NASA's Unexplained Spectral Line Mystery - Dark Matter Signal?

IM Egdall

Detection of An Unidentified Emission Line in the Stacked X-ray spectrum of Galaxy Clusters"

http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.2301

and "An unidentified line in X-ray spectra of the Andromeda galaxy and Perseus galaxy cluster"

http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.4119

here is the two related papers I've posted them a few times, I haven't seen any other related papers though there probably is some.

Chandra x-ray telescope finds spectral signal "where no such line should exist."

Press release

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2014/perseus/

Video

.As I understand things , the universe we 'see'. , by our current methods , detection consist mainly as regards normal matter , of electrons and nuclei , and the photonic waves/particles that radiate out from the combined ( nuclei and electrons ) are what we see when we look out from the earths vicinity , say by the Chandra telescope , and other telescopes capable of viewing across the entire electro magnetic spectrum .

And that the spectral line is caused by an excitation by energy , of an electron ( many electrons in other atoms ) , to a much higher energy state, followed by a fall back to a much lower energy level. The difference in energy levels, making the energy of the spectral line.

In these cases around 3.5 kilo electron volts .

What state is possible for an electron , or around what nucleus is necessary to attain the levels seen by the Chandra sighting ?

=================================================question ==================

Is it some form of double nucleus ( like in the big binary star systems ). ? Or electrons held in some super abnormal high energy levels ? Is that possible ?

==========================================================================

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

What state is possible for an electron , or around what nucleus is necessary to attain the levels seen by the Chandra sighting ?

The implication is that we don't know of any states/transitions that would account for this. Otherwise it would not be unexplained.

The implication is that we don't know of any states/transitions that would account for this. Otherwise it would not be unexplained.

Yes, But if what is being observed is along the general spectrum, it surely must be based on electron state transition, then .

What are the possible options ?

Electrons have to transit from somewhere , to somewhere .[ in association with a nucleus ] To produce a spectral emission .

This function is a cornerstone of modern physics.

I was wondering ,what were the possible states of the electron and/or the nucleus if these transitions are to equal approx 3.5KeV

mike

Yes, But if what is being observed is along the general spectrum, it surely must be based on electron state transition, then .

What are the possible options ?

Electrons have to transit from somewhere , to somewhere .[ in association with a nucleus ] To produce a spectral emission .

This function is a cornerstone of modern physics.

I was wondering ,what were the possible states of the electron and/or the nucleus if these transitions are to equal approx 3.5KeV

mike

If we knew of a transition of this energy, this wouldn't be a mystery.

If we knew of a transition of this energy, this wouldn't be a mystery.

Yes, but we do not necessarily wish to leave it a mystery. I am not sufficiently close to that subject to speculate. But some people must be, .Maybe you.

Can you not speculate , the type of thing it could be . ( condensed matter, new element, Dark something or other, a new configuration of matter ?

Roger Penrose , the physicist who worked with Stephen Hawkins on Black Holes, may have some ideas.

Mike

Yes, but we do not necessarily wish to leave it a mystery. I am not sufficiently close to that subject to speculate. But some people must be, .Maybe you.

Can you not speculate , the type of thing it could be . ( condensed matter, new element, Dark something or other, a new configuration of matter ?

Roger Penrose , the physicist who worked with Stephen Hawkins on Black Holes, may have some ideas.

Mike

I don't know enough about this to speculate, or what the usual suspects are that comprise the spectra that are typically observed. My take on the wording is that if the reporting is accurate then it's not a match to anything known or already modeled, other than what's mentioned. If it was a match to an idea someone already had, they's be trumpeting the observation.

Or maybe it's a loose fiber, and the signal goes away once that's fixed.

The speculation in the article is "sterile neutrinos" (which, I gather, would be useful for other reasons).

Could you possibly elaborate on ' sterile neutrinos '. And their possible uses ?

Or maybe it's a loose fiber, and the signal goes away once that's fixed.

What is this possible ' loose fiber ' of which you speak .

mike

P.s edit . I suppose you mean a loose joint in a fibre optic cable . Got it . Sorry " . How thick can I be ! "

Could you possibly elaborate on ' sterile neutrinos '. And their possible uses ?

