Best Pet?

Deified

I have begun to realize that I am turning into a lonely old man (all of 15 years) sitting here brooding in my basement and I decided that I needed a companion. Since my social skills amount to basically nil I think it best that this companion be non-human. So, I am looking for the perfect pet within these parameters:

1. Should be friendly, or at least entertaining

2. Smell should be not terrible

3. Living accomodations should be cheap, (>$100)

4. SHould have an interesting mind ( I might enjoy doing some experiments on animal intelligence)

Hit me with ideas people. What pets have you liked in the past/present?

A dog. You cannot necessarily depend upon a cat to be friendly. You can accomodate a dog in your home if you can do the housebreaking, but sometimes you can find older dogs that are already housebroken. You will need to budget for the initial vaccinations and your nearby vet can inform you about what those cost. A small dog does not eat much but my German Shepherd consumes about $20 worth of dog food a month. Vet and possible kennels costs can run you some considerable bucks.

Working class dogs are your most intelligent breeds but sometimes mutts can be great. What interaction do you anticipate with your pet? Most dogs can be taught to fetch and can accompany you on walks. One of the best things about a dog is that they will demand attention. They will want you to pet them. One of the things people living alone sometimes miss is that stimulation of the tactile sense. No, dogs cannot hug you but most of them will kiss you.

Since budget is a consideration, you might want to do a little research on the genetic diseases of dogs. Avoid breeds that can have hip displasia (larger working breeds) and cervical disk problems (dachsunds) and blindness (collies). If you live in an apartment and are concerned about disturbing your neighbors, avoid the yappy breeds.

Regards,

Coral

Well, my favorite pet by far is my Blue Tegu, a species a 4-foot lizard from South America. He's friendly, fascinating, and quite intelligent (I've house-trained him, in a way), but he's also rather expensive to house.

But there's plenty of other reptiles that're small, cheap, easy to care for, and fun. Corn snakes, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, kingsnakes...just no boas or pythons except a ball python.

Tarantullas and scorpions are quite cool as well, but I dunno that much about keeping them.

Or, if you wanted to be boring, you could have one of those over-evolved rat-things, a mammal. Bleh. Good eating, though. ;)

Mokele

Tarantullas and scorpions are quite cool as well, but I dunno that much about keeping them.

As long as you pick the right species, they're very easy to look after. Spiders are a leeetle bit fussier than scorpions, and more likely to make a break for freedom.

I have a wonderful black lab named Sadie and an 18-1/2 year old neutered male cat named "The Toad" (his real name is Tuffy, but even when he was a kitten, he used to sit like a toad... head down, haunches out, front feet turned in, so he has been "The Toad" ever since.")

If you get a dog, you have to remember that they are very social creatures. You can't leave them for an extended length of time, because they need to be walked. And... in my humble opinion, "crate training" a dog and leaving it shut up in a wire cage all day while you are gone to work should be a crime.

Cats are much more solitary, and can be left longer. If they have a clean litter box, a self feeder for dry food, and plenty of water, you can leave them for more than a day.

I think the ideal companions for you would be 2 adult cats that have been together. Lots of times people have to give up their pets for one reason or another. If you can find 2 young adult cats, you won't have to worry about litter box training, they'll be over the curtain climbing stage, and they'll keep each other company while you are gone.

You could get a couple of small dogs, if you can provided them with a fenced in yard and a pet door so they can go in and out.

In any case - you have to consider whether you can give the animal the companionship it deserves.

In my opinion, you can't do much better than a dog. After all, they are the oldest domesticated animal. I personally have a very large rat who is very affectionate, kind of like having a small dog. As for dogs, I have an australian shepherd and a shih tzu. Despite appearances, shih tzus are quite smart and affectionate, but they tend to bark. They also don't shed. Australian shepherds are loving, energetic and intelligent, but they are also territorial and get hip problems. Do research on what breed is best for you. Coral is right about cats. While many people stand by them as superior pets, they are usually solitary and nocturnal. Plus they act weird sometimes. My mom's cats like to use my room as a litterbox. The odor of their feces and urine knows no equal. As for reptiles, I have heard that Bearded Dragons are affectionate pets.

Plus they act weird sometimes. My mom's cats like to use my room as a litterbox. The odor of their feces and urine knows no equal.

Why can't you keep your bedroom door closed? You said "cats" plural. Some cats won't share a litter box, they each have to have their own personal spot. Ask your mom to provide a separate litter box for each cat.

The way to my cat's litterbox is through a narrow area - I inadvertantly blocked it off and was away for a few hours. Would you believe, when he couldn't hold it anymore, he peed in his own bed instead of on my floor?

A Dog.....

Our Wheaton terrier is our best friend. Sleeps on my bed with me.

Just a word of caution. Don't get a pet unless your ready for one. A dog can live 18 years and you have to show it lots of love and attention. They need that. It has to become part of your life not a fill in.

Bettina

When I lived in the country, I trained all our cats to use the bathroom outdoors. This was no problem. I read somewhere that something like 75% of cats can learn to do this. Twice my neutered female was locked in by accident while I took an extended trip to town. She used the drain hole of the bathtub as a make shift toilet. (Cats are very smart.) Toilet problems arise with unneutered males. If they begin to "mark" your indoors as their territory, you will never get rid of the odor.

Mokele, while you are here, could you tell me why lizards do push ups?

It's a "look at me, I'm so big" display. It's used both in courtship and dominance contexts, to emphasize the size and power of the animal. Same for head-bobbing. It actually consumes a lot of energy, so is a pretty good indication of the vigour of an individual (usually a male, but females can get territorial too).

Mokele

I've always preferred cats myself, I like their independence. Just two thoughts.

1. Dogs have masters, cats have "staff".

2. Cats will tolerate humans until the day we invent a "Paw operated can opener."

I have begun to realize that I am turning into a lonely old man (all of 15 years)....Since my social skills amount to basically nil...

Mate, you're fifteen, go out and have some fun. If you're like me at that age, you're shy and a bit short on confidence. Me, I took up dancing.

Don't laugh, I had two left feet. But after a while, you learn and get good at it. This helps your confidence immensely. ;):D And just between you and I, a fellow that can dance gets extremely popular with the ladies.

Why can't you keep your bedroom door closed? You said "cats" plural. Some cats won't share a litter box, they each have to have their own personal spot. Ask your mom to provide a separate litter box for each cat.

I pretty much have a loft room, with a curtain, no door. The cats go in and out as they please. I will tell my mother to get seperate litter boxes, thats a good idea. Thanks.

Me' date=' I took up dancing.

Don't laugh, I had two left feet. But after a while, you learn and get good at it. This helps your confidence immensely. ;):D And just between you and I, a fellow that can dance gets [i']extremely[/i] popular with the ladies.

He's right. i can't, and refuse to dance becasue I think its stupid, and I always noticed many young women love guys with that sort of confidence.