Centenary World War 1

fiveworlds

Franz Ferdinand (18 December 1863 – 28 June 1914) was an Archduke of Austria-Este, Austro-Hungarian and Royal Prince of Hungary and of Bohemia, and from 1889 until his death, heir presumptive to the Austro-Hungarian throne.[1]

His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia. This caused the Central Powers (including Germany and Austria-Hungary) and the Allies of World War I (countries allied with Serbia or Serbia's allies) to declare war on each other, starting World War I.[2][3][4]

Statue of WW I assassin unveiled in Sarajevo [June 27,2014]

Modern-day opinion on [the assassin] Gavrilo Princip mixed: :unsure:

fran%C3%A7ois-ferdinand-620x400.jpg

(CNN) - One hundred years after firing the shot that set off World War I, Gavrilo Princip was toasted by some Saturday in Sarajevo -- whether they wore T-shirts emblazoned with his face or admired a statue recently unveiled in his honor.

Today, opinions on Princip are mixed. Some in Bosnia-Herzegovina -- of which Sarajevo is the capital -- think he was a terrorist, reported CNN affiliate N1 in Yugoslavia. But there are also a number of Bosnian Serbs who view him as a hero.

...clearly!

===

…and the "new borders” of the old Ottoman Empire (divided up after WWI), from the Middle East to Eastern Europe and through North Africa (Libya, Egypt, Serbia to the Ukraine, and Syria, Iraq, and Iran), were contrived by Western Europeans as a result; especially the Middle East. A century later, how is that working out?

4790.gif

...but Crimea is not included!

...and we wonder why....

~

Edited by Essay