Cerebrospinal Fluid Versus Blood

Nicholas Kang

You don`t have to waste time memorizing the word Cerebrospinal fluid ...

Do you realise that doctors would still need to memorise the words "cerebral" and "spinal" and "fluid"

Would you trust a doctor who couldn't work out what cerebrospinal fluid was?

But, you expect them to remember two very similar words ("blood 1" and " blood 2" or whatever) and recall which is which.

All this for no real reason (not to mention the cost of reprinting all the medical text books)?

Why bother?

What is wrong with the current system?

Nothing wrong with the current system. I am now asking why not our brain fluid evolved from our ancestors is CSF but not blood. I mean why evolution had chosen CSF but not blood? Since blood has a lot of similarities with CSF. Only minor differences so we assume the differences can be overcome by altering the gene and DNA to fulfill the exact characteristics of CSF in brain which the so-called "proposed blood in brain" will then become blood after flowing out towards the heart, thus we don`t need CSF and we only need blood.

Nothing wrong with the current system. I am now asking why not our brain fluid evolved from our ancestors is CSF but not blood. I mean why evolution had chosen CSF but not blood? Since blood has a lot of similarities with CSF. Only minor differences so we assume the differences can be overcome by altering the gene and DNA to fulfill the exact characteristics of CSF in brain which the so-called "proposed blood in brain" will then become blood after flowing out towards the heart, thus we don`t need CSF and we only need blood.

Because if the fluid surrounding the brain actively flowed through the rest of the body, the danger of infection reaching the brain through the blood would increase dramatically. That's why the blood-brain barrier exists. You don't want your cerebrospinal fluid (or equivalent) flowing through your heart.

Ok, even if CSF don`t flow through your heart, why CSF cannot be blood?

So you're asking why we have cerebrospinal fluid instead of blood that is stripped of all the biological impurities that would muck up the works in the brain and that just sits around the brain without mixing with the rest of the circulatory system?

Dear John Cuthber,

Why is it that it works better that way?

And, once again...

Because it lets you have a better protected brain and permits the brain tog work in an environment specifically designed for it's needs rather than the general requirements of the rest of the body.

Ok no problem. So, we (actually I) have understood why, So now it is how. I mean how the brain undergoes evolution to contain CSF but not "brain blood"? And who tells the brain to undergo evolution to contain CSF instead of "brain blood"? Did brain knew that it contained and evolved to contain CSF but not "brain blood"? Does brain have consiousness?

Ok no problem. So, we (actually I) have understood why, So now it is how. I mean how the brain undergoes evolution to contain CSF but not "brain blood"? And who tells the brain to undergo evolution to contain CSF instead of "brain blood"? Did brain knew that it contained and evolved to contain CSF but not "brain blood"? Does brain have consiousness?

Because our circulatory system isn't a part of our ventricular system, so the system and their products evolved to do what they do. Nothing 'tells' evolution to do anything. Some things happen, some of those things stick around, others don't. Asking a why question in evolution isn't productive because the only answer is, 'because that's how it happened'.