Ethinicity and Hair/Eye color

Guest Harlequin

Guest Harlequin

Out of curiosity, what ethnicity (or mixed ethnicity) would produce a person with white skin, black hair and green eyes?

As far as I can tell, naturally black hair seems a rarity amoung western caucasians, for some reason or another. Green eyes are also far less common than, say, blue or brown.

To get the ball rolling, I'm guesing Northern European is largely out of the question (fair hair and skin)...

Any suggestions?

Demi Moore..doesn't she have all those characteristics? except i don't know if her hair is dyed or if she is wearing contacts. I would think someone mediterranean mixed with something could produce that being. However, to produce someone like that would be hard because of linked traits. For example, you don't see black hair blue-eyed people because those traits are not normally linked together on chromosomes.

• 1 month later...

This is almost an impossible question to answer because we're taking something as fuzzy as ethnicity and using it to predict something as discrete and specific as eye color and hair color.

This is further complicated with the fact that ethnicity is also a product of culture, so we're taking about a social-cultural concept and using it to predict something biological like eye color. "Ethnicity is the cultural characteristics that connect a particular group or groups of people to each other. 'Ethnicity' is sometimes used as a euphemism for "race", or as a synonym for minority group. While ethnicity and race are related concepts, the concept of ethnicity is rooted in the idea of societal groups, marked especially by shared nationality, tribal afilliation, religious faith, shared language, or cultural and traditional origins and backgrounds, whereas race is rooted in the idea of biological classification of homo sapiens to subspecies according to morphological features such as skin color or facial characteristics."

Below is a list of ethnic groups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups

I don't think I've actually ever seen eyes I would call green. I know a girl with striking teal ones, but no green. Is it an actual green-green, or more of a hazel-like hue?

And that is a very difficult question mostly because we still don't know what gene combinations make each color show up in the phenotype. We know eye and hair and skin color are close to one another on the chromosome, so often correlate, but it's not that simple.

I don't think I've actually ever seen eyes I would call green. I know a girl with striking teal ones' date=' but no green. Is it an actual green-green, or more of a hazel-like hue?

[/quote']

There is no such thing as 'true green' eyes. My educated guess would be that there are two types of green eyes: ones that are originally blue with yellow fat deposits on them that blend to make green (they are most vivid), and hazel eyes that happen to pick up greenish hues easily from the environment.

• 14 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To produce a black haired person you could look for a Portuguese person for instance, i for example am a dark brown haired individual with green or part green eyes.

But this isnt a usual phenotype in Portugal but there are phenotypes like this in various countries.