A Big Thank You

ydoaPs

I'd just like to take a moment to thank the conservatives on SFN. I grew up in Indiana and my friends got married today. They were the first couple to have a same-sex marriage in my home county.

Thanks, conservatives. If it weren't for your ban, we would have had to wait longer for marriage equality. I wholeheartedly encourage the conservative members in states without marriage equality or same-sex marriage bans to call their state legislature and ask for a ban so all 50 states can have marriage equality.

I shall say Congratulations to your friends but in the Eastern Asia and countries like Malaysia, same-sex marriage is offended. I personally disagree with same-sex marriage. Sorry if this hurts you but this is my own point of view.

But in these countries young girls are forced into marriages "often with older men", And in Malaysia young "under aged girls" are forced or "allowed" to marry by Sharia courts, In Western countries this is offensive,

Same sex marriages are by consenting adults, Sorry if this hurts you, But this is my point of view.

I shall say Congratulations to your friends but in the Eastern Asia and countries like Malaysia, same-sex marriage is offended. I personally disagree with same-sex marriage. Sorry if this hurts you but this is my own point of view.

He or anyone else posting the above already know what view more than half of the people have.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the idea behind rights is that they can't be denied just because of opinions some people hold, even if it's a majority. In the US we have a right to equal treatment under the law. As ydoaPs has observed, the wheels move faster when right are denied because there is a judicial path, rather than waiting for legislatures to make a possibly unpopular fix the existing laws.

It doesn’t make sense to be offended by something that has no impact on your life or situation, also that offence in turn offends others.

Tolerance doesn’t mean you have to like something but it does save an awful lot of unnecessary pain, hurt and offence.

• 1 year later...

I'd just like to take a moment to thank the conservatives on SFN. I grew up in Indiana and my friends got married today. They were the first couple to have a same-sex marriage in my home county.

Thanks, conservatives. If it weren't for your ban, we would have had to wait longer for marriage equality. I wholeheartedly encourage the conservative members in states without marriage equality or same-sex marriage bans to call their state legislature and ask for a ban so all 50 states can have marriage equality.

Again, thanks. This was much faster than an amendment.

Nicholas Kang;

Please consider my following thoughts.

I think that I understand your feelings. When I was young and very heterosexual, it did not seem right to me that people of the same gender were attracted to each other. I could not get my mind past the idea of sex.

Now that I am older, I realize that same-sex marriage is not about sex; it is about family. It may well be that sex is part of the initial attraction, but marriage is about commitment. It is about sharing your laughter and tears, your failures and successes, and those of your partner. It is about finding the person who has the strengths that you lack, and has a need for your strengths; a person who is the other part of you and can make you feel whole. Marriage is about building a life together and being family.

Too many times, I have read stories about life partners who have shared 30 or 40 years together and then been denied the right to go to their partner's funeral by their partner's "family". Or been denied the right to visit their partner in the hospital, because they were not "family". No one should be denied the right to family, and the life partner that we choose is our family, so no law should deny us this right simply because of who we are. There are cases where criminals have more rights to their family than same gender partners -- this is wrong.

So I think that if you look at the situation this way, you may find that it is not so offensive.

Gee

In this day of gender reassignment surgeries, how can the court argue otherwise? If a same sex couple endures such a trial, is the union less or more offensive to traditional sensibilities?

Loyalty trumps anatomy in my book, and judging by my own marriage experience, sex has little to do with it in the final analysis.

Since it's hard to argue that anyone has a right to dictate what happens between consenting adults behind closed bedroom doors (a traditional conservative stance), the argument against SSM usually boils down to that it taints the sanctity of marriage. But that makes marriage sound more like a club, where it's not as valuable if just anyone can get in/do it. Is your marriage about OTHER people getting married, but just the right people? Can you feel the importance of your marriage decreasing every time it happens for same-sex partners?

If there's anything "sacred" about marriage, it should be the solemn vows you swear to your partner. And judging from the instances of adultery and divorce, I think it's the part half the people forget. Unless you're married to someone of the same sex, and then your instances of divorce are lower.

Thanks, conservatives! Work a little harder on keeping those vows, and please let us know about any new bans you have in mind.

*sigh* Thank you for making a sweeping generalization about a particular group. It certainly helps. ^_^

*sigh* Thank you for making a sweeping generalization about a particular group. It certainly helps. ^_^

I don't want to go completely off-topic here, but it would help if people didn't identify themselves with such a brooooaaaad particular group. It's hard not to get paint on you when the brush is that wide. You should expect some splatter.

I wish people would stop using Conservative/Liberal as personal labels. How we feel about issues should be much more nuanced than such general categories will allow.

Btw, why isn't it the Conservative stance to treat people equally under the law, as the Constitution states? Why isn't it the Conservative stance to stay out of people's personal lives, and respect their right to privacy?

