View New Messages

Is this Inbox tool download item that I am getting legitimate? First I see "View New Messages". When I click that, it says I am missing a tool and should click to download. There is no explanation of where this comes from and why I should download it. Oh, there is a name at the top which I've fast forgotten but it isn't "Science Forums". Can someone please explain? I don't buy blind. I don't download blind. Cagey I am. :) Thanks.

SFN should never ask you to download or install software. I don't know what you're seeing.

If you could take a screenshot or give a link to the page in question, that'd be helpful.

I am sorry. I have no idea about screen shots. I can add this, though, which I forgot. The first note said I had messages. When I clicked that, I got the download bit. When I clicked on it, I got a small window that said "address blocked". That's when I backed out. If it will help, I can open that page again and tell you what is at the top. Will that help?

That said, your opening statement tells me to leave it alone. That's good enough for me. It was there the first day I registered here and for a day or two afterward. Then it stopped and had not re-appeared until today.

All right. I just got it again. Here is what I saw.

On this page, at the top is an envelope and a bar that says View New Messages

click that and get a page with this URL: http://www.inboxviewergo.com/big.html?gclid=COetx-e8n78CFYRcMgodGA8Ajg

At the top, its says "Inbox Viewer". Then this: "You're missing a tool to view private messages. Please follow these steps.

Download the Setup file below

Click "Run" and "Allow"

Fast and Safe Installation will now begin.

Does that help?

Hi Hazel

Are you accessing Science Forums dot Net directly? ie is the address for this post:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/83965-view-new-messages/

in your address bar of the browser?

If you are accessing directly you are going to have to provide more details as your problem is not ringing any bells

I did access Science Forums.net that time. I do it that way when I have no message from SF but want to come here. So, yes, I clicked http://www.scienceforums.net and then searched for this particular section.

My apologies if I am not always very helpful. I am not very computer-savvy. Computers are smarter than I.

Are you seeing "View New Messages" in the space where the advertisement (for nanotechnology products) is here?

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 12.28.19 PM.png

That's a screenshot of the top of this thread. If you're seeing it there, it's an advertisement -- a scammy one.

The link you provided certainly is not part of SFN. It's a third party trying to trick you. Don't download or install the software, whatever it is.

Hazel

You definitely do not need a special tool to get private messages on this site. I will send you one is a second or two and you can see how easy that is. If you do not we may have to ask some of the more compu-savvy members what is going on.

Up at the top of the screen on the right hand side of the black banner you should see a grey envelope with a red 1 against it. It is right at the very top of the screen. That should be my test message.

Are you seeing "View New Messages" in the space where the advertisement (for nanotechnology products) is here?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-06-29 at 12.28.19 PM.png

That's a screenshot of the top of this thread. If you're seeing it there, it's an advertisement -- a scammy one.

The link you provided certainly is not part of SFN. It's a third party trying to trick you. Don't download or install the software, whatever it is.

That's it. Thanks. I'll ignore it hereafter. Thanks much.

Hazel

You definitely do not need a special tool to get private messages on this site. I will send you one is a second or two and you can see how easy that is. If you do not we may have to ask some of the more compu-savvy members what is going on.

Up at the top of the screen on the right hand side of the black banner you should see a grey envelope with a red 1 against it. It is right at the very top of the screen. That should be my test message.

I am not seeing it but that's my fault. When I clicked the notification email, it took me straight to the message. So, that will be gone by now. But I'll know what to look for hereafter.

Hazel

Whoa! Back up. I went back to the top. It isn't what you described but is probably what you meant. What I have now is a gray envelope with a large blue bar next to it saying View New Messages. There is not red number after it. There is some wording. "Inbox" is in red. then, there are three letters in black but I cannot read them.

OK. The difference between what I just described and what I've been getting is that, always before, the envelope was while with a red dot atop it. No number, just a plain red dot.

Hazel

this is what I see when I get a new message on SF.net

post-32514-0-22537100-1404062153_thumb.jpg

That's the top right corner of my browser window. I wonder if you are seeing a message where I have an advert for Istanbul - if you are seeing something there it is merely an advert you can ignore.

Hazel

attachicon.gifmessages.jpg

That's the top right corner of my browser window. I wonder if you are seeing a message where I have an advert for Istanbul - if you are seeing something there it is merely an advert you can ignore.

Hazel

attachicon.gifmessages.jpg

No, nothing up there except my name and "Sign out". However, where I was getting that bar with the envelope there is a different bar now. A green bar saying "Download". Something is definitely going on. I shan't touch it.

I've seen that one a few times. Since I am familiar with where the personal messages are accessed, when I saw the announcement that I had new ones, I went directly to the appropriate SFN button. Of course, I discovered zero messages and realised the announcement was some form of ad. It is, however, annoying. Some members, with arguable justification, will blame SFN for having been misled and may leave as a consequence. (Small, but finite risk.)

I've seen that one a few times. Since I am familiar with where the personal messages are accessed, when I saw the announcement that I had new ones, I went directly to the appropriate SFN button. Of course, I discovered zero messages and realised the announcement was some form of ad. It is, however, annoying. Some members, with arguable justification, will blame SFN for having been misled and may leave as a consequence. (Small, but finite risk.)

Now that relieves my mind - knowing someone else has seen that. I did finally realize that, if SF works like any other forum, I'll get an email announcement anyway if someone sends a private message.

Where is the appropriate SFN button for private messages?

d0Iev6L.png

If you are able to, I recommend installing an adblocker.

That's it exactly. Thanks. Where do they come from? Dumb question?

I'll talk to the person who takes care of my computer. He can do that.

We have advertisements provided by Google. (That's how we fund the operation of SFN.) Usually they filter out the obvious scams, but it looks like this one slipped through.

You'll get emails from us if you have a new message, and imatfaal's post (#9) shows the real indicator that means you have a PM.

We have advertisements provided by Google. (That's how we fund the operation of SFN.) Usually they filter out the obvious scams, but it looks like this one slipped through.

You'll get emails from us if you have a new message, and imatfaal's post (#9) shows the real indicator that means you have a PM.

Thank you. And thank you all who helped me run it down as fake. I am glad I asked. I get really rattled with such things - well, with computers, period.

I still have that "Download Now" bar up there. I'm ignoring it. Maybe it will die a natural death eventually.

Have a good, not too hot, day.

Given that you've said this:

I get really rattled with such things - well, with computers, period.

I'd like to second Endy's recommendation here:

If you are able to, I recommend installing an adblocker.

That will offer you a little more protection from similar scams (not total, but it should help). Just choose the proper download for your browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, Opera, etc.)

https://adblockplus.org/en/

Thanks. Once I choose the proper download, does it do everything else without asking me where to put "this" and what to do with "that"? Is it for the entire computer, not just one web page?

Full of questions, aren't I?