Are there any mistakes in the Bible?

yahya515

I agree that the "kingdom of heaven" is a completely made up notion, but the problem is you cannot check that, it seems not even in principal. So we kind of have to just discount it, it is not a statement that that can be corroborated or fully contradicted. It is not the kind of 'mistake' that we can argue with in the sense that yahya515 means. Though I am not 100% sure what he is looking for.

The fable in question does seem strange. I don't know if something is lost in the translation or if the social and political situation of the time of Jesus sets a more clear context. As it stands it does seem inconsistent, as you point out.

I agree that the "kingdom of heaven" is a completely made up notion, but the problem is you cannot check that, it seems not even in principal.

You don't need to.

It's wrong anyway (unless the "proper" interpretation is so obscure as to make the terms meaningless.)

From the point of view of someone who believes the whole "God" thing, it's still wrong, because you can't steal heaven.

From the point of view of someone who believes the whole "God" thing, it's still wrong, because you can't steal heaven.

It makes me wonder if this is being misinterpreted somehow. Anyway I get your point.

How is that a mistake? It is some strange metaphor and one that you have interpreted as you have. But again how is this factually wrong? It is inconsistent with other parts of the bible?

although theft is not allowed in the bible , the verse states that theft is good, it is the same as for instance the bible saying: church addiction is like adultery addiction, this means adultery is good.

although theft is not allowed in the bible , the verse states that theft is good, it is the same as for instance the bible saying: church addiction is like adultery addiction, this means adultery is good.

So they should report the find to the Police, so they can steal it instead?

I had already given a reason why it wasn't theft. The owner selling the field isn't the owner of the jewels either.

Edited by Robittybob1

So they should report the find to the Police, so they can steal it instead?

I had already given a reason why it wasn't theft. The owner selling the field isn't the owner of the jewels either.

the treasure is his, whether he is aware of it or not, he owns the land so he owns everything in it.

the treasure is his, whether he is aware of it or not, he owns the land so he owns everything in it.

Well, that depends on what it is and what the laws are of the land. I have no idea what the law in that region at that time was.

Anyway, this story is a way of trying to make some point. It looks like it is difficult to interpret today. I think we can agree on that.

Well, that depends on what it is and what the laws are of the land. I have no idea what the law in that region at that time was.

Anyway, this story is a way of trying to make some point. It looks like it is difficult to interpret today. I think we can agree on that.

It is the same for any entrepreneur if they can see a fortune to be made from a certain property they don't have to advise the current owner. No they just give the owner a good fair price and reap the reward for themselves.

It is the same for any entrepreneur if they can see a fortune to be made from a certain property they don't have to advise the current owner. No they just give the owner a good fair price and reap the reward for themselves.

I am not talking about law, I am talking about religion and its laws, what if a blind man holding a 1000 dollar note gave it to you as a 10 dollar, if you took it as a 10 dollar note no law would punish you but what about God?

I am not talking about law, I am talking about religion and its laws, what if a blind man holding a 1000 dollar note gave it to you as a 10 dollar, if you took it as a 10 dollar note no law would punish you but what about God?

That is a bit different isn't it. I know the first person to be punished will be the blind person for his money has disappeared and he can't explain it fully but he will say "Christ I think I handed over a 1000 dollars by mistake!"

Only the conscience of the person who handled the money will know whether that was a sin or not.

There was a time I'd take the money too, but not now, I make sure of that as I want a pure conscience.

Should one make a distinction between the laws as defined by religion and what would God do?

The reason being we don't have any evidence of God and so it is impossible to at it would do, assuming that it existed. Laws of the land and religious laws are something we can discuss in a 'less hypothetical' way.

Should one make a distinction between the laws as defined by religion and what would God do?

The reason being we don't have any evidence of God and so it is impossible to at it would do, assuming that it existed. Laws of the land and religious laws are something we can discuss in a 'less hypothetical' way.

Well what about the law as given by angels then?

Well what about the law as given by angels then?

I was under the impression they were God's messengers... anyway the same applies. We have no evidence of angels and so we cannot easily discuss what an angel would do.

I was under the impression they were God's messengers... anyway the same applies. We have no evidence of angels and so we cannot easily discuss what an angel would do.

