(Sub)Urban Farming

ydoaPs

...(Interesting history of them at that link though. Thnx. :) )

Yeah I learnt something too about the history. Obvious, in retrospect, really when you think about it why they were called 'Brussels' innit? Just a happy accident as well.

Edited by StringJunky

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of history, I had an exciting discovery in the garden today. (You Brits may get a kick out of this. ) So last Fall the grandkids came home with a cutting from a ~180 year old apple tree that is still growing in my village. In spite of the late season I dipped it in some rooting hormone and stuck it in a pot to show them how cuttings are reared. I didn't have much hope for it but lo and behold it's alive!! The apples are small, green, & bitter and suitable for pie & cider. :)

16957874855_a309a60c05_z.jpg

"'Old Apple Tree', Vancouver, Washington"

Vancouver, Washington's "Old Apple Tree" ("Mallus spp.") was one of five seeds planted in late 1826 and then eventually placed outside of the gates of the first Fort Vancouver. The seeds for the tree were brought over from England by Emilius Simpson. The "Columbian.com" website, covering local history of Vancouver, tells the story:

"... It all started at a party in London ... A lady at a farewell dinner party for Lieut. Emilius Simpson, the cousin of Hudson's Bay governor Sir George Simpson, playfully put the seeds of her desert apple into his waistcoat pocket. She asked him to plant them when he arrived at his destination on the other side of the world. Emilius Simpson arrived in Vancouver in November of 1826 and was soon invited to dine with Dr. McLoughlin in the stockade on the present Deaf School site. During the evening he absentmindedly stuck a finger into his waistcoat and discovered the seeds. Dr. McLoughlin, Simpson and Pierre C. Pambrun planted the apple seeds in small boxes which were put under glass. Dr. McLoughlin kept the boxes in the store where they could not be touched. The apple tree was planted outside the fort when he felt it could survive. Around 1830, Washington's first apple harvest occurred. It was here in Vancouver, and produced one apple. ..." ["Columbian.com" website, 2007, "Local History, Old Apple Tree"]

• 2 months later...