Are There Shooting Stars On Mars?

GeeKay

I read somewhere recently that the atmospheric pressure on Mars is equivalent to that on Earth at an altitude of some 35 (miles/km?). This being the case, would the Martian atmosphere still be dense enough to burn up small incoming meteors? Many thanks.

Since the density of atmosphere on Mars is about one percent as dense as Earth's, then I would expect that on Mars you would only see about 1% as many shooting stars as you would on Earth. Am I wrong?

Edited by Airbrush

I understand that many meteor trails we observe here on Earth occur considerably high up above the ground. If so, it would be a question of comparing the average air density of Earth's stratosphere with Mars' own rather more attenuated atmosphere. I guess too that Mars being a somewhat smaller 'target' for meteors would also affect the data, though I may be wrong here. That said, I'm inclined to agree with Moontanman that the meteorite strike rate would be a lot higher on Mars than on Earth - though still next to nothing compared to the intense peppering our airless Moon must receive on a daily basis!

I would think that more smaller meteorites hit Mars than Earth...

Certainly, because they would not burn up in the low-density atmosphere. The question is about "shooting stars" or meteors that burn up in the atmosphere, not hits on Mars. Shooting stars would be seen much fewer than on Earth because the ones we see are mostly the size of sand grains. That sized meteor may not burn at all upon impacting the atmosphere of Mars. Or it would not start to burn until nearly impacting the surface. So shooting stars would be fewer and shorter in duration on Mars. It would take something larger, maybe the size of a baseball (anyone know?), to create the shooting star effect we see in our night skys.

Edited by Airbrush

I read somewhere recently that the atmospheric pressure on Mars is equivalent to that on Earth at an altitude of some 35 (miles/km?). This being the case, would the Martian atmosphere still be dense enough to burn up small incoming meteors? Many thanks.

Most of the 'shooting stars' on earth occur in the mesosphere, which runs from about 30 - 60 miles above the surface of the earth. Therefore I would expect that small incoming meteors would burn up in Mars' atmosphere just as they would in Earth's atmosphere, only much closer to the surface of Mars.

Most of the 'shooting stars' on earth occur in the mesosphere, which runs from about 30 - 60 miles above the surface of the earth. Therefore I would expect that small incoming meteors would burn up in Mars' atmosphere just as they would in Earth's atmosphere, only much closer to the surface of Mars.

Good observation. The frequency of "shooting stars" seen from the surface of Mars would be the same as seen on Earth, only seen closer, the blaze would occur closer to the viewer.

I agree with zapatos' post. Most shooting stars will start to heat up ('burn up' if you want) in the upper atmosphere, so Mars' atmosphere should be dense enough to cause the same effect, only closer to the surface.

On earth, a meteorite has to be of a particular significant size to make it all the way to the surface. On Mars, I assume that the size limit to make it all the way to the surface is much smaller.