I'm working on a "road-safety" device

kjfunh

So I'm working on a science project for my school fair, which is about traffic safety.

In the picture, my vehicle is the yellow one.The other colors are just for identification.

The device will search for vehicles in your range ( this will be set), measuring its speed and predict whether its gonna collide or not

So, I would like to ask what sensors do I need and how to program them

post-106656-0-31691900-1409469977_thumb.png

Working on a device about traffic safety.This device will check whenther what vehicles are in your range, measuring its speed and warn if its gonna collide with you or not.

So , what are the alogarithms to check if its gonna collide.I thought up one is that you predict where the car will go to if it keeps moving that way with the constant speed, check yours and then see if 2 lines intersect ( within like, 1km, 1 mile, or sth like that), calculate the time it needs to get to that point=> If you get there in x (measure in miliseconds) and it also gets there in near x miliseconds->Collide

Also , there will be a camera taking picture at 1/1000 secs to warn you collision=> helps you to dodge

So, I wanna ask what sensors you need and any alogarithms ?

Such devices exist (using radar) but are hardly at school science level.

There are also radio regulatory issues.

Are you just programming a simulator or are you thinking of building hardware and what do your teachers think?

A slightly less ambitious project where all the other vehicles carry 'bleepers or flashers' could be made to work, within the ambit of school science.

This could well show all the principles involved, without the need to try to produce specially modified radar.

:)