Dreams

Ten oz

I remember a dream a night. When I'm lucky 2-3 dreams in a night. I find them fascinating. I do not believe dreams are anything other than manifestations of the subconscious but they are fun all the same. I would be interested in reading dreams other posters have had, theories about what dreams are mean, or why we have them.

The Dream I had last night:

When the dream began I was in an enclosed office on the 3rd down from street level beneath a hotel. The office door opened to a hallway but was closed. in the dream I understood that there were people in the hallway looking for me. I laid on the floor and peered under the door. I was able to see a pair of female dress shoes moving infront of the door. I quickly stood, opened the door, and pulled a women in to the room, (She was no one I know in real life. Just some creation of mind). I put my finger up to my mouth indicating to her we needed to be quiet. We exited the room together and I led her down the hall to a stairwell.

We ran up he stairwell until it opened up to the street. At this point the women left running across a large park across from the Hotel. I stayed behind with the intention of leading our unseen pursuers up into the hotel. So I continued up the stairs passing a maid with a large cleaning cart of the second floor. Another floor up it accorded to me that I will need to double back at some point to escape. I looked back down the stairwell looking for my pursuer but could only see that maid I had past. As I watch the maid she pulled a container of flammable liquid off her cart and began dumping it all over the stairwell. Then she lit the stairwell on fire. So I exited the stairwell on to the nearest floor which happened to be a mezzanine full of elevator equipment.........end of dream.

One of my more memorable dreams was an museum built by apparent Aliens(not present).

I was with a group of researchers and mercenaries, trekking along this narrow winding island path. The museum itself was an open hive-like structure with "displays" inside of honeycombs covered with green crystal. Some of the displays included original roman fort blueprints, a large prehistoric leg bone and *translated* whale song.

Still reflect fondly on that one. Right mix of mystery and marvels.

One of my more memorable dreams was an museum built by apparent Aliens(not present).

I was with a group of researchers and mercenaries, trekking along this narrow winding island path. The museum itself was an open hive-like structure with "displays" inside of honeycombs covered with green crystal. Some of the displays included original roman fort blueprints, a large prehistoric leg bone and *translated* whale song.

Still reflect fondly on that one. Right mix of mystery and marvels.

Too bad you don't recall any of that translation. That would be fun.

Did you read the translation? I can't read more than a word or two (basic signs) in my dreams. Having difficulty reading things is actually a trigger that often alerts me to the fact that I am dreaming.

The translation was written as a long stream of emotions: *Happy* *Joy* *Sad* *Glad*. The whale song itself though was pure sound that began playing as you approached.

That was part of the strangeness, nothing was organized in a human fashion.

I think that was the part I woke up at though. I remember being more disturbed by the fact that the translation was written in English than anything else. Makes you think about how recently they must have returned and why they decided to write in an 'alien' language.

I've had many strange dreams but that one in particular stuck with me. :)

edit:

I only tend to realize I'm dreaming when I want to get out of a dream. Very disturbing asleep to awake effect with no intermission. Most of my dreams offer some kind of interest though, so doesn't happen too often. In retrospect I am realizing I have a lot of oddball structure dreams. Not sure what to make of that...

Edited by Endy0816

My wife used to have night terrors where she would wake up quickly screaming and terrified. The first time this happened I jumped out of bed screaming ready for a fight thinking that someone had broken in. She just went back to sleep and could not recall this in the morning. She does not remember it today.

I have a bit of an unusual story about dreams in terms of nightmares. The last nightmare I ever recall having, when I was roughly 6 or 7. In that nightmare I recall running away from a brown bear then having my head bitten off, when I woke up. The nightmare in and of itself wasn't particularly unusual. The unusual part is that I am now close to 50 years old and its the only nightmare I can recall even to this day. I've often wondered why that is the case, I can recall numerous other dreams etc but I can honestly say I do not recall any nightmares since that last time. Its quite possible I may have had some and never known, after all I've heard the claims that we have roughly 200 dreams a night. However as stated I do not recall any

My wife used to have night terrors where she would wake up quickly screaming and terrified. The first time this happened I jumped out of bed screaming ready for a fight thinking that someone had broken in. She just went back to sleep and could not recall this in the morning. She does not remember it today.

Night terrors are definitely worse for the person sharing the bed.

I've often wondered why that is the case, I can recall numerous other dreams etc but I can honestly say I do not recall any nightmares since that last time. Its quite possible I may have had some and never known, after all I've heard the claims that we have roughly 200 dreams a night. However as stated I do not recall any

You are lucky. I wonder what the frequency and variation is for people having nightmares.

