounds, is that in order to achieve teleportation is that you would need an amount of antimatter in proportion with the amount of matter. I mean you might be able to split basic hydrogen bonds with ultra-high energy gamma radiation to convert a small amount of matter into energy, but the thing is that would only split single layer bonds, and you would still be left with a tiny amount of energy and many more basic chemical elements. So unless 24th century technology is able to create large amounts of antimatter then the very idea of teleportation will be impractical until we are able to master the art of bending space, thus allowing us to get from point A, to point B, via the fold at point C.

This is in order to transport actual living objects of course, because if your energy from matter-energy conversion did not follow you you might not actually be you, if you know what I mean, because your consciousness might actually cease to exist, and like dying, nobody would ever know what happens afterward to your consciousness.

The only problem I find with this, if it were to be applied to full sized atoms, or larger compounds, is that in order to achieve teleportation is that you would need an amount of antimatter in proportion with the amount of matter.

!

Moderator Note

Please stick to the topic (the news story) and not introduce speculations to the discussion. If this is a matter of not understanding what quantum teleportation actually involves, please visit one of the existing threads on the subject, or start a new one, and ask questions.

I know, imatfaal. As I understand it, a particle is not actually teleported, it is its properties that are transferred to another particle, so the second particle now has identical properties as the original one had. That's why I talked about teleportation of quantum properties. But thanks for your comment - your explanation is clearer than mine was.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.