Tractor Beam

elementcollector1

Hear me out here, because I feel like this shouldn't work but I don't know why.

Here are the two pieces of knowledge I base this off of:

-The concept of acoustic levitation is that a standing wave of sound produces enough force to lift an object in midair and hold it.

-If one takes a sufficiently thick piece of paper or thin sheet metal, folds it in half, places an object between the two parts of the fold and attempts to make the angle of the fold more acute, the object is drawn back toward them until it pops out of the wedge.

Therefore, if one was to make a cone of sound sufficiently powerful (whether that entails higher frequency, volume, or both), point it at an object so the object is just barely within the confines of the cone, and narrow the angle, wouldn't the object move towards them?

Yes, I'm already aware of the microscale experiments, but they work a bit differently. I'm talking macroscale - upwards of a pound, if at all possible. I found this upon further research:

http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.112.174302

Hopefully, with the cone of sound, this is possible with non-triangular objects.

• 4 weeks later...