They are a hypothetical type of neutrino which doesn't even interact through the weak force. This makes them tricky to detect. They could be candidates for dark matter, if they have the right mass. They could also (apparently) explain why the other neutrinos have mass (which was not expected). And they could also explain why the known neutrinos are all right handed.

(Please don't ask me any more; I don't understand most of those things!)

Chandra x-ray telescope finds spectral signal "where no such line should exist."

No such line should exist if the source of the x-rays "bumps" have their basis in atomic transitions. As stated, it is just speculation as to what the cause might be. Galactic Black holes, stellar black holes, and neutron stars can be sources of gamma rays and x-rays. Most of this type of radiation is thought to be related to interactions of these entities or their jets, with matter. Such forceful entities as black holes and their jets, when interacting with matter, produce gamma rays for reasons that are still only speculative. My guess is that this OP x-ray radiation energy absorption lines are related to black holes or their jet interactions of some kind. Since these radiation "bumps" are observed within only a small range of energy levels, the source may be only one particular type of interaction the absorbs the x-ray radiation creating the observed absorption edges.

Edited by pantheory

in the case of sterile neutrinos the paper I posted covers this,

sterile neutrinos have a proposed photon interaction of

The decay of sterile neutrino should produce a photon

of E=ms/2 and an active neutrino.

more info on sterile neutrinos can be found in the SO(10) particle physics model, which as far as I know is the only model that accounts for them. It is a predicted particle that is a consequence of the Higg's field and its seesaw mechanism. The Higg's boson has shown an instability in the TeV range which is also part of the seesaw mechanism. This is often referred to as (new physics). There is still a lot of speculations on its validity and further research is ongoing. However there is also some hope that this will provide answers to a few questions such as inflation, the cosmological constant and dark matter. Models have been shown using the seesaw mechanism that can simultaneously (potentially) solve all 3 problems.

oh I should note there is variations of SO(10) the one I'm referring to is the standard model extension not the MSSM extension which has more particles (supersymmetric particles, and more Higg's bosons Higglets)

the SO(10) is an extension to the SM model SO(10)*SU(3)*SU(2)*(U1) in the supersymmetric its SO(10)*SU(5)*SU(3)*SU(2)*U(1)

the first uses just the 126 Gev Higg's and its antiparticle. where the latter has lighter Higg's bosons at higher temperatures (which adds more seesaw mechanisms seesaw 1 and seesaw 2 (seesaw has a mexican hat potential) hope this helps

here is some related papers in this thread

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/83765-higgs-field-thermodynamic-research-cmb-and-now/

Edited by Mordred

Nobody noticed errors in video @ 1 min.. ?

Fe-25?! Should be Fe-26

S-15? Should be S-16...

Sulfur with 16 protons, and 1 electron left, should have approximately 13.6*Z^2=13.6*16^2 = ~3494.1892 eV ionization energy...

That's at least mentioned value in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionization_energies_of_the_elements_%28data_page%29

Edited by Sensei

No such line should exist if the source of the x-rays "bumps" have their basis in atomic transitions. As stated, it is just speculation as to what the cause might be. Galactic Black holes, stellar black holes, and neutron stars can be sources of gamma rays and x-rays. Most of this type of radiation is thought to be related to interactions of these entities or their jets, with matter. Such forceful entities as black holes and their jets, when interacting with matter, produce gamma rays for reasons that are still only speculative. My guess is that this OP x-ray radiation energy absorption lines are related to black holes or their jet interactions of some kind. Since these radiation "bumps" are observed within only a small range of energy levels, the source may be only one particular type of interaction the absorbs the x-ray radiation creating the observed absorption edges.

I asked Esra Bulbul, lead author of the paper, whether the mysterious X-ray spectral line could be from black holes or neutron stars. She said:

“We are sure (the emission line) is not caused by black holes (or neutron stars),” Bulbul said. “These are considered point sources. They look like dots in the image and are removed from the data. Even if some few remain, there is so much bulky gas that the black hole signals would wash out.”

Full article: http://www.decodedscience.com/mysterious-emission-galaxy-clusters-dark-matter/48320

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.