How can I get started in biology and/or physics?

Alphonso

I'm 13, and I'm very interested in biology and physics. I really don't know much about them, just the common knowledge of what they're about. Now that I've gotten to my question(It's the title.).....1.......2.....3........GO!

I'm 13, and I'm very interested in biology and physics. I really don't know much about them, just the common knowledge of what they're about. Now that I've gotten to my question(It's the title.).....1.......2.....3........GO!

You just did get started. By having the courage to openly state your desire.

Now ,have a good look about at say ( animals, plants , the environment, humans ) observe a little , and think is there anything that particularly interests me in what I see. ..that could become your interest in Biology.

Do the same with ( stars, sun, clouds, things generally , radio, television , computers, machines, cars, water, fire, the sea , electricity, particles etc ) , observe a lot, and think . Is there anything that catches your mind.! That could become your interest in physics.

Then go get a book( s) on those two subjects. Then find someone else ,who is interested in the same thing that you find fascinating , and have a good conversation or two with them . The ball has started rolling.

post-33514-0-75425700-1402989918_thumb.jpg

Mike

Ps . when I was exactly your age, I noticed radio waves , somehow moved across air/ space , invisibly . It fascinated me then and still does. I made my life , a search in electronics/ electrical/Radio. I am still fascinated with these subjects, still searching !

When I joined a famous electronic company at 19 years old , I was shown around the labs as a new apprentice. In a dingy underground laboratory ,researching some device, in low tones my guide pointed out a man pacing back and forward through the lab , he had a grey beard. I asked my guide , " who is that man ? And what is he doing " The reply was , " Oh! He is a thinker " ...... I reflected ,and mused ' I want to become that man ' .....

......... ...... I have done quite some interesting things amongst the electrical/ electronic industries throughout my life , some big, some small.........( mostly small) ...

.... Today , I have a grey beard , and am 70 years old , I think a lot , I became that man . ( for what it is worth ) ? ( not rich , but satisfied )

Find your ...thing .... The thing you find really really interesting , say within your. Biology or Physics ..

And follow your .....thing

Ask yourself the question " What really is this thing , and how does it work " " Ask anybody and everybody ? "

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

What options do you have for studying science at school? As ajb says whatever you are doing, study hard. Make sure you are good at maths, even if it requires a lot of extra work.

Also, ask questions on this forum. There are many knowledgeable indivduals who will be happy to help you.

Thank you for the replies, everyone. If I was to buy science books, which ones should I buy? Ophiolite, in high school I can take extracurricular classes in physics and biology. I'm currently going to the 8th grade. Mike, I'm mainly interested in humans and animals in biology. In physics, pretty much everything.

Thank you for the replies, everyone. If I was to buy science books, which ones should I buy? ...

I suggest buying high school textbooks. Find them in high school book stores or from students who no longer need them. Used books are usually less expensive.

Thank you for the replies, everyone. If I was to buy science books, which ones should I buy? Ophiolite, in high school I can take extracurricular classes in physics and biology. I'm currently going to the 8th grade. Mike, I'm mainly interested in humans and animals in biology. In physics, pretty much everything.

I have tried to think what I was like at your age.

I have picked two books which go right across science in small chunks .One just 2 pages per subject, the other a chapter per scientist.

Both across Physics, Biology with just a little chemistry. Very easy to read , both books. Can be read easily one subject/ scientist as a single module, in short time.

1. little Book of Big Ideas SCIENCE by Dr Peter Moore isbn 0-7136-7494-6 cost £9.99 2 pages per subject

2. The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments. By George Johnson ISBN 978-0-099-46458-7 1 Chapter per Scientist. £8.99

post-33514-0-17977200-1403036367_thumb.jpg

Mike [ ok. have a good time with the books ]

Thanks, Mike. I'll buy the ones you suggested.

While you are waiting for your books . Here is an experiment in physics you can do while you are waiting.

Arcameadies said you can lift weight to the amount of water displaced by the boat.

I used to do this with my physics class that I used to teach physics to.

If I remember a paper boat (a4 folded and sellotaped) , could support about 400 grams.

Here is the design . Have a go. If you do not build it very well it will sink. Try 500 grams , 600 grams will definitely sink .

Picture :-post-33514-0-51004400-1403041614_thumb.jpg

Let me know how you get on .

If it works build a 10 foot version ! In marine plywood . By my reckoning it should be quite stable !

Mike