With Whom You Stand?

harshgoel1975

Odd as it may see, I have never decided to kill someone for their beliefs in those matters.

Sadly, it seems that religion brings forth different behaviour.

Just because you never have doesn't mean other people won't.

I’m an atheist, so of course I don’t think there’s a god, in any sense, but that doesn’t mean I would seek to deny the comfort such an idea brings to the vast majority of believers.

Of course some religious ideas/interpretations are extreme, but then all societies, however structured, would produce extreme ideas.

Maybe we should just tolerate those that think differently and accept the possibility, however remote, that their ideas are better.

Just because you never have doesn't mean other people won't.

No, but on the other hand, I can guarantee that , as we speak, there are plenty of people killing one another in God's name and none doing so in the name of atheism.

Dimreaper, if all it offered was comfort, I'd be happy to ignore it.

But check out the death toll.

Also, consider what it does to people's ability to think clearly:do you think this is an acceptable side-effect of that comforting illusion?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/21/children-religion-fact-fiction_n_5607009.html

No, but on the other hand, I can guarantee that , as we speak, there are plenty of people killing one another in God's name and none doing so in the name of atheism.

Which is irrelevant to my point.

Dimreaper, if all it offered was comfort, I'd be happy to ignore it.

But check out the death toll.

Also, consider what it does to people's ability to think clearly:do you think this is an acceptable side-effect of that comforting illusion?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/21/children-religion-fact-fiction_n_5607009.html

John, how often is it the lack of tolerance rather than the idea, or lack thereof, that brings more deaths?

Without someone telling them that "God says it's OK" it is rather difficult to get people to kill other people.

They managed it in WWI and WWII and many others; whilst god was certainly involved in WWI, he was far less evident in WWII.

God maybe a convenient excuse but god is seldom the reason and even when god is involved it’s intolerance that rules the day.

They managed it in WWI and WWII and many others; whilst god was certainly involved in WWI, he was far less evident in WWII.

God maybe a convenient excuse but god is seldom the reason and even when god is involved it’s intolerance that rules the day.

The bulk of people fighting in both WWI and WWII were religious. So while religion may not have been the cause it did speak to the hearts of those involved. When it spoke "stop" apparently wasn't what it said.

One of the many problems I have with religion is the implication that humanity is a finished product. God created man and we are that creation.There are paths that can be walked where one either is living as God intended or not but humanity is basically prefect as created by God. Ironically the attitude is the antithesis of being humble. Humans are not a finished product, are not the end goal of evolution, weren't created in the image of a divine immortal deity, and the earth along with all life on it wasn't placed here to be used however we choose. The senses of entitlement, self righteousness, supernatural heritage, pedigree, ownership, superiority, and birth right that many major religions teach has prove very destructive.

It seems obvious to me that anyone with with the above stated feelings beat into them sense childhood would view war as a neccessary tool. Not merely war but extermination. God himself in most major religions will one day exterminate all those who have not followed. God is very intolerant. God word is thee word and hades awaits for those who question. No surprise at all people who believe such God would find a time and reason to kill.

it is simple question.. but answer should come from deep inside the heart.... once you have answer.. you have decided the future of mankind....

It's possible to stand with humans and god.

Yes, but human will take first seat...because we have multiple GOD....each culture, sect has his own GOD, so he will stand with his god and with.. and you will stand with your GOD and him.. looks difficult...

I stand with Kilikin, Midkemia's god of thieves and pranksters. Sounds like a deity who could get you out of the trouble he gets you in.

Ha ha ha.. purpose defined....:) .. so you have a requirement and solution...this is not termed as standing.. but a partnership.. or a contract... it is good that you highlighted here... give and take with GOD....we human....:)

John, how often is it the lack of tolerance rather than the idea, or lack thereof, that brings more deaths?

many time if not always... lack of something is byproduct of idea...

Many people do shoe polish...just have some wishes to get back something in return... and they term it as worship.....once they deep think why they want all this .. for themself of others.. or for whole mankind.... then they themselves come forward to save human.. Agree ?

This powerful question that will change the way mankind think and will lead to stop the bloodshed.
Take a deep breath, with an open mind, think

Unfortunately this condition excludes all truly religious people immediately. They're almost without exception incapable of doing this, with respect to their own beliefs.

It seems that God-believers think that God would work well with society if it was everywhere, because the methodology applied in the bible can be helpful. This is true to some extent, but by no means is this a reflection of God, it's not God's work, it's written word (by human hand); if anything, people with a perception that the bible supports (is evidence of) God, are truly highlighting the aptitude of humans to follow teachings and laws without the need for law enforcement (the work in the bible, beyond God, applied in society).

Just saying, don't confuse the concept of God and the concepts written further in the bible... The highlighted goodness of the bible (i.e. it's technicality, the way it works), is not proving God is true, but rather humans are able to some extent.

How about showing some evidence of gods before arguing over what their effects are?

Huh? Why? I'm not saying what the effects of gods are. I'm asking why getting rid of the concept of God would mean people would all suddenly live in harmony.

Since the existence of god(s) is questionable, and specifics about them are completely subjective, a more humanist approach seems rational. We know people exist, and they are much more predictable and consistent than god(s). I choose to invest my energy in knowing people instead of god(s).

Since the existence of god(s) is questionable, and specifics about them are completely subjective, a more humanist approach seems rational. We know people exist, and they are much more predictable and consistent than god(s). I choose to invest my energy in knowing people instead of god(s).

I think there's some truth in that. When you know "people", you realise they're very predictable. They consistently go for rational human objectives, such as money, sex, and power.

Whereas the motives of gods are less certain. We can't quite figure out what gods are really after. So we try all kinds of irrational means to propitiate them. Like sacrificing a hundred oxen, or taking great care never to kindle fire on weekends.

The whole business seems badly in need of sorting out.

Odd as it may see, I have never decided to kill someone for their beliefs in those matters.

Sadly, it seems that religion brings forth different behaviour.

At least we would eliminate one cause of it.

As far as I know you haven't killed anyone, but neither have most religious people.

Edit:

I'll look for some research relating to intergroup dehumanization.

Edited by MonDie

we are..what we have been taught....isn't the mankind mature enough now to accept fellow human beings..as human being... ....Shouldn't all text book should start teaching the lesson of love for mankind....we are alike .... rather than we are different.....and we will see...that coming generation will be more loving ....No discrimination...No killing .. no hate... All history will be history of mankind.. our history....... rather my or your history.... Think !!!

we are..what we have been taught....isn't the mankind mature enough now to accept fellow human beings..as human being... ....Shouldn't all text book should start teaching the lesson of love for mankind....we are alike .... rather than we are different.....and we will see...that coming generation will be more loving ....No discrimination...No killing .. no hate... All history will be history of mankind.. our history....... rather my or your history.... Think !!!

Religion often fosters the concept of reaching out to help humanity, but it also fosters the concept of "parts of humanity are more special". This concept that some people are above others because of the choices they've made is very detrimental to "the lesson of love for mankind... we are alike" message you want to spread.