did the big bang ever stop?

i know about the expanding universe, and does that relate to the big bang? is the big bang still going on? is the 'expanding universe' just the big bang still continuing?

+ i heard that when the big bang began it exploded faster than the speed of light. And if the big bang is still happening, that means the 'end' of the universe has no light, is that possible?

KholdStunner

I feel bad that you have no replys, so I'm giving you one :)

Go to this link which was about two posts above in case your missing it.

Its a great article. Then come back if you have more questions. This is a great place to learn and it's filled with great people.

C U L8tr

Bettina

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=0009F0CA-C523-1213-852383414B7F0147

HI, I don't have an answer for your question, however I have one of my own if anyone has any ideas. Why can we not use the direction of other galaxies that are moving away from us and the speed they are traveling to triangulate the origin of the Big Bang. I mean all galaxies are most likely to still be moving away from the Big Bang which means if we can identify only a few galaxies to our so called Northe south east and west, and the speed and direction from us and us from them, We should be able to determine which direction all of them are going and triangulate the origin of the Big Bang. Right? We need to clone Einstein.

HI, I don't have an answer for your question, however I have one of my own if anyone has any ideas. Why can we not use the direction of other galaxies that are moving away from us and the speed they are traveling to triangulate the origin of the Big Bang. I mean all galaxies are most likely to still be moving away from the Big Bang which means if we can identify only a few galaxies to our so called Northe south east and west, and the speed and direction from us and us from them, We should be able to determine which direction all of them are going and triangulate the origin of the Big Bang. Right? We need to clone Einstein.

Because on Earth, everything is moving away from us in all directions. But, if you were on Andromeda you would see everything moving away from you in all directions too. No matter where you are in the universe its the same.

Its hard to find the "center" if no matter where you are in the universe, everything is moving away from you in all directions.

Andromeda, BTW is actually moving closer to us because of gravitational pull but thats another story.

Bettina

Please read the first post as this is not to do with the original question.

About the point of origin. Would there be a difference in the rate of expansion further from the point of origin in as far as, the matter at the outer part of the original explosion has had more time to expand and should be less dense and also, the matter closer to the origin would exert a greater slowing force on its closer neighbours.?

i know about the expanding universe, and does that relate to the big bang? is the big bang still going on? is the 'expanding universe' just the big bang still continuing?
It is certainly possible, and I think that the big bang is continuing. However, all of the expanding universe that is directly visible is not still undergoing the big bang.

+ i heard that when the big bang began it exploded faster than the speed of light. And if the big bang is still happening, that means the 'end' of the universe has no light, is that possible?
Where the big bang is continuing, I agree that there is no light. There is also no time. There is only space.

i know about the expanding universe, and does that relate to the big bang?
Yes.
is the big bang still going on? is the 'expanding universe' just the big bang still continuing?

The Big Bang initiated the expansion of space-time in which our Universe resides. It is a matter of semantics as to whether you consider it to be continuing. Most would restrict the term to the initiation event, at which time and space began.

i heard that when the big bang began it exploded faster than the speed of light.
Current theories call for a period of inflation during which space-time expanded faster than light.
And if the big bang is still happening, that means the 'end' of the universe has no light, is that possible?
No, it doesn't. From the standpoint of other very distant galaxies we are at the end of the Universe, but we still have light.
ive read bettina's link and it explained VERY little.
We must have read different links.

It is a matter of semantics as to whether you consider it to be continuing. Most would restrict the term to the initiation event, at which time and space began.
I disagree with your first sentence, and I agree with your second. While most people would restrict the term, I think that it is far more than semantics. There is a universe out there, and it has behavior. If the big bang is continuing, then the implications on notions such as dark energy could be huge.

No, it doesn't. From the standpoint of other very distant galaxies we are at the end of the Universe, but we still have light.
I also disagree with this. We cannot see the big bang, and we cannot see the edge of the universe. As far as we can see, there is light. This is natural, as if there were no light we could not see it. The rest of the universe is too distant for its light to have reached us yet. There is no requirement that the edge of the universe contain light, and since we cannot see it there is no requirement that it does. Furthermore, if the big bang is continuing, then there may well be no light there, as it is still in the process of the big bang.

It's useless to speculate what the ends of the universe might contain as they are well beyond the hubble distance meaning that we will never reach them or even see them. Our universe doesn't have boundaries in the classical meaning of the word but it has effective borders.

It's useless to speculate what the ends of the universe might contain
I consider this to be extremely pessimistic. For one, I think that we can know about the ends of the universe, but more importantly is that people have always speculated about this and to write it off as unknowable is to greatly limit your vision and perspective.

From the standpoint of other very distant galaxies we are at the end of the Universe' date=' but we still have light.

[/quote']

how could you say we are at the end of the universe? how could we possibly know that? if there is no light at the end of the universe then we would have no idea that the universe is continuing because we wouldnt be able to see it or ANYTHING. For all we kno, we could be 100 trillion lightyears away from the end of the universe and the end might not ever have light, therefor we will never kno if the end is really the end, it would just be the end that we see, and sometimes accept.

Please read what I am writing. Those galaxies that appear to us to be at the 'edge' of the Universe would view us, eventually as being at the 'edge' of theirs. The Universe appears pretty much the same wherever you are in it. This is a fundamental axiom of cosmology - BigBang or Steady State.

Did you actually read the link to the SciAm article?

I consider this to be extremely pessimistic. For one, I think that we can know about the ends of the universe, but more importantly is that people have always speculated about this and to write it off as unknowable is to greatly limit your vision and perspective.

I didn't say it was unknowable, I said the knowledge wouldn't have any practical applications. And yes, I am a bit pessimistic most of the time.