Laniakea: Our home supercluster

IM Egdall

!

Moderator Note

IM Egdall,

We would greatly appreciate it if you indicate the purpose of this thread: discuss something, or answer a question you have (for example). Our forum is not meant as a place to just "share" stuff, like you might on other social media or websites. We like to discuss things, or answer questions here. Since your post most likely is not commercial, we'll leave it this time. We would still appreciate it if you come back here and mention the purpose/topic of this thread.

Our Milky Way galaxy found to be in the outskirts of a great galaxy super cluster - it has been named Laniakea (immeasurable heaven in Hawaiian). It contains some 100,000 galaxies stretched over 520 mega-light-years.

In the video above, the galaxies are lined up in great cosmic webs. I think this is a result of how dark matter forms. And where dark matter is densest, galaxies tend to form.

I was so moved when I followed this news item .

I felt part of a new community of galaxies . The Laniakea Cluster

A huge body of galaxies , as ancient mariners sailed under the starry heavens . Now with the added perception of structures in the skies , I rushed out this afternoon and painted an abstract. ". Sailing among the Stars of the Laniakea Cosmoc Structure "

1 st quick edition . Going to do a massive version with more star details .

post-33514-0-52602000-1409947235_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

I am trying to get my head around this , our new superstructure home. " Laniakea "

I assume we are on the Extreme edge of this super cluster, next to the Perseus cluster being pulled the other way. Right hand side.

We appear to be flowing toward the Great Attractor Near Centaurus. But where on this diagram is The great attractor ?

Is it at the Left Hand junction of the feathery shape ? ( while we are on the extreme right )

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.