minecraft server

tylerbrowner

i would like to set up a minecraft server so me and one of my frinds can play on the same world togather but i was wondering if i could take a usb to usb cable and connect my computer to my frinds and start a server like thing i thought it would be faster than useing the internet if its possible can someone explanne to me how to do it

You can also use Wi-fi . Had a four player diablo 2 server running at one point. Also are you sure you can use the internet? Realistically speaking you can only host if your isp allows you to. Alternatively you can be the isp buy your own servers, routers and cables, ip blocks but that's really really expensive. Also you need to buy ipv4 adresses second hand sometimes they are auctioned off. They still sell ipv6 adresses. Ip adresses are not by location they are by whichever isp owns a perticular ip block. I don't think you can buy just 2 adresses. When you connect to the internet most of the time you are assigned an ipv4 address or public ip for accessing the internet. This is rented from the isp you don't own it. So technically speaking you need the isp's permission to host anything. If your isp doesn't allow you to host you can buy a static ip from an isp that provides gaming servers etc. So the ipv4 they own are rented to you. Again you need two ipv4 address but they generally do that for you. If you want you can also rent a tld domain name. Like .org .com .net .biz etc. Some don't charge for instance my country allows ppl to use tld names provided they own a business which is free. But you still need ipv4 addresses. Now since ipv4 adresses are finite not everybody can have an ipv4 address recently in china they ran out. So basically they owned no more ipv4 addresses and could not give a certain fraction of the population internet access. This is also why you can't use your standard ipv4 address and need static ip which was reserved for gaming server.

Edited by fiveworlds

If you're gonna spend money, there are already companies that provide dedicated internet-accessed minecraft servers. You can rent one, and allow access to anyone you wish.

The idea of USB connection in the OP implies "physically nearby", so just set up a small local LAN. Around here most people use a combined modem/router to access the internet, and they often have both WiFi and four Ethernet ports - so plenty of choice for interconnection. That's really the easy bit.

Setting up the software for a minecraft server isn't epic, but it's not trivial either. I was looking at setting one up for my son (and his friends), before his focus moved to other games; so didn't get any actual experience in it.

Edited by pzkpfw

Setting up the lan game is fairly straight forward

install the game. Then host lan game. Which is ethernet/router and have the other ppl on your router search for your game. Please note that depending on your OS results can vary. I know on windows I had to add the other computer to my homegroup otherwise they won't find your game. You should be able to access other computers files on the network. If it shows the computer but you cannot access files it isn't configured correctly. I doubt it will be much trouble.

Edited by fiveworlds

• 4 weeks later...

Setting up the lan game is fairly straight forward

install the game. Then host lan game. Which is ethernet/router and have the other ppl on your router search for your game. Please note that depending on your OS results can vary. I know on windows I had to add the other computer to my homegroup otherwise they won't find your game. You should be able to access other computers files on the network. If it shows the computer but you cannot access files it isn't configured correctly. I doubt it will be much trouble.

This is by far the best and the most reliable solution :)