Should edits be more limited?

Editing a post after a reply can, sometimes, be somewhat dishonest, especially when the edit makes the reply appear overzealous.

I do appreciate that editing can be necessary but in cases such as this, where the original was "I bet nobody here can work it out. I DID" (paraphrased).

Should it be allowed? Maybe it’s problematic, technically, but surely it’s reversible.

It can be a matter of concern in some instances. In the linked case the character of the member HoneyRazwell is on display for all to see and be saddened by. I'm not convinced that the complications that would arise from modifying the edit process would be worth the trouble.

I generally quote the relevant portion of the post I am responding to - especially when I suspect it might be subsequently edited. However, in the instance you've used an example your reply follows the post directly so a quote would have been irrelevant.

I only use edit to fix grammatical errors that make a response difficult to read. Once a post has been responded to I won't edit it at all.

The problem is caused by those members who lack your integrity.

I agree with both the above. I am a terrible serial editor; first to remove howlers, then to double check, next to reword clunky phrases, and so on... But I will only edit spelling after a reply and even then I will probably leave a note. Changing content once replied to is a no-no

edit - x-posted with Ophiolite. Please read as "I agree with top two posts..."

Edited by imatfaal
meta-edit

Would you like to further edit your post to note that you not only agree with me too, but that you worship the ground I walk on? :)

Would you like to further edit your post to note that you not only agree with me too, but that you worship the ground I walk on? :)

Who doesn’t?

Just an idea but maybe a button on the toolbar could be included that wouldn’t allow a change to the original body of text but would allow an addition to explain things, such as cross-posting.

Edit/ after a reply.

Edited by dimreepr

No; but I will happily edit yours to confirm that you owe all your success to me. There is no point in power if you don't abuse it >:D

I have made posts I regret. Commented before properly thinking things out. It is a reminder to be better in the future. Edits should not be made to correct poorly thought out posts or adjust a position when in a debate or following a challenge. I think more times than not attempts to change context and content fails anyway. It is better to let it go. Mistakes happen. I could live without the edit feature at all but I think many of the members in here might get tired of all my typos.

Edits have a time limit, though I have never timed it. Within an hour maybe?

More frustrating to me is that if one makes the second post just recommended and that it is within a short period of time, the second post is appended to one's last post and so it is effectively editing the last post. This is most troublesome when there is a flurry of exchanges. :angry:

I'm OK with the editing time period as long as I know about it, but I don't care for that appending business.

I usually edit to save posts. I don't want to over post and I mostly tell if I did or not. I might forget to sometimes(Acme is angry at me, I can tell. :ph34r: ).

I have it on good authority that Acme loves you like a brother. ;)

Edit: This is not an edit.

Edited by Acme

I agree with both the above. I am a terrible serial editor; first to remove howlers, then to double check, next to reword clunky phrases, and so on... But I will only edit spelling after a reply and even then I will probably leave a note. Changing content once replied to is a no-no

Well, crap. Talk about a need to be able to edit. I was getting ready to reply to this post, and somehow clicked the negative rep button without intending to. So, if one of you nice people out there would like to cancel out my goof, please do so.

Anyway, back on topic. When I first started posting to forums I ran across this person who was the worst when it came to editing his own posts. If you ever showed that something he posted was incorrect he would go back after the fact and remove it from his post. At the time the forum software did not show when a post was edited, so I assume that he was trying to erase the evidence that he was shown to be wrong. You always had to quote his post when replying as evidence to what he originally claimed. It really was pathetic.

Well, crap. Talk about a need to be able to edit. I was getting ready to reply to this post, and somehow clicked the negative rep button without intending to. So, if one of you nice people out there would like to cancel out my goof, please do so.

:-(

Anyway, back on topic. When I first started posting to forums I ran across this person who was the worst when it came to editing his own posts. If you ever showed that something he posted was incorrect he would go back after the fact and remove it from his post. At the time the forum software did not show when a post was edited, so I assume that he was trying to erase the evidence that he was shown to be wrong. You always had to quote his post when replying as evidence to what he originally claimed. It really was pathetic.

That was the original usage of QFT. It is now used to quote with praise - but the original use was when quoting to stop someone backtracking on their original post

Edits have a time limit, though I have never timed it.

For you mere mortals, that is.

My deepest genuflection in your general direction as I have in the past been compelled to beg to prevail on such demigods and demigoddesses as yourself to exercise your great and splendiferous powers to the benefit of this humble mere mortal servant in seeking to correct egregious errors. May you and yours live long and prosper with the force. Can I get a yo Josiah up in here? :)

• 1 year later...

Can someone clarify what the time limit is for editing? I've managed to put a 'not' in the wrong place, inverting the meaning but was absent for a time and didn't notice - but found the edit option expired when I went to change it. I'm sure most people will realise from context but I would have liked to fix it.

My own habit is to put an edit postcript saying what if any substantial changes were made, and for minor ones too unless the edit was immediate or within a very short time.

Can someone clarify what the time limit is for editing? I've managed to put a 'not' in the wrong place, inverting the meaning but was absent for a time and didn't notice - but found the edit option expired when I went to change it. I'm sure most people will realise from context but I would have liked to fix it.

My own habit is to put an edit postcript saying what if any substantial changes were made, and for minor ones too unless the edit was immediate or within a very short time.

You can report the post and a moderator can edit it. Or send one of us a pm. As long as we're not getting bombarded with requests I'm sure we won't mind.