Guns

blike

Should the private citizen be allowed to keep and own guns?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the private citizen be allowed to keep and own guns?

• Yes!
    • No way!

Originally posted by fafalone

Should automatic crossbows be illegal?

If you're hunting something (or even shooting a discus), and you miss, you don't have time to reload before you lose the target.

yes they should.

and if you miss, then you're not good enough and should train more, not fire an automatic at bambi. Tim Henman isn't allowed to *win* wimbledon by getting an automatic tennis ball launcher firing 500rpm at his opponent.

Originally posted by blike

yep, and these are perfect for protection ;)

or rather it just means that the criminals are more likely to be armed. I like it in the UK where it is highly improbable that any potantial burglar will have a gun, and hence won't be able to kill me.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

Tim Henman isn't allowed to *win* wimbledon by getting an automatic tennis ball launcher firing 500rpm at his opponent.

Tim Henman couldn't win Wimbledon even if he actually had one of those.

So, the American solution to crime is to make each citizen as capable as the next to cause death and injury. Is it the best method of creating a utopian society where everyone is safe so long as they can protect themselves?

The comparisons between crime rates in the US and UK seem to point towards that, however you are 60% more likely to be murdered in the US than the UK. Are you really that bothered to live in a country where it is more common to have your car nicked? Is it preferable to be safe from most crime except murder?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/810522.stm

The threads seem to indicate that the majority US opinion is:-

Guns are good

War is good

Drugs are good

Where does that leave civilisation in the Americas? The only two topics left are abortion and the death penalty.

I only mention that in passing, as I'd quite like to own a pair colt 1911's. They look very cool :D .

Originally posted by the GardenGnome

Has anyone seen Bowling for Columbine with Micheal Moore?

This movie skewed things so much it wasn't even funny. He cut and sliced film so much the whole thing became a farce.

Guns and war are not good, but at times they are neccessary. Americans, unlike alot of the rest of the world, are capable of seeing when bad things are needed before it's too late.

Drugs can be good, or they can be bad. It depends entirely on the user. The same could be said for ALOT of things that aren't illegal.

Originally posted by blike

This movie skewed things so much it wasn't even funny. He cut and sliced film so much the whole thing became a farce.

Yes, hence a great piece of film-making.

I liked the montage sequences personally :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, my vote. I'm sure that will protect me against the elective dictatorship.

After all, we all know how responsive and sensitive governments are to minority concerns.

Or are you being just a tad naive?

• 8 months later...
Matzi said in post # :

Just a question for you two (or everyone else who votes yes): Why do you want to have your own weapons?

to ballance the odds, the idiots around here think nothing of using weapons as opposed to queens rules boxing, and so, keeping weapons that both my wife and I own and train with, is a good way to damn sure these little idiots around here don`t get away with a thing!

I do however think that gun permits should be subject to a psych test 1`st, I had to take one, and that was only to use the firing range!

YT2095 said in post # :

I do however think that gun permits should be subject to a psych test 1`st, I had to take one, and that was only to use the firing range!

i agree, and would say the same thing for cars...

the problem is't that guns are legal or illegal. the problem is that there are too many stupid people out there. you'd think that eventually the darwin awards would get rid of them, but they just keep sprouting back up. if we could erase all data and momory of guns, that'd be best, but for the time being, we can only hope that the idiot next door doesn't own a gun... or us intelligent people could all learn to be darn good sharpshooters and snipers.

or perhaps we could actually TEACH people about guns instead of saying, "umm, guns are byad, m'kay?" (just like drugs... and swearwords... and prostitution... and breaking driving laws... and nuclear weapons... and war... and natural disasters... and............:zzz:)

Ya, a handgun has no other purpose but to take another mans life just as a double-edged knife. I would not want to own one anyway.

If you’re being robed and you own no weapon then what going to happen? They are going to rob you and be on their way.

If your being robed and suddenly you have a gun in your hand what’s going to happen? The criminal is going to panic and try to murder you first.

If you’re being robed with a guy with a knife are you going to shoot him? I would not be surprised if you would be charged for murder.

Now I’m sure the gun owner is a smart guy but in a split second is he going to think out the results of his actions?

Where are you going to store your gun? Locked in your closet with the latest safety features? I don’t see how that’s going to help you in the event of an intruder anyway. Do you think your going to see the guy coming from 3 miles down the road and have time to prepare?

I personally think owning a gun would do more harm than good to a wife and kids.

Protect your self against the government with a pistol? Your joking right? The US amendment has been obsolete for a long while.

The answer to a utopian society is nether too give everybody a gun nor to take them away just as the answer is neither nether war nor taking war away. Without wars where would we really be? Do you think we would be at peace? That’s like saying we should get rid of the military. Do you think that would somehow protect us more? If might work if EVERYBODY got rid of it, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Seriously thought, here are some problems:

#1) The second amendment only gives the right to bear arms to the Malitia.

#2)It's doesn't matter anyway because if guns were outlawed the only bad people would have them!

#3)But that would also make it so if someone was going to rob you and guns were outlawed then they would not be so panicy and kill you

#4)I had a hard time deciding. But my Grandma has a permit, and carries a hand gun with her sometimes! I have to side with family.

Im very happy living in a country where guns are outlawed and hope it remains so. I remember sitting in a class when the teacher came and had to explain to us what had just happened at Dunblane, listening in disbelief. That was enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

If you own a handgun, make sure it doesn't get stolen.

It doesn't matter if guns are outlawed or not, people that need guns will still be able to get them.

By the way, thinking you can defend yourself and your family easily with a gun is kind of ignorant. When you get into a shootout nothing goes the way you expect it to. I wouldn't own a hand gun for safety, I'd own one cause it's fun to fire at targets. If you think about it, having a gun in your home doesn't make you much safer at all. People can still sneak into your home and kill you before you can get to your gun.

It's a very weird issue but outlawing firearms altogether isn't the answer.