Where Did The Other Dollar Go?

Silencer

Sorry if you've heard this before.

Three guys need to get a room for the night. The room costs $30 so they each chip in $10.

After they get upstairs, the desk clerk realizes he made a mistake and the room should have only been $25, so he sends a bell hop up with $5 to give back to them.

The bell hop decides that he's only going to give each guy $1 and keep the other $2 for himself, so that's what he does.

So if each guy pays $10 and gets $1, then it's like they only payed $9. So 9 * 3 = 27. Add the $2 that the bell hop has and you get $29 for the room. Where did the other dollar go?

I'm pretty sure I know it, but I'm not to sure of my explaination (which may mean I don't reall have it?). Plus I'd wait for you guys to respond anyway.

SSo if each guy pays $10 and gets $1, then it's like they only payed $9. So 9 * 3 = 27. Add the $2 that the bell hop has and you get $29 for the room. Where did the other dollar go?
You are using addition instead of subtraction. As you say, they paid $27 for the room. The hotel gets $25 and the bell hop get $2. There is no reason to add $2 above and beyond the $27 that they paid to get $29, a number devoid of meaning.

much like Cadmus said, its the order that matters. What you really should do is subtract that two at the end, and you get $25 for the room, not $29. I've heard this problem many times before btw... maybe you should have put it in the brain teasers section? I'm sure they'd like it