Animal Cloning.....

albertlee

Animal cloning could be used for nearly-extinct species, to create more to reproduce.

thats the only use I could see for it, but that is a very good use. Although I think we should only clone animals that are nearly-extinct becasue of some sort of human intervention.

drug testing??? isn't that going to be inaccurate when trying on animals???

by the way, how are some drugs tested if not on animals?? because we know that not all drugs were tested on animals right?? how about things like shampoo?? what does it test upon??? human??

Albert

perfection of the technology, you would learn more about it and since noone is really into cloning humans its safe.... I think theres lots to learn, they always try animals first.

Plus like that guy said could help endangered animals also.

drug testing??? isn't that going to be inaccurate when trying on animals???

by the way' date=' how are some drugs tested if not on animals?? because we know that not all drugs were tested on animals right?? how about things like shampoo?? what does it test upon??? human??

Albert[/quote']

Well mammals in particular- the physiology is similar to humans.

"Most of the existing human ES cell lines in the world were deived fom unused embryos created for couples seeking in vitro fertilization"

what do the "lines" mean??? and what vitro fertilization??

"Another way to test putative ES cells is to mark them, then inject them into a developing animal embryo"

How do the scientists make the stem cells???

Can any one help??

thx

Albert

by the way, how are some drugs tested if not on animals?? because we know that not all drugs were tested on animals right?? how about things like shampoo?? what does it test upon??? human??

Generally they use chemicals that have been tested on animals in the past and have been approved for use, so there's no need to test them again.

what do the "lines" mean??? and what vitro fertilization??

Lines are like a family of cells, with offspring, their parent cell, it's parent cell and so on, all of the same type.

In vitro is latin for 'in glass' and it refers to any experiment that is undertaken in glassware in a lab. In vitro fertilisation is a process where eggs and sperm are taken from the mother and father, and placed is a solution in a petri dish, where the egg is fertilised and a zygote starts to develop. It is then placed in the womb and a normal pregnancy will (hopefully) follow.

How do the scientists make the stem cells???

I don't think scientists produce them now as such, they have to extract them from embryos, and this is what the quote is referring to: testing whether cells extracted from an embryo are stem cells.

oh, thanks Skye!! :)

so is there any other way of extracting stem cells?? apart from embryo??

and secondly, say, if I got defection on pancrea, do the stem cells have to be same DNA as my cells??? if so, how can scientists do that??

Albert

so is there any other way of extracting stem cells?? apart from embryo??

Yes, you have stem cells all through your body. They are necessary is constantly regenerating the different parts of your body. But compared to the stem cells taken from an embryo, they are much more limited in the kinds of cells they will produce. However, it has been found that we can stimulate some stem cells to produce cells they wouldn't ordinarily. Research is now being carried out on which adult stem cells can produce which cells.

and secondly, say, if I got defection on pancrea, do the stem cells have to be same DNA as my cells??? if so, how can scientists do that??

If you want to avoid your immune system rejecting the stem cells, then it is best to use your own cells.

Putative means 'what are thought to be'. So putative stem cells are stem cells that scietists believe are stem cells, but aren't 100% sure. That's why they then need to do the tests to confirm whether they are.