Are cuss words acceptable in society

yovanymunoz

!

Moderator Note

There is no need to delete the thread - it is informative. And people here tend to enjoy being annoyed - they are natural disputants who enjoy a good argument; so no real need to apologize either. We just have our rules here that we have established over quite a few years and when new members question them there is a robust response.

Oh youre the moderator. Can you delete the thread? Im sorry if i bugged people

You didn't bug me. My responses were designed to encourage you to actually think before you post. If that, apparently aggressive, act bugs you, then my work here is done. People are at their most creative when they are annoyed.

Can you even cuss on this site.

Btw, im a visionary and im smart

No not really but I do not think being socially acceptable is really what determines if they are allowed on this website. Also how does not realizing that cuss words are not appropriate show you are "A visionary and smart"? All though most of the words are legitimate words that were just overused as insults and so were considered cuss words. The BI Word=a female dog, The BA word=a child who does not know one of its parents. However the BA is overused to someone you just think is a jerk but being a BA is going to probably damage a persons self esteem a bit and calling a female a Bi is the same as calling her a whore.

Edited by Marshalscienceguy

The moderators have considered meaning too narrowly. By their standards, the words Hello, Aw, and yum are meaningless.

Cuss words express subjective associations like frustration, contempt, or surprise. Coitus is technical. Making love is tender or romantic. Fucking is contemptuous or debasing. What the fuck is frustrating or freakish. Holy fuck is daunting or impressive.

I can think of a few reasons for discouraging their use.

1. Mundane use reduces their impact in serious situations, e.g. What the fuck!

2. Some provide an outlet for the (often impulsive) expression of socially unacceptable feelings.

3. Some are debasing, and using them conveys that these debasing attitudes are acceptable or even cool.

Edited by MonDie

The above posts are perceptive. But they don't get round this serious fact - that nowadays, there are some words which are absolutely taboo.

Especially one word, which no-one dares to write or type, for fear of the consequences.

Doesn't this demonstrate the power of language?

The above posts are perceptive. But they don't get round this serious fact - that nowadays, there are some words which are absolutely taboo.

Especially one word, which no-one dares to write or type, for fear of the consequences.

Doesn't this demonstrate the power of language?

You are going to have to give me a clue on that one...

Taboo words are nothing new.

True, but some words are now so absolutely taboo, that their mere mention is not just a matter of "tut -tutting". Rather, they guarantee instant exit from the whole website.

This seems a new, irrational, non-scientific phenomenon of recent years

True, but some words are now so absolutely taboo, that their mere mention is not just a matter of "tut -tutting". Rather, they guarantee instant exit from the whole website.

This seems a new, irrational, non-scientific phenomenon of recent years

Yes well, your propensity for putting yourself at the brink of expulsion here is well known as is your poor reasoning and bigoted commentary. In the vulgar vernacular, tough shit. :P

Edited by Acme

• 2 weeks later...

Language is a tool used to communicate your ideas.

You tailor the tool to the job at hand.

If the job is communicating with reasonably intelligent people, then proper language is expected.

I have found almost all on this forum to be intelligent and use language appropriately when addressing them. That doesn't mean there aren't some who are quick to jump to wrong interpretations, are stubborn, can 'push your buttons', and even though intelligent, can be obnoxious. For those individuals, you need to be extra careful not to use words that they find offensive, so 'cuss' words and others are still not a good choice.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It depends on what words and how you say them. If you are joking with a good friend and you are not offending anyone it might be fun for both of you. If the other person doesn´t like those words then it may be better to stop using them in their company.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's all about appropriation. There's always a time and place for everything, and we must be sensitive when we use our language around people. We all have the right to freely express our ideas, but cuss words just don't bode well for some people, or won't do well in formal settings where everyone is expected to act professionally. Personally, I think cuss words aren't "insulting" or disturbing, but they are unwelcome in a formal setting because you have to be prim in speech and deeds. Cuss words are seen as such-- as, you know, cuss words, because they have no real meaning, and they are just fillers. If you use cuss words in formal settings, it suggests poor vocabulary, no manners, you know, 18th century stuff. In some settings, better words may be used in place of cuss words. (I think!). We just love saying them because we attach our emotions when we do blurt out a cuss word.

I think it's all about appropriation. There's always a time and place for everything, and we must be sensitive when we use our language around people.

Appropriateness.

I'm always fascinated by the curse of Muphry's Law. It seems to strike whenever we start talking about being careful with language.

Sorry, I just find it really fucking funny. :embarass:

I have read a bloody interesting study done in Russian army (I'll try and find a link when I'm back at my computer) which found that commands given using cuss words tend to be some 20% shorter than using normal terms and as such are preferrable in combat situations.

I had a couple of posts removed recently (that or there was some kinda crash and they never posted) - I wondered if it was because of language. One post I was frustrated at someone taking over 500 posts to still argue against what everyone was trying to explain to him and I used the abbreviation ffs. The second I was surprised about. I called the recent attitude of the Malaysian government backward and retarded with regard to their views that a semi naked selfie could cause an earthquake.

Are the words 'retarded' and 'backward' banned here? I mean, it wasn't a personal attack on anyone - putting someone in jail for 'upsetting the mountain spirits' and being quoted saying 'there is OBVIOUSLY a connection with their behavior and the earthquake' IS backward. Just a fact - not an insult. lol

Thanks Hype... I was a little angry at the time and was probably very sarcastic when I started that thread. I part meant it to be insulting, but not to anyone who is retarded of course. I meant and still believe that the views held by the official in the Malaysian government were retarded. That's not an insult, I believe it to be a fact. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Its because this website is from the united kingdom

Im latin

I believe in freedom of speech

I also dont really believe in moderators

Im going to make a website where freedom of speech is allowed

You best start believing in ghost stories,

You're in one.

"I don't believe in moderators" is probably illiterate - if not I compare it to solipsism.

If it wasn't for the moderators, this forum wouldn't work. If you're seeking a freer forum then try something non-field specific.

However, you're not supposed to agree with the moderators, just follow their rules - being fair, some of them are probably intelligent and should be listened to.

Edited by s1eep