Rat Dissection

Reny

Well, first, it'll come pre-killed, more than likely. Second, cut shallow. You can always deepen a cut that's too shallow, but you can't un-cut a cut that's too deep. Also, be patient. If you take your time and be careful, you'll have a much nicer dissection that'll make it easier to find the things your teacher wants you to find.

Mokele

I remember we did toads in high school, and had to catch toads and bring them in to be frozen. They probably hadn't been in the feezer long enough because some of the hearts were still beating when they were opened up.

In high school bio, we dissected living, but stunned frogs. A lot of the more squeamish people refused to do it, and had to write an essay instead. The classes the years after me got to dissect a yellow perch, a lamprey and a frog. (Lucky!) It wasn't that bad, I mean, I like frogs, but I like hands on learning too. Just try not to think of it as alive, more like, a science project and you will do fine.

We're all kinda fond of our frog populations in wisconsin. When we disected them in high school, they were shipped in in bags of fermaldehyde and alcohol. Definatly none living there. But I have to say, the best dissection was one of those giant grasshoppers from texas. Yummy! :D

Draba v.

...a postscript to the hope of spring.

IThe classes the years after me got to dissect a yellow perch, a lamprey and[/i'] a frog. (Lucky!)

I did a zoology class where up until the year before mine everyone got to dissect a shark. Only about three feet long, but still I missed out :-(

Hah! I dissected a frog, a worm, and a lobster in THIRD GRADE! The only memory I have of it is how stinky the formaldehyde was, and the stuff we pulled out while we were doing it...

Although it was a private school.

I know of someone who had to do live frogs. They'd stun them by sticking a probe into their neck. He stuns this frog, flips it over, and opens it up. Suddenly, the frog woke up, and it lept away. Of course, it left all of its guts behind. Probably the most disgusting thing I've heard of.

In high school bio, we dissected living, but stunned frogs. A lot of the more squeamish people refused to do it, and had to write an essay instead. The classes the years after me got to dissect a yellow perch, a lamprey and[/i'] a frog. (Lucky!) It wasn't that bad, I mean, I like frogs, but I like hands on learning too. Just try not to think of it as alive, more like, a science project and you will do fine.

In high school advanced biology, we had to dissect a cat. We had lab exams, and I had to take it home with me on the bus so I could study it. No one would sit with me - then, when I got it home, mom wouldn't allow it in the house, so I was outside on the porch in the dead of winter. (Paid off - I got an "A").

When I took biology, we also had to "pith" a frog for a live dissection. I dislike killing things, so reluctantly, the bio prof agreed to do it for me. It hopped out of his hands and took off across the floor, to my squeals of "Go, froggy, Go!" It squeezed in behind a built in lab cabinet from whence it could not be dislodged. The prof looked at me and said, "that thing's going to die in here and stink up the whole class."

I saw him a few months ago and he still remembers the episode, we both got a good laugh from it.

In high school advanced biology' date=' we had to dissect a cat. We had lab exams, and I had to take it home with me on the bus so I could study it. No one would sit with me - then, when I got it home, mom wouldn't allow it in the house, so I was outside on the porch in the dead of winter. (Paid off - I got an "A").

When I took biology, we also had to "pith" a frog for a live dissection. I dislike killing things, so reluctantly, the bio prof agreed to do it for me. It hopped out of his hands and took off across the floor, to my squeals of "Go, froggy, Go!" It squeezed in behind a built in lab cabinet from whence it could not be dislodged. The prof looked at me and said, "that thing's going to die in here and stink up the whole class."

I saw him a few months ago and he still remembers the episode, we both got a good laugh from it.[/quote']

Reminds me of E.T eh?! :D

• 2 weeks later...

As I carefully chip away the unwanted parts of a lamb’s kidney, my class mate looked at my pile and replied: “look he is mincing it Yuk!” followed with the other gang of ignorant bastards saying: “What the f*** are you doing?” I didnt reply...

Soon I ended up having the best looking dissection in the class. ;)

May their bloody thoughts be doomed! :mad:

This thursday I'm going for the real rat dissection test. :D Last fews weeks during trial, lucky for me to pick a virgin. Some of my friends picked pregnant rats... :eek: Some males got organ bleeding :-(

My NIDA grant calls for killing approximately 225 rats during the course of my studies.

I have a friend who sac'ed rats for years. She lost her grant and I hired her part time to work in my office. My machinist guys thought they'd initiate her by putting a rat trap with a fake dead rat in the lunch room. It was wireless and they could make it twitch when someone approached.

They thought she'd run screaming from the room. Instead, she stuck her head out the door and told them the first rule of saccing rats was to be sure you killed them cleanly. She then went on to fix her coffee and didn't bat an eye. She was one of 'em from that day forward.

• 11 months later...

we did a dissection in class and the person i was doing it with wanted to look at the brain of the rat. advice: do not stab the scissors at the head because they might get stuck in the eye socket.

the skin is kinda tough so you gotta cut firmly yto get through, but gently a the same time so you dont cut stuff you didint want cut.