Electricity questions

Relative

In electricity, I often see + symbols and - symbols, positive and negative, I often have touched two positives together on a low voltage system, meaning a battery, to see sparks!

Is it a correct assumption that two equal polarities can not touch and force each other apart?

Does the Sun emit electrical energy?

Does the Earth emit electrical energy?

Does a positive attract a negative when talking about electrical energy?

Edited by Relative

In electricity, I often see + symbols and - symbols, positive and negative, I often have touched two positives together on a low voltage system, meaning a battery, to see sparks!

That surprises me. Unless the two positives are at different voltages, so that one is more positive than the other...

Is it a correct assumption that two equal polarities can not touch and force each other apart?

Yes, two negatives (e.g. two electrons) will repel. Two positives will positives (e.g. two protons) will repel.

Does the Sun emit electrical energy?

It is not clear what this means. Electrical energy is not really a "thing" which can be emitted. It is the work done by moving electricity around a circuit, for example.

The sun emits electrically charged particles (equal numbers of positive and negative).

Does the Earth emit electrical energy?

As above. I am not aware of the Earth emitting charged particles to any significant extent. Most of its mass loss comes from losing hydrogen atoms from the upper atmosphere.

Does a positive attract a negative when talking about electrical energy

When talking about electrical charge, then yes, opposite charges attract.

I don't think there is any such thing as "negative electrical energy".

Edited by Strange

That surprises me. Unless the two positives are at different voltages, so that one is more positive than the other...

Yes, two negatives (e.g. two electrons) will repel. Two positives will positives (e.g. two protons) will repel.

It is not clear what this means. Electrical energy is not really a "thing" which can be emitted. It is the work done by moving electricity around a circuit, for example.

The sun emits electrically charged particles (equal numbers of positive and negative).

As above. I am not aware of the Earth emitting charged particles to any significant extent. Most of its mass loss comes from losing hydrogen atoms from the upper atmosphere.

When talking about electrical charge, then yes, opposite charges attract.

I don't think there is any such thing as "negative electrical energy".

Lightning contains electrical energy?

Lightning is attracted to a negative?

The ground emits a negative when Lightning is involved?

Kinetic energy contains/makes, electricity?

I will re phrase the earth question emitting, the Earth produces Electrical energy?

The Sun produces electrical energy?

Lightning contains electrical energy?

Yes.

Lightning is attracted to a negative?

The ground emits a negative when Lightning is involved?

Sometimes. But it is usually the other way round:

Normally the negative charge collects in the cloud base, with a corresponding net positive charge in the ground under the cloud.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00054.htm

Kinetic energy contains/makes, electricity?

No.

I will re phrase the earth question emitting, the Earth produces Electrical energy?

Not in anyway I can think of. Someone else might suggest a way it does.

The Sun produces electrical energy?

It isn't clear what this means. The sun emits electrically charged particles (equal numbers of positive and negative) but I would not say it produces electrical energy. But things like solar flares are generated by complicated interactions between charged particles and magnetic fields.

But I really don't know what you are asking.

Edited by Strange

Relative, learn about Coulomb's Law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law
It's about repelling and attracting of charged objects.

Electroscope is device that will show you this in real world:

Elektroskop-Wskaznikowy.jpg

Arrow will move, when it'll have abundance of electrons (that will want to keep them self as farthest as possible from other electrons, thus causing movement of arrow).

Home made version of this device is simply Aluminum foil inside of bottle:

79_1221297174.jpg

You can buy such device on ebay for $35 dollars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electroscope-Demonstration-Case-w-Gold-Foil-8-x-3-5-x-9-5-Inches-/311079395747

Home made version of this device is simply Aluminum foil inside of bottle:

It's not clear in Sensei's picture but inside the bottle there are two thin strips (or one strip nearly torn into two) of aluminium foil.

They flap apart like a bird's wing when supplied with charge and fall back together when the charge is drained.

The earth has a magnetic field and this must be produced by an electric current in its core. However, the source and mechanism behind this current is unclear.

Thank you for the answers, and thank you for showing me the electroscope device. How does that work? is it the atmosphere you charge or is it the needle you charge?

The two bits of metal get charged and so repel each other.

Thank you for the answers, and thank you for showing me the electroscope device. How does that work? is it the atmosphere you charge or is it the needle you charge?

Electrons from outside source gather on electroscope metal leafs and they're repelling which can be seen and measured.

You could have electroscope inside of vacuum tube and it will work fine.

