Romans 2:25

EdEarl

For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

What law when broken will cause foreskin to regrow?

Iirc, circumcision is the beginning of a process used to prepare worshippers to please the Hebrew god. It's done in infancy, but as an adult you'll be expected to keep all the laws (600+). If you break the laws, it would be as if you'd never been circumcised, throwing away all those years of righteousness.

But it does sound like some regeneration is predicted, even though we know God hates amputees.

I think we need someone who is both completely conversant with Hebrew and Syriac idiom and written Ancient Greek. I think there is a pretty easy and non-regenerative interpretation. The state of being circumcised is both healthy and an affirmation of your faith and lineage - but if your acts show that you have no faith as you break the law them you might as well not be circumcised.

I think we need someone who is both completely conversant with Hebrew and Syriac idiom and written Ancient Greek. I think there is a pretty easy and non-regenerative interpretation.

I normally look to mooeypoo for all things Hebrew, though she may be a little light on circumcision experience. I don't know if she reads Ancient Greek.

I'm sure in this case that the reference is to the ceremony, not the surgery. It's supposed to be the start of a covenant with God that keeps being reinforced throughout the life of the worshipper. I think being un-circumcised is like making something like it never was. It may be a cultural thing, like saying, "Your DEAD to me!", erasing all past history. If you don't keep the laws, your whole spiritual life since you were eight days old, your connection to your people, will be un-done.

It's the mixture of language and idiom that has provided employment for those in exegesis for hundreds of years. Mooey rocks on the OT - but the NT is rife with multiculturalism; you have a Roman Citizen, from Turkey (well it is Turkey now), converted to a Aramaic sect, and writes in Koina Greek. And we are reading in deliberately flowery English from the time of the Court of King James

"you're dead to me" perfect analogy. I was searching for one and wasn't happy with any I thought of.