The Human Mind/Time itself

I don't know if this is classified as a psychological subject, but it is strange starange to think about.

I belive that time is controlled by the mind. That the faster ones mind is, (Idon't no really that much about the human mind, so I'll just say brainwaves.) the faster time goes. I actually did some research on the subject and can give conclusivve evidence. I won't post though until someone asks me, other wise it would be a waste of time.

Originally posted by KHinfcube22

I don't know if this is classified as a psychological subject, but it is strange starange to think about.

I belive that time is controlled by the mind. That the faster ones mind is, (Idon't no really that much about the human mind, so I'll just say brainwaves.) the faster time goes. I actually did some research on the subject and can give conclusivve evidence. I won't post though until someone asks me, other wise it would be a waste of time.

I'd like to see!

How fast you're experiencing time is quite subjective though. You would really never know if you were experiencing time faster than anyone else, because unless you had personally experienced their perception, you would figure what you were experiencing was normal.

there is a difference between time, and perception of time. "time" will carry on happening regardless.. it is not "controlled" by the faster mind. merely the faster mind either processes the information faster, or has less information to process... for example a fly.

I get your point, but perception is a major factor in how time works. when I say time goes faster, I do mean one percepts it faster, and since all is in the "eye of the beholder" the time for one goes faster when one "thinks" faster. Lets say one was to "percept" time moving backwards, (which is actualy improbable, but possible) one would travel backwards in time. Time is not a constant, its a varible that is diffrent with each person. (when I talk of time, I mean the mental time which one conciously lives in. not the physical stand point in which all follow.) Fafalone's idea of never being able to be sucked into a black hole only further proves it. But if one wants my calculations for this theory, you'll have to wait until I gather it into one essay. That will take a while.

lets say i sit an a room with out clocks for a while and i feel like about 10minutes has gone by. in actuallity it may be 25mintues.in this case my perception of time and actually time are different.

think about whenever you lose track of time. you feel like a certain amount has gone by but when you check a clock you find that you were way off.

thats not what I'm talkin about. Anyway, if your sittin in a room, and you think only ten minutes has gone by, and realy 25 has, your mot likely doin something that keeps your mind busy, otherwise if you just sat and did nothin, when it seems 10 min. has gone by, 1 or 2 has actualy gone.

• 1 month later...

thats not what I'm talkin about. Anyway, if your sittin in a room, and you think only ten minutes has gone by, and realy 25 has, your mot likely doin something that keeps your mind busy, otherwise if you just sat and did nothin, when it seems 10 min. has gone by, 1 or 2 has actualy gone.

That sounds like your hinting relativity.... :D

Anyway, the mind is actually a philosophical aspect. Definition of mind: The brain is the organ of the mind. Although this definition may implie two seperate entities, it does not.

__

Time is not controlled by the mind. Time is percieved by the mind. I'd like to see your evidence.

you are being tremendously subjective.

That's to do with perception, rather than reality. I could be colour blind, but it doesn't mean that colours don't exist.

• 1 month later...

what about when your sleeping? because when you sleep and you dream doesn't it seem like you create time? I mean within 8 hours of sleep its almost neverending, so many things can happen within that short of realistic time right?

i also meant to give another example, like for instance, i fell asleep yesterday laying in the sun outside, for a good 10 mins, i woke up and it felt like 2 hours had gone by, whats the explanation for that?

I take the so-called relational view of time, namely that it (as well as space) is just a mode of existence of matter. We only came up with the concept of time because of observing motion, and this is most definitely not controlled by the mind.

Someone touched on the difference between "time" and "the perception of time", and that is a key distinction to make. Put someone in an underground tunnel for a week (or some other partial sense depravation device) and he will completely lose track of time, because he has no reference to motion (namely, our motion about the Sun). That is, unless he is greatly skilled at saying "one Mississippi...two Mississippi..." at a regular beat, even while sleeping.

Originally posted by KinG

i also meant to give another example, like for instance, i fell asleep yesterday laying in the sun outside, for a good 10 mins, i woke up and it felt like 2 hours had gone by, whats the explanation for that?

Do know what goes on in ones head when one sleeps? You only dream for twenty minutes at a time, whichs seems funny to say, while your asleep. The time period between dream sequences is you mind changing speeds, and because of that you don't notice the separtion between each part of you dream. Its like a movie, you can't see the separtion of each individual frame. Thats why when one dreams, after a certain period of time, the dream will change.

And your statment further prove that your mind has something to with time. To have dreams, one must be in what is known as REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, and to in the stasus REM, ones brain waves must be in what is known to perfessionals as Beta. In Beta, your brainwaves are ALOT slower than when you are awake, which would explain why to one, an hour has by when really only 20 mon. has.

Do know what goes on in ones head when one sleeps? You only dream for twenty minutes at a time, whichs seems funny to say, while your asleep. The time period between dream sequences is you mind changing speeds, and because of that you don't notice the separtion between each part of you dream. Its like a movie, you can't see the separtion of each individual frame. Thats why when one dreams, after a certain period of time, the dream will change.

And your statment further prove that your mind has something to with time. To have dreams, one must be in what is known as REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, and to in the stasus REM, ones brain waves must be in what is known to perfessionals as Beta. In Beta, your brainwaves are ALOT slower than when you are awake, which would explain why to one, an hour has by when really only 20 mon. has.

Jesus.....again it's still perception! Is this getting through? Who cares if I feel if it's a minute or a second of some time span. It doesn't affect the natural flow of anything except for decisions I make based on perception. That piece of pizza in my fridge is still going to go bad whether I want it to or not; that is unless I eat it.