Impure HCl

Hexogen

I was thinking about making some KCl using KOH and HCl (funny how I can get these 2 substances but i can't really find some KCl...) but the acid i found has a yellow color.The concentration is...32%...or 34%,i forgot,but...if i react 91% KOH with that impure acid would the KCl be pure enough to be used in further reactions to obtain another substances with it?

There are two problems here-

the safety issue which can be addressed by carefully diluting the reactants.

The fact that we don't know what the impurities are or what the product is to be used for.

Having said that, a common impurity in HCl is iron. It's easy enough to remove it in this case by adding a slight excess of KOH which will precipitate the iron as the hydroxide which can be filtered off.

Also, the commonest impurity in the KOH is probably water which won't matter much.

You can purify the product quite well by recrystallisation so it is probably possible to use this process to get KCl that's pure enough for most things.

However, just buying the stuff will be easier.

Note that many of the "salt substitutes" on sale are a mixture of NaCl and KCl so you will need to separate those.

Why not just buy KCl at the store, they sell it as an alternative to NaCl, called "Lite Salt"; not to mention it would be far more pure than reacting KOH and HCl.

-and less dangerous as John C. said.

Because where i live they don't think about selling it as food just to be used for a reaction.It is mixed with NaCl and other things.Useless.I couldn't find acceptable KCl...

I was thinking about making some KCl using KOH and HCl (funny how I can get these 2 substances but i can't really find some KCl...) but the acid i found has a yellow color.The concentration is...32%...or 34%,i forgot,but...if i react 91% KOH with that impure acid would the KCl be pure enough to be used in further reactions to obtain another substances with it?

You should first learn how to calculate in moles, how to convert to grams, how to calculate concentration etc. etc.

If you have 32% concentration of HCl in 1 L, how many grams do you have of HCl?

You should first learn how to calculate in moles, how to convert to grams, how to calculate concentration etc. etc.

Probably about 15% more than you expect.

320 grams?

320 grams?

Nope, about 15% more than that.

The density of 32% HCl is about 1.15 and the concentration of the acid is calculated by weight.

So, you have about 1.15 kg of liquid containing about 368 grams of HCl.

(Which makes Sensei's comment about "You should first learn how to calculate in moles, how to convert to grams, how to calculate concentration etc. etc." a little ironic.)

Which makes Sensei's comment about "You should first learn how to calculate in moles, how to convert to grams, how to calculate concentration etc. etc." a little ironic.)

Ironic? Not at all. It was not mine intention.

I simply suspected he doesn't know how to calculate it after seeing question:

"if i react 91% KOH with that impure acid would the KCl be pure enough to be used in further reactions to obtain another substances with it?"