How do I know this is not a dream ( Virtual World)

harshgoel1975

How do I know this is not a dream

When in dream, we become part of dream and feel that everything that is happening ( in dream ) is true until dream is broken and we wake up ... So how do I know at this moment this is not a dream rather long dream...in other world ....How do I know this is not a virtual world ..

Please keep jokes apart.. I already washed the face and pinched my hands multiple time :) :) :)

Perhaps the first thing to do in this case is look for falsifiability of the hypothesis. I can't think of a way to show that what you say isn't true, so this may never be scientifically testable.

Further, with no way to distinguish between hypotheses the question becomes moot. This world, whether you call it real or virtual still behaves in the way we observe. It is easier to suppose this is the real world rather than postulate the existence of others.

to me, reality perceptions flow between the two states of subjective and objective. We feel as if in a dream at points within the waking state, as we are never fully in either state, only that one state predominates. But the intellectual idealization of states are differing enough to be clearly defined by the waking state as being currently in predominate waking state..in which I am dutifully carry out the day's duties, not dreaming of them. They will actually be carried out in a physical sense, and reality is "recorded evidence" of my occasional existence in this state. I have been in dreams while I considered the question from the other side..am I dreaming or awake? I would shift between considering the question, then continue to experience the dream, and return to questioning what state I was in, constantly never quite sure. With the awake state I am much more sure of the state as the intellect is more fully functional to determine the state convincingly enough to keep the questioning as to state relatively quiet...since the intellect is the arbiter of the definition of sleep states, that is the gold standard of evidence on each one's predominance...here come D judge...

Edited by hoola

Isn't it obvious that you are dreaming? Impossible things happen, you can stop and "rewind" and change how things happen, it "feels" like a dream, etc.

Impossible things... is also a matter of frame of time.. yesterday/yesteryear which was not possible .. but possible now.. so when a person is in dream.. How he/she can make a judgement that event happening is impossible or possible....if he/she can make that out he is already in awaken state... in dream ... I can't stop and rewind the dream... only once awaken I can do that probably and then it become imagination rather ...

I assumed everyone knew they were dreaming. Apparently not.

Impossible things... is also a matter of frame of time.. yesterday/yesteryear which was not possible .. but possible now..

I think that being on a train that grows wings and turns into a dragon that swims through the water while the pigs start playing the tuba ... is not something that future technology is going to bring about.

There are also dead give-aways like not being able to read writing (or if you do, it is different every time you look at it).

Strange, on 08 Oct 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

I assumed everyone knew they were dreaming. Apparently not.

I think that being on a train that grows wings and turns into a dragon that swims through the water while the pigs start playing the tuba ... is not something that future technology is going to bring about.

There are also dead give-aways like not being able to read writing (or if you do, it is different every time you look at it).

There's degrees of dream-state and the scenario you mention has some conscious-awareness in it ...lucid dreaming being the highest level to the point you can manipulate them.

There's degrees of dream-state and the scenario you mention has some conscious-awareness in it ...lucid dreaming being the highest level to the point you can manipulate them.

Maybe I am on a higher plane of existence then :) Or, more likely, my natural scepticism extends to the dream world.

• 2 weeks later...

So moving forward.....when we are dreaming, ....dream world is a real world.... everything looks real.there... when the dream is broken... we come back to the plane where we feel that we are awaken....with known place and known people ...isn't that possible that we switch from one virtual reality to another virtual reality ?... in one big virtual reality... we have glimpse of another short virtual reality ...if say by definition... Dream is a virtual reality ... then life is also a virtual reality... because except time period everything is same....( Dream - very short ...say few minutes and life ... say two digit number of years....)... does it make any sense...

I believe it is possible to know whether we are dreaming and thus to wake up. But only by seeing beyond the phenomenal world. As Eddington says, there is no phenomenal way out of the phenomenal world. The dreamer cannot leave the dream because that is where the dreamer lives, but he can stop dreaming.

once we came out of the dream... we know we were dreaming... but question here is that when in dream itself how do i know i am dreaming .....

I would concur, based on personal experience, that one may not recognize that one is dreaming until something triggers you to wake up. I once had the experience of sleeping so soundly while dreaming that someone could not awaken me even by shouting "wake up" in my ear while shaking my shoulder. My mind was dimly aware of the physical movement and the sound of this person's voice, but performed the mental trick of integrating his voice and actions into the scenario of my dream. The result was that my mind couldn't easily be triggered to recognize that I was asleep and (gaining that realization) to wake up!

looks like we are moving around the question..... the answer is that we can't tell we wre in dream unless we come out it... a much similar analogi is that how do i know someone know he/she in a box.. when that person had not a single glimps of the outside the box image... may be simplification purpose you consider a box a very big.. person was born there ... and never ever had a chance to come out of that...

looks like we are moving around the question..... the answer is that we can't tell we wre in dream unless we come out it...

I often know I am dreaming while still in the dream. Usually I figure it out if the dream is causing a great deal of emotional distress, and I'll suddenly realize that what is happening is a dream. At that point I can choose to continue in the dream, or choose to wake up.

• 1 month later...

Well, if you read up on DMT for example, being in that state is like something higher.

So there is.

1. Dreams (when you go to sleep at night, you dream).

2. Living now

3. DMT?

I hope it is true, because my life is not that great at the moment. I would like to wake up as a super, wealthy and handsome billionaire superstar.

are you serious? lol man