Oxygen and Grass

Hello everyone, I come here after a maddening stint of Googling, trying to find my awnser--with no luck. So I hope you will all forgive me for my strange (and most likely stupid question).

Some backstory:

I am writing a satirical novel, and one major element of the fictional United States-sized contintent it takes place in, is that a lot of the landmass is covered in tall grass, and I mean tall--twice as tall than most buildings, wider than most humans, and just as thick as a lawn. You could say roughly 30% of the landmass is covered with the stuff (so imagine 30% of the United States being covered with it--but scatered throughout).

So my question is, would this have any affect on the envirement, or the people(s) living there? Some of the tall grass boarders some towns/cities, would this have any affect on the population?

Any and all information is much apreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Edited by Jhunter85

There is physical limit how tall can be grass. That depends on internal structure of vegetable (or animal) and environment they live in. During evolution organism tries to adopt and overcome limit (if it's a way to survive). Growing quickly tall means receiving more light from the Sun *)

There was time in Paleozoic when air had a lot of oxygen (~double current value), and organisms that were absorbing oxygen whole skin area were much much bigger than now. After decrease of oxygen percentage, invertebrate can't grow too big.

*) in mine neighborhood last year there was cut two trees (they had 20+ meters and 50+ years old) There was leaved roots in the ground. A week later from roots grow up couple new trees and reached nearly 2 meters. In just a week.

There is physical limit how tall can be grass. That depends on internal structure of vegetable (or animal) and environment they live in. During evolution organism tries to adopt and overcome limit (if it's a way to survive). Growing quickly tall means receiving more light from the Sun *)

There was time in Paleozoic when air had a lot of oxygen (~double current value), and organisms that were absorbing oxygen whole skin area were much much bigger than now. After decrease of oxygen percentage, invertebrate can't grow too big.

*) in mine neighborhood last year there was cut two trees (they had 20+ meters and 50+ years old) There was leaved roots in the ground. A week later from roots grow up couple new trees and reached nearly 2 meters. In just a week.

So you are saying my humans and wildlife should be bigger than normal?

Could your types share properties with bamboo?

Excellent point. That bamboo is a grass and can reach heights of 100 feet is plenty of a springboard to add in wide at the base.

I wouldn't think so. Part of the story is the setting and you can get plot elements from what normal size people have to and/or can do to with such large and dense plants. Also, pampas grass grows tall and in dense wide clumps. (Height 10 - 12 feet)

So what came to my mind first in Grassland was.....FIRE! There's a hot plot device. :P

Edited by Acme

It's just literally grass on a typical household lawn--but massive. Like twice as tall as a McDonalds. It's a satircal novel, so there won't be any science behind it; it's there because I needed it for a plot point. I just wanted to make sure all this extra oxygen wouldn't have an averse effect on the envirement.

So what came to my mind first in Grassland was.....FIRE! There's a hot plot device. :P

You actually just gave me a potentional idea with this statement. >:D

Edited by Jhunter85

No.

That depends on whether it would help to survive.

In hot environment & food shortage environment it's favorable to be small.

In cold environment & food shortage environment it's favorable to have a lot of fat and fur.

etc. etc.

Adaptation depends on environment.

Edited by Sensei