Heat energy production by quicklime and water

baothinh

Dears,

All of us know that chemical reaction between calcium oxide (quicklime) with water will produce heat energy strongly by the following equation:

Cao + H2O = Ca(OH)2 -> releases heat energy

I have improved the reaction above to maximize the heat energy production with the following steps:

1. I use a plastic jar whose volume is around 65.53 cm3. I put into the jar 3 full spoons of quicklime. (The volume of the spoon is around 7.85 cm3)
  2. Boil water
  3. Fill in the remaining volume of the jar with boiled water
  4. Then drop some floor cleaner liquid into the jar and shut it tightly

Result: After step 3, the mixture begins to bubble up and overflow severely. This results from the combination of 2 heat resources, one from the chemical reaction, and the other from the boiled water itself

Now we go to step 4. Here the additive to be used can be floor cleaner liquid as mentioned above, or dishwashing liquid, body wash etc..in general it is any foaming substance. By this, the seething mixture will be expanding more severely, and overflow the jar. Since the jar is shut tightly, the mixture itself and its heat are accumulated there, and results in the melting or breaking of the jar.

While step 3 upgrades the heat energy released by the chemical reaction to a very high level, step 4 itself is the turning point to force this energy breaking out most severely

Above is my way to create heat energy. The experts can consider it as a new method for energy solution. Just by a small jar with volume 65.35 cm3, I can create such significant amount of energy. If we use a larger amount, for example 1 kg of lime, the released amount of energy will be more terrible, in comparison with 1 kg of coal, or 1 m3 of petroleum, natural gas.

Forum members can talk more to me about this topic both here and through my email address, which can be found in my profile, or provided by admin user. Another way is calling me in Vietnam by phone number personal information removed

Edited by hypervalent_iodine
personal info removed

If we use a larger amount, for example 1 kg of lime, the released amount of energy will be more terrible, in comparison with 1 kg of coal, or 1 m3 of petroleum, natural gas.

Do you know how CaO has been created?

By heating Ca(OH)2 at >500 C, it breaks up to CaO + H2O. Or CaCO3 -> CaO + CO2 >900 C.

You're just reversing this operation.

If you're thinking about using it as replacement fuel for petroleum and natural gas, it's not gonna happen.

You have to first spend energy to create CaO.

Unlike petroleum, which was created millions years ago from vegetables and animals.

Dears,

I would like to answer your questions as below:

1. In my country, quicklime is very cheap, just about less than half of 1 dollaer for 1 kg

2. Petroleum can be found in sotme countries, but not all. Many countries must import it for using. While quicklime can be found in mountain, I think every country can have this

3. Better or worse, petroleum resouces in the world will be empties in next few decades. And we have to look for a new source, no other choice. Why don't we think of my experment as an applicable solution?

1. In my country, quicklime is very cheap, just about less than half of 1 dollaer for 1 kg

We have it for $0.1493 per kg ($149.3 per tonne). (The first link from google)

2. Petroleum can be found in sotme countries, but not all. Many countries must import it for using. While quicklime can be found in mountain, I think every country can have this

But in mountains there is CaCO3.

You need to heat it (in furnace), spending money on coal/oil to heat it.

Each "processed" 1 kg of CaCO3 will produce 439 grams of CO2 to environment..

3. Better or worse, petroleum resouces in the world will be empties in next few decades. And we have to look for a new source, no other choice. Why don't we think of my experment as an applicable solution?

After releasing energy by CaO + H2O

you would need to convert that energy to electricity.

Typical method is heating water to level it's changed to vapor, which is then used to move turbines.

Try making such device, and you will have electricity for free.

Vietnam has large amount of rainfall?

I read on the net about between 50% to 400% higher rainfall in Vietnam than here in a year.

If I were you, I would concentrate on this source of power.

Edited by Sensei

baothinh

I think the problem here is that there are three different things that all get called "lime".

Calcium oxide- quicklime

Calcium hydroxide - slaked lime and

Calcium carbonate- limestone.

Only the third of those is present in mountains.

Think about it- how long would a quicklime mountain last in the rain?

• 4 years later...

I think this is a great idea. Quicklime can be made from seashells. it can be a byproduct when culturing oysters, so it can actually be considered as renewable. With the concern of petroleum being more readily available than quicklime, we should note that petroleum is dug out hundreds of meters underground and petroleum is, in actually, mined raw and requires processing to produce useable petroleum. 

I think the challge for any new alternative energy discovery is not in wether it is more readily available than petroleum but rather, if it can be refined or used effectively and safely to produce mechanical energy. 

What I think you need is someone who can design a system that would make use of the processes you described to convert the raw energy to a useable form of energy.