Any idea on how to throw away chlorine gas …

Power User

Hello everybody

I need some help.

The problem is production some chlorine gas as unwanted result of reaction during manufacturing main product. We can’t let it go to the air. So I search for any method to discard it in a safe way and reasonable price.I am not familiar with this. I think maybe we can pass it throughout something like limestone or gypsum (or any other material, I don’t know) and by this way turn it to safe material.

So I ask for any way to do this.

Is there any reason you can't capture it and sell it? It has commercial value so there's no need to throw it away if you don't have to.

Yes, there is good reason. Actually, I know chlorine can be sold. I don’t know much about chemistry, but I know that on what situation we can investigate on it and at this point it is not a good decision because:

1. Capturing it need new investigation in all aspects and this means need to spent money and even selling captured chlorine could not give that money back.
  2. In this zone we don’t known as basic material supplier. So we have no comparative advantage on this.
  3. After all, there are two important factors indicates whether we should do it or not: one amount of produced chlorine and two continuity of chlorine production. In this case amount of production is remarkable while continuity of it is not.

It may be possible to destroy it as it is made.

What is the process you are using?

I don't know what the exact process is but I know that is related to producing some kind of (Resins or plastics or some things like that). At this time I don't know what equation exactly applied. To be honest, I work as a management advisor.

To clarify, I talk about a small business with limited financial resource. So I cannot offer them a way that use golden catalyzer or something too expensive. This is not my own business and I’m only trying to help them. Actually, before they are faced with law enforcement, discharge chlorine to air

Edited by Power User

59 views until now and no suggestion, no idea ...

I am just wondering, this does not appear to be so hard but...

Maybe I am wrong or maybe I chose a bad title for this topic

Anyway, I try to simplify it

Forget about business, law, and so on, just look at this:

*I have some chlorine (Cl2 gas)

*I don't need it.

*I can’t keep it (in gas form), because I haven’t proper equipment’s to do this.

*And of course I cannot let it spread around.

So, I need to convert it to any solid material that is not dangerous and by this way I can keep it. The type of material is not important, but if I can sell it, it would be grate.

To do this, I think to the reaction below:

2CaO + Cl2 = 2CaCl + O2

I chose this because I can prepare CaO (lime) at cheap price and also I can sell CaCl

Now, I have some questions:

1. Is this reaction gone to be done at room temperature and pressure?
  2. How fast this reaction would be?
  3. If it works, can we ensure it consume all Cl2 by putting extra Cao there?
  4. If it isn't going to work, what other reaction like this would be work in this situation?

2 days would be a short delay on a forum...

My small contribution:

2CaO + 2Cl2 -> 2CaCl2 + O2

at room temperature, each (without 2*) heat of formation in kJ/mol is:

-634.9 and 0 -> -795.4 and 0

and each entropy in J/mol/K:

38.1 and 223.1 -> 108.4 and 205.2

and each heat capacity in J/mol/K

42.0 and 33.9 -> 72.9 and 29.4

I haven't done that for two decades (have a software now for rocket combustion) and I'm not a chemist, so I hope they will jump in with the figures provided - believe them, not me.

Hello everybody

I need some help.

The problem is production some chlorine gas as unwanted result of reaction during manufacturing main product. We can’t let it go to the air. So I search for any method to discard it in a safe way and reasonable price.I am not familiar with this. I think maybe we can pass it throughout something like limestone or gypsum (or any other material, I don’t know) and by this way turn it to safe material.

So I ask for any way to do this.

I heard of special containers and bags you can get to dispose of hazard material. You are suppose to get these special containers to toss things like batteries as well but most people simply toss them in the trash. I seen container with lockable lids that are suppose to keep everything in. http://www.denios.co.uk/shop/container-with-plastic-pallet-800l-hazmat.html Here is a link that sells hazard material containers.

OK, Calcium oxide looks great in the text book as a way to trap Cl2, but in the real world it's more likely to react with CO2 and water.

I find the idea of a resin production process that generates Cl2 somewhat unlikely.

Could it be that the problem is hydrogen chloride?

And I think Marshalscienceguy has overlooked the difficulty of putting a gas in a bag.

Thank you for your responses

I heard of special containers and bags you can get to dispose of hazard material. You are suppose to get these special containers to toss things like batteries as well but most people simply toss them in the trash. I seen container with lockable lids that are suppose to keep everything in. http://www.denios.co...00l-hazmat.html Here is a link that sells hazard material containers.

I checked that link, but I think it could not solve our problem because even if we can put Cl2 into that container what should we do with it?

OK, Calcium oxide looks great in the text book as a way to trap Cl2, but in the real world it's more likely to react with CO2 and water.

I find the idea of a resin production process that generates Cl2 somewhat unlikely.

Could it be that the problem is hydrogen chloride?

And I think Marshalscienceguy has overlooked the difficulty of putting a gas in a bag.

Actually, I have no idea what they produce exactly, but from what they said and something I read from the internet it should be chlorine due to its obvious characters.

So, If this reaction not working what other reaction we should use for this?

or

how they do this in industrial scale?

Edited by Power User

Well, it's difficult to answer the question without knowing the details but something like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spray_tower#Gas_collection

If the gas is chlorine then adding something like ferrous sulphate will react with it and remove it- the ferric chloride/ sulphate produced isn't very hazardous and it can be neutralised with limestone or some other cheap alkali to make it even less of a problem.

The other issue is what sort of scale are you talking about? Is this a few kilograms or a few tonnes or what?

And I'm still puzzled by any reaction that gives off a little chlorine from resin making (or quite a lot of things).

What are the "obvious characters."?

There are plenty of strong smelling, toxic, corrosive gases.

Just pass the chlorine through water, then react it with sodium hydroxide/ NaOH (lye) to yield water and sodium chloride, for safe disposal.

overall reaction:

1.) H2O + Cl2 --> HCl + HClO

2.) HCl + NaOH --> NaCl +H2O

Care to try that again, but keeping a better inventory of the electrons this time?