I'm not sure if they have set roles like that. There have been reports of angels throughout history, and even some fairly recent ones. OK they are still rare and not easily studied.

I'll have to see what is on YouTube, see if anyone has captured an angel on video?

There was a time I'd take the money too, but not now, I make sure of that as I want a pure conscience.

How can you have a pure conscience if you know that you were once capable of such a sin? I would continue to feel guilt over having entertained such thoughts.

I'm not sure if they have set roles like that. There have been reports of angels throughout history, and even some fairly recent ones. OK they are still rare and not easily studied.

I'll have to see what is on YouTube, see if anyone has captured an angel on video?

I would say that there is no creditable evidence that angles as depicted in the bible exist.

So this, makes it very hypothetical. Just as the discussion of what God would do. The best one could possible do is try to interpret what the bible says in this regard.

Anyway, I would like to try to have some distinction between laws 'set by God' whatever that means and religious laws set by man, as we know what the latter means.

How can you have a pure conscience if you know that you were once capable of such a sin? I would continue to feel guilt over having entertained such thoughts.

Not just thoughts, but deeds. How does one get away from a past like that? I bent my knee and humbled myself in front of the Lord and asked for forgiveness for my many sins too sick to repeat. It worked.

I would say that there is no creditable evidence that angles as depicted in the bible exist.

Keep in mind that there were different kind of angles. Some of them were very perceptive; these were the acute angles. Others spoke cryptically; these were the obtuse angles. Only a few were infallible; these were the right angles. And some just reacted automatically to events; these were the reflex angles.

Edited by Ophiolite

So this, makes it very hypothetical. Just as the discussion of what God would do. The best one could possible do is try to interpret what the bible says in this regard.

Anyway, I would like to try to have some distinction between laws 'set by God' whatever that means and religious laws set by man, as we know what the latter means.

YT has some interesting stories on angels. It is when they interact with people you know or even yourself then you don't feel so sure that it is all hypothetical. I used to tell stories but they would cause too much protest, so I'm reluctant to divulge too much here, I not sure of the tolerance given here on this forum.

Keep in mind that there were different kind of angles. Some of them were very perceptive; these were the acute angles. Others spoke cryptically; these were the obtuse angles. Only a few were infallible; these were the right angles. And some just reacted automatically to events; these were the reflex angles.

Cute angels are my favorite! You've got to look at the issue from both sides and from all the angles.

Keep in mind that there were different kind of angles.

LOL, thanks you just can't stop me thinking maths!

YT has some interesting stories on angels. It is when they interact with people you know or even yourself then you don't feel so sure that it is all hypothetical. I used to tell stories but they would cause too much protest, so I'm reluctant to divulge too much here, I not sure of the tolerance given here on this forum.

Anecdotal evidence is not good enough.

Anyway, we run the risk of hijacking this thread. If you want to discuss angels then start a new thread. You will have to think carefully where to place it. Maybe here in the religion section, or maybe the Lounge or Speculations. It will depend on your take on the subject. If you want to discus angles, then the mathematics section will be okay.

That is a bit different isn't it.

1000 dollars =land with treasure

10 dollars = land without treasure

blind man = land owner who does not know about his treasure.

he gave you a 1000 dollar note = he sold his land with treasure.

you took it as a 10 dollar note= the buyer took the land as pure land assuming it does not contain treasure.

you did not tell the blind man that he gave you a 1000 dollar note= the buyer did not tell the seller that he had a land full of treasure.

finally: the owner owns the land and the treasure= the blind man owns the 1000 dollars.

1000 dollars =land with treasure

10 dollars = land without treasure

blind man = land owner who does not know about his treasure.

he gave you a 1000 dollar note = he sold his land with treasure.

you took it as a 10 dollar note= the buyer took the land as pure land assuming it does not contain treasure.

you did not tell the blind man that he gave you a 1000 dollar note= the buyer did not tell the seller that he had a land full of treasure.

finally: the owner owns the land and the treasure= the blind man owns the 1000 dollars.

I can't imagine how I'm going to teach you anything. You are one of the most stubborn persons I've ever known.