As for my own dreams, i sometimes have complete dreams with a coherent beginning middle and end. I once had such a complete dream in which I fell asleep to have another complete dream then woke up to continue the original dream (which ended with a plane crash-landing).
Another cool dream was being a fragment of a planet that had blown up, travelling the stars then seeing the earth and thinking i'll pay a visit.

I have had a few nightmares where I am hiding from a Dalek and he finds me. I see the plunger or the gun and then the Dr Who music starts and I wake up. I have to wait till next week to find out if I got out of that one...

I have had a few nightmares where I am hiding from a Dalek and he finds me. I see the plunger or the gun and then the Dr Who music starts and I wake up. I have to wait till next week to find out if I got out of that one...

roflmao

Nightmares don't tend to be too traumatic for me. Frightening things happen in my dreams but I normally become aware that I am dreaming and wake myself up. I have found that even though I can't call out to my wife or move do to sleep paralysis I am still able to control my breathing. So when I want out of a dream I just start breathing heavily and it wakes me up.

The few times I have not been able to wake myself during nightmares and they played out it wasn't too bad. Most nightmares I have had end rather anticlimactically. The monster, ghost, unseen force, shark, etc gets to me but ultimately can't kill me and the attack just ends.

• 7 months later...

I had a rather disturbing dream last night. I was part of a group of various professionals meeting with the Director of the CIA. There was about 20 of us and we all met up in the lobby of a large building. The CIA Director was the center of attention. We all followed him up to the 81st floor. Once there we entered a board room. An older gentleman was already seated at the head of the table. Once we all took our seats it was obvious that the man at the head of the table was who we were all there to see, not the CIA Director. The Man at the head of the table announce to us that it was time to know the truth and then a large wooden cabinet against the wall slowly opened. A metal circular disk pitched vertically decorated with spirals of gold and opal slide forward and began to glow. From it a voice began to tell us about the future. When wars would begin, countries would collaspe, and etc. The vioce was not spiritual. Gods and demons do not come to mind. However it was extremely insidious and hypnotizing one by one everyone in the room fell asleep including myself. When we awoke the disc was back in the woodened cabinet (presumably) and we all left without talking. Their was a heavy feeling of dread.

In the dream my wife and I were staying in the building while on a trip of some sort. So when I left the room I went down to the 63rd floor where we (my wife and I) had a suite. When I walk into the suite my wife was in the bedroom asleep a one of the men from the event upstairs was sitting alone infront of a wall sized window in the dark. The only light in the room came via the skyline out the window. He told me that he couldn't live with what we had learned. He pulled out a gun and held to to his head. Unable to shoot himself he pulled the gun away from his head and began firing into the ceiling. Then he dropped the gun and throw himself out the window leaving a man sized whole in the glass. I immediately woke up my wife and told her what had happened and that we must call the police. She advised against calling the police and told me to go to bed. I argued but she insisted that we do nothing. So I went to the bathroom to wash my face and think in private. Once in the bathroom it accord to me that I might be dreaming. I desperately wanted it to be a dream and began thinking of a way to wake myself up........then I woke up. End of dream!

• 1 year later...

I have plenty of crazy dreams and have had a lot with very fanciful "plots" (a drink that opens windows through time, infiltrating a Victorian manor being used as a base for creating genetically engineered creatures, a few set in worlds made of LEGOs, etc) but I never have "spooky" nightmares. The closest I ever get to nightmares are the typical anxiety dreams, like today being the final for a class that I didn't even know I had, kind of thing.

Even the dreams that thematically seem like they should be nightmares tend to just be interesting rather than frightening.

Lots of dreams last night. Most straight forward one:

I am in a small ranch style home out on in a rural farming community. In the dream I understand it to be Reno Neveda but it looks more like Montana. Heavy winds are blowing so I go outside to close a couple fence gates I worry may be open. It is sunset so one side of the house is already dark. I go there first and close a wooden gate. Then around to the otherside and close a metal mesh gate. The metal mesh gate is damaged and doesn't closeproperly. While fumbling about with it a boy (14-17yrs old) walks over and tries to tell me something but I can't hear him through the wind. He then walks off.

Across a oddly large dirt road (like 4 dirt lanes) in front of the home I see a few people and lights out in a field. I cross the road into the field to see what is going on. Turns out to be nothing. Just some nieghbors bringing some farm equipment in out of the weather. So I turn to head back to my home. A farming aqueduct had quickly filled between the field I was in and my home. It looked about 2 feet deep and 6 feet across. The water was flowing and I was concerned about being swept way if I tried to just walk across. So I began trying to put rocks and dirt in it to see if I could slow it enough to quickly cross......end dream.