I don't want to go completely off-topic here, but it would help if people didn't identify themselves with such a brooooaaaad particular group. It's hard not to get paint on you when the brush is that wide. You should expect some splatter.

I wish people would stop using Conservative/Liberal as personal labels. How we feel about issues should be much more nuanced than such general categories will allow.

Btw, why isn't it the Conservative stance to treat people equally under the law, as the Constitution states? Why isn't it the Conservative stance to stay out of people's personal lives, and respect their right to privacy?

As my statement pointed out, there is a group of conservatives who believe that ssm should be legally allowed and some who believe it shouldn't be. I am the former(though my concerns deal with more of the implications than anything that the ruling has on federal over state rulings and what it means for institutions provision of service).

Labels help people to determine who to blame in circumstances. Although unrelated, the GamerGate movement was something that was to be identified as a diverse group of beliefs that had one similar idea. However, they got swept under one generalization.

Again, it is a sweeping generalization to say that all conservatives are one thing when there are splits in groups.

Perhaps the desire to attribute blame is part of the problem we have faced for so long. I've said this recently before in another context, but we would all be better off if we focused more on being decent and kind to each other than on being right or reinforcing labels carrying downstream us/them effects.

Perhaps the desire to attribute blame is part of the problem we have faced for so long. I've said this recently before in another context, but we would all be better off if we focused more on being decent and kind to each other than on being right or reinforcing labels carrying downstream us/them effects.

Wisdom from a wise man.

:-( Woo... Sorry, I don`t mean to hurt all of you. Gees, thanks for your explanation. My mom did explain to me a few days ago when the judgement was made by the US Supreme Court. I regret not to edit my post (I posted it last year, long before the Judgement). I cannot predict future, thereby unable to know the Court`s Judgement. Sorry. really sorry.

I beg your pardon, please, I am not intended to hurt all of you. Please forgive me, really. I am too young to understand this. I regret to post in the wrong section in this forum. I should think twice before posting. Please don`t -1. I beg your pardon. Please.

I promise you this wouldn`t happen again, really. You see, I am just a 16-year-old and eager to express my own idea, but definitely not going against anyone`s point of view. Can you adults please forgive me, a little child still in the process of learning.

Thanks you.

Really sorry. (I give you all +1, I appreciate your points, except a few due to computer errors. I don`t know why I cannot give both Phi for All and sunshaker +1. I give you my word I will give both of you +1 later. Trust me)

Sorry. Learning from all of you, mentors.

All posters mentee,

Nicholas Kang

Edited by Nicholas Kang

:-( Woo... Sorry, I don`t mean to hurt all of you. Gees, thanks for your explanation. My mom did explain to me a few days ago when the judgement was made by the US Supreme Court. I regret not to edit my post (I posted it last year, long before the Judgement). I cannot predict future, thereby unable to know the Court`s Judgement. Sorry. really sorry.

I beg your pardon, please, I am not intended to hurt all of you. Please forgive me, really. I am too young to understand this. I regret to post in the wrong section in this forum. I should think twice before posting. Please don`t -1. I beg your pardon. Please.

I promise you this wouldn`t happen again, really. You see, I am just a 16-year-old and eager to express my own idea, but definitely not going against anyone`s point of view. Can you adults please forgive me, a little child still in the process of learning.

Thanks you.

Really sorry. (I give you all +1, I appreciate your points, except a few due to computer errors. I don`t know why I cannot give both Phi for All and sunshaker +1. I give you my word I will give both of you +1 later. Trust me)

Sorry. Learning from all of you, mentors.

All posters mentee,

Nicholas Kang

Don't worry about it. It's ok to disagree, and possibly get minused for it. This is the beauty of freedom of speech. You are a young person and conforming with the laws and customs of your country... how can you know or do any different at your age? As you get older and more experienced, you will learn to think for yourself more and decide for yourself if the laws of your land are all just and equitable.

I beg your pardon, please, I am not intended to hurt all of you.

I don't think anyone was hurt. It was a brief statement, and it was clearly an opinion. To be honest, it didn't tell me whether you're anti-same-sex marriage, or if you personally wouldn't marry the same sex. There's a big difference. Tolerance is allowing views and lifestyles other than yours, even though you don't agree.

To paraphrase EB Hall, I may not agree with your choice of who to love, but I'll defend to the death your right to make that choice.

I guess the real test is how you would treat a same-sex married couple you met on the street. Do you think they deserve to be treated the same as your parents?

Well, you learn something new everyday...

I always attributed that paraphrase to Voltaire, but after your post Phi, I looked it up and it is actually attributed to EB Hall, Voltaire's biographer, as a reflection of Voltaire's beliefs. I guess I've been crediting the wrong person all these years.

Thanks for the enlightenment, Phi.