Dream interpretation

M-CaTZ

I am currently taking a psychology class and we are discussing dream interpretation. I wanted to inquire about the meaning of colors in particular and what they mean as they occur in dreams. Do certain colors have specific meanings as to the psychological state of the persons mind or are they just abstract and just exist for no apparent reason. If you have any info or can find me a good article to read about this please post back. Thanks

Rad, i agree with you but i need to know for this project plus it seems kind of intresting to see what people come up as theorys to interpretation. Despite the fact that in my opinion it pertains little relevance.

I don't think there is much meaning to your dreams, unless its blatantly obvious. I always have dreams where I unknowingly miss a test, and lose my A. This of course stems from my fear of losing As in courses. Thats an example of a blatantly obvious meaning.

Usually my dreams are just things I've experienced or thought about in the day, strung together in an incoherent and illogical fashion. I don't think they reveal much, though some may disagree.

I agree with Radical Edward and Blike. Trying to place meaning on colours in dreams is frankly superstitious nonsense. Come to think of it, I've been trying to figure out if I do actually dream in colour but I'm not even sure. Everyone has those mad dreams where they aren't properly dressed etc. and it doesn't take a genius to work out that you're just anxious in waking life. I had very weird dreams when I tried to stop smoking which must have been the effects of the nicotine wearing off.

Haha, no need to be so defensive. No one accused you of "believing in it". We were responding to what you asked: " Do certain colors have specific meanings as to the psychological state of the persons mind or are they just abstract and just exist for no apparent reason. "

Colours are probably largely reliant on the content of the dream. So if you are in a good dream it will be light and airy, bad dream, all dark and foreboding. Our subconscious response to colour is more along the lines of red/orange/yellow means hot (or whatever), rather than dreaming of cerulean blue means trouble with your uncle. It's an vague relationship rather than a association between a colour and a specific concept.

Actually I'm making this all up, I've never taken a psych class in my life. I'm arguing against it because my girlfriend had a dreamt last night I left her, so I'm doing what I can to dispell the myth. Who said there wasn't bias in science?

You have to realise that it's only a dream, but without waking yourself up. It's quite fun. I think it's called lucid dreaming, but I'm not entirely sure about that. It's good because you can sleep and also do crazy stuff like go through floors and things ;)

We don't see colors in our dreams, it's all an illusion lol, ask Dr Bill.

Also, dream interperitation in general is B.S. for the fallowing reasons:

A. Dreams are nothing but random collections of memories, events and figures connected together with no logical thinking.

B. We dream thousands upon thousands of times a night, and only remember several to none dreams right after awakening...which usually are the last dreams to be dreamt.

C. There could be many different definitions per dream, Ex. If I dream of a killer dioll that i finally destroy it could be interperated as fear of death, childhood paranoia of bad doll experience, recollection of Chukie the movie, my ability to overcome my fears, etc.

So you see, the dream thing in phsycology...B.S.:bs: :bs: :bs:

I was able to control my dreams fairly often as a kid. I'd usually fly because it was fun. It's interesting when there is an interplay between the conscious and subconscious states. I would realise it was a dream, conscious think of floating up then my subconscious would create wings for me.

I haven't been able control my dreams for a while though:-(

• 2 months later...

dear lord...I hope dreams have no significant meaning O_O

some of the dreams I've had and told to other people have given them nightmares themselves;)

I used to be able to control my dreams...kinda...it was fun, but not anymore