How to make electroscope video:

Edited by Sensei

The two bits of metal get charged and so repel each other.

Pfff, i so want to go off on a rant about this.

The electrons are attracted to the metal strips?

The metal strips contain no electrons to start of with?

Electrons from outside source gather on electroscope metal leafs and they're repelling which can be seen and measured.

You could have electroscope inside of vacuum tube and it will work fine.

How to make electroscope video:

I can make one of those thanks

No, but you can force some of them in there, like a capacitor.

I understand what is happening from the youtube video, but see something else is happening.

But will keep quiet.

Sorry I have got to ask and it is on topic, we are talking electricity, ok , we add electrons to mass, to make the strips repel, I thought all mass already contained electrons because it was atoms,?

So why does mass not repel mass if there is electrons in mass?

In a lifter, an electrical field is generated, electrons, so what electrons does the lifter repel to lift?

I can make one of those thanks

I understand what is happening from the youtube video, but see something else is happening.

But will keep quiet.

Sorry I have got to ask and it is on topic, we are talking electricity, ok , we add electrons to mass, to make the strips repel, I thought all mass already contained electrons because it was atoms,?

In a lifter, an electrical field is generated, electrons, so what electrons does the lifter repel to lift?

Does the lifter repel the electrons of the earth?

Edited by Relative

The strips are made of atoms and thus contain electrons

Even a lot of electrons.

Aluminum has 13 electrons per atom, Iron has 26 electrons per atom, and Copper has 29 electrons per atom.

But majority of them don't participate in flow of current through metal.

!

Moderator Note

Lifter technology discussion should go elsewhere. Stay on topic.

I am sorry it is based on electricity , but ok i will leave it out of thread.

Even a lot of electrons.

Aluminum has 13 electrons per atom, Iron has 26 electrons per atom, and Copper has 29 electrons per atom.

But majority of them don't participate in flow of current through metal.

You mean some electrons in mass stay dormant?

Charged electroscope metal leafs have abundance of electrons i.e. more electrons than not charged metal.

Electrons came from external source of electrons.

If you have copper metal plate that has mass m,

it has [latex]\frac{m}{m_{Cu}}[/latex] atoms.

[latex]m_{Cu}=63.546 u = 1.05521*10^{-25} kg[/latex] mass of single Copper atom.

(more info about mass atomic unit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass_unit )

So 1 kg of Copper wire has:

[latex]\frac{1 kg }{1.05521*10^{-25} kg}= 9.48*10^{24}[/latex] atoms.

and

[latex]9.48*10^{24}*29=2.748*10^{26}[/latex] electrons (when it's not charged).

You mean some electrons in mass stay dormant?

They are bound to atoms.

Charged electroscope metal leafs have abundance of electrons i.e. more electrons than not charged metal.

Electrons came from external source of electrons.

If you have copper metal plate that has mass m,

it has [latex]\frac{m}{m_{Cu}}[/latex] atoms.

[latex]m_{Cu}=63.546 u = 1.05521*10^{-25} kg[/latex] mass of single Copper atom.

(more info about mass atomic unit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_mass_unit )

So 1 kg of Copper wire has:

[latex]\frac{1 kg }{1.05521*10^{-25} kg}= 9.48*10^{24}[/latex] atoms.

and

[latex]9.48*10^{24}*29=2.748*10^{26}[/latex] electrons (when it's not charged).

They are bound to atoms.

Yes I understand bound thank you,

I do not yet understand that complex maths sorry.

I thought all mass already contained electrons because it was atoms,?

Atoms contain electrons (with negative charge) but they also contain an equal number of protons (with positive charge)

Therefore the metal does not have an overall positive and negative charge.

But when electrons are added to the plates in the electroscope, then it has an overall negative charge and so the two leaves repel each other.

Atoms contain electrons (with negative charge) but they also contain an equal number of protons (with positive charge)

Therefore the metal does not have an overall positive and negative charge.

But when electrons are added to the plates in the electroscope, then it has an overall negative charge and so the two leaves repel each other.

Thank you for confirming the information, I thought this was apart of thermodynamics?

Matter, on a quantum level, the electron is attracted to the proton, in a single atom, but also the electron is attracted to the Protons of other atoms and vice versus, electrons repelling electrons, and Protons repelling protons, so the net force of this is zero, is this how matter is able to become molecules/clusters of atoms by electrostatics and final net force of all matter been zero?

And also is decay caused by an atom losing an electron, becoming an Ion, becoming a more positive so is then repelled by the off balance of the electrostatic equilibrium?