The great Seas and Rivers of the Supercontinents.

You can't generalize deposition rate by period any more than by height of a cliff or thickness of a cored deposit, so no there are no tables. For any particular deposit you need to refer to a detailed geological study. Depending on the location and type of sediment, many things can influence the rate of deposition; weather, climate, volcanic eruptions, flooding, or water acidity to name just a few.I haven't looked for a geologic study of your cliffs and the aquifer study cited by pavelcherepan does not look at any specifics of the layers as to age, makeup, thickness or other specifics.

I have been out looking at our local Permian cliff . It's something to do with the giant rivers ( river bed settlement perhaps ) of the supercontinent . The rounded pebbles we find at the pebble beds of Budleigh Salterton ( 200 million years ago ) are different types of pebbles there , very rounded. These at Lympstone just further west ( few miles) I noticed are ' sharp edged' thus although they appear to be laid down ( as seen on the line of stones the dog is standing on ) . They are all sharp edged.

Does this mean , laid down in a flash flood? Also they, alternate with layers with no stones , just sand . Does that mean a dry period with desert style sand blowing ? Or under the sea ( too and fro ) ?

post-33514-0-13025500-1438731106_thumb.jpgpost-33514-0-14721400-1438731391_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

I have been out looking at our local Permian cliff . It's something to do with the giant rivers ( river bed settlement perhaps ) of the supercontinent . The rounded pebbles we find at the pebble beds of Budleigh Salterton ( 200 million years ago ) are different types of pebbles there , very rounded. These at Lympstone just further west ( few miles) I noticed are ' sharp edged' thus although they appear to be laid down ( as seen on the line of stones the dog is standing on ) . They are all sharp edged.

Does this mean , laid down in a flash flood? Also they, alternate with layers with no stones , just sand . Does that mean a dry period with desert style sand blowing ? Or under the sea ( too and fro ) ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mike

Daring little doggy! Do not go dog, do not go. :lol:

Could have been flooding as they do appear to have some rounding on the edges. Might also be a landslide. The sand could be blown in or beach sand. I think a detailed analysis is required to properly qualify the whole assemblage. You might check with the local university as such a study may be extant. :)

Note: Layers of sediment do not always represent a continuous sequence because there may be intermediate periods of erosion.

Edited by Acme

• 3 months later...

Daring little doggy! Do not go dog, do not go. :lol:Could have been flooding as they do appear to have some rounding on the edges. Might also be a landslide. The sand could be blown in or beach sand. I think a detailed analysis is required to properly qualify the whole assemblage. You might check with the local university as such a study may be extant. :-)Note: Layers of sediment do not always represent a continuous sequence because there may be intermediate periods of erosion.

I think , my recent research into the source of Devonian sandstone has turned up side evidence to a particular set of " seas and rivers of supercontinents. "

Euramerica appeared to have one or two giant rivers draining itself , very much towards ( if not over the top of ) what was then the ground that went on to become Southern England and Ireland .

post-33514-0-42470800-1448920368_thumb.jpg

And later laurussia

post-33514-0-57778700-1448920436_thumb.jpg

I have attempted to pencil ' England ' in

post-33514-0-49094400-1448920518_thumb.jpg

What were these rivers on the supercontinents like ? Am I right in assuming that they flowed ( hook -line- and Sinker ) right over our infant country , depositing countless humongous volumes of mixed eroded granular particles as they flowed out to sea across an alluvial plane?

As illustrated in both the geology map and small commenting map following ?

post-33514-0-47297000-1448921188_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-31758800-1448921235_thumb.jpg

Was the ' Anglo Welsh basin ' shown on map , in fact the base or alluvial fan of one of the draining rivers ? ( of the supercontinent euramerica/ laurussia ? ) and the marine area one of the ancient oceans ?

Did the early Mountains, ' Appalachians ' and early ' Caledonians ' act to contain the flow from the supercontinent , toward where the U.K was then positioned ?

Mike

• 1 month later...

A recent television documentary showed Arabia ( with all its deserts ) once existing at the bottom of the Ancient Tethys Ocean. And as such , how the plant and sea life dying would sink to the bottom of the 'Tethys Ocean' and become the great oil reserves of present day Arabia.

Link to Tethys Ocean :- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo-Tethys_Ocean

In a similar way, but to a lesser degree , was not Wales and Southern England subject to great sand deposits as part of 'Giant River' , erosion wash off, during the time periods discussed above , Devonian , Permian etc while the supercontinents did their movements about the Globe of Earth?

At that time , coming up from the southern tropics and crossing the 'Then '. Equatorial position ?

(See red dot , at that time )

Snap shot of Devonian Time 400,000,000 Years ago

post-33514-0-78143200-1453707337_thumb.jpg

Tethys Ocean

post-33514-0-62618700-1453708302.jpg

Mike

.Geological time charts for oceans in different periods ,

say Devonian, Permian, Jurrasic , Triassic . See link below

Click on the desired period on left hand side .

Note . 'Arabia ' mostly under water ( Tethys Ocean ) through many periods .( as discussed in previous post . #54 ) see period late Permian . Also . ( follow Arabia through periods Carboniferous to Cretaceous)

Link :- http://www.scotese.com/earth.htm

post-33514-0-65053400-1453842490_thumb.jpg

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Just gone down to the Jurasic coast this morning . Lyme Regis . Here the base of an ancient river , sea, has today exposed its life , . Rocks tumble off the cliff.

I picked one up off the beach . It had a crack on its side . I put a tiny stone in the crack and .. Bingo a fossil.

post-33514-0-01267200-1455543035_thumb.jpg

Last saw the light of day 100,000,000 or so years ago

post-33514-0-96545800-1455569271_thumb.jpg

The fossil hunters out today

post-33514-0-44529200-1455569375_thumb.jpg

The Jurassic Coast

post-33514-0-15873700-1455570708_thumb.jpg

At home , studying up the evidence .

Ammonites :- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonoidea

Mike

A recent television documentary showed Arabia ( with all its deserts ) once existing at the bottom of the Ancient Tethys Ocean. And as such , how the plant and sea life dying would sink to the bottom of the 'Tethys Ocean' and become the great oil reserves of present day Arabia.

It may be surprising but there's still a lot of discussion going about the origin of oil deposits, but most scientists agree that it was most likely plankton and microscopic algae that are responsible for oil formation. So no, your assumption is most likely incorrect. Even if complex organisms could have a part in oil we have now, there would be an immeasurably small amount of those compared to simple microscopic organisms.

Just gone down to the Jurasic coast this morning . Lyme Regis . Here the base of an ancient river , sea, has today exposed its life , . Rocks tumble off the cliff.

I picked one up off the beach . It had a crack on its side . I put a tiny stone in the crack and .. Bingo a fossil.

Nice find! That's a pretty small ammonite though. Either a young specimen or the rock is from lower Jurassic age when most ammonites were much smaller than later species.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to re find Arabia in the Tethys sea

It may be surprising but there's still a lot of discussion going about the origin of oil deposits, but most scientists agree that it was most likely plankton and microscopic algae that are responsible for oil formation. So no, your assumption is most likely incorrect. Even if complex organisms could have a part in oil we have now, there would be an immeasurably small amount of those compared to simple microscopic organisms.

s.

I think if one pulls up the late Permian map from the following index of the movement of the supercontinent so , you can see Arabia just on the warm great shallow sea edge ( Tethys Sea ) here is where the trillions of sea creatures were deposited on the bottom of the warm shallow sea . To become the great oil deposits of the region around Arabia .

http://www.scotese.com/earth.htm

post-33514-0-78925100-1497221495_thumb.jpeg

Mike