Radioactivity & James Bond

ed84c

Considering that the critical mass of Plutonium is only 2/3 lb, 2lbs can cause you a lot of damage as it goes BOOM!.( In reality the reaction will probably fizzle and not undergo complete fission, but even a fizzled chain reaction would not do you any good at close range.)

Considering that the critical mass of Plutonium is only 2/3 lb, 2lbs can cause you a lot of damage as it goes BOOM!.( In reality the reaction will probably fizzle and not undergo complete fission, but even a fizzled chain reaction would not do you any good at close range.)

Under what conditions, though? The number I've seen quoted is that for the bare metal, the critical mass is about 10 kg. To lower it I imagine you'd have to put it in a solution so it's interspersed with a moderator.

Pu is an alpha emitter, so it's not particularly dangerous from a radiological standpoint. There are some gammas, which up the ante a little bit.

My recollection is that problems emerge if small dust sized particles are breathed in. Trapped in the lungs the decay particles will eventually cause cancer. However my recollection may be based on third rate TV dramas!

My recollection is that problems emerge if small dust sized particles are breathed in. Trapped in the lungs the decay particles will eventually cause cancer. However my recollection may be based on third rate TV dramas!

Pu is chemically nasty, IIRC. If you ingested it you are in more danger from it being a carcinogen, chemically, than from any radiological danger.

Have been watching the world is not enough and i noticed that they handle small amounts (2lb etc) of Plutionium' date=' claiming this small amount will do no damange to you.

Is this true?[/quote']

It was sealed, and sheilded, in both incarnations during the film. The only time where the plutionium was dangerous was in the Sub, when it was transferred from the sphere to the rod.