BIGGEST EVER DINOSAUR Discovered in Argentina

They grew to that size through predation i.e. the predator/prey arms race. The most likely predator would be a T-rex like animal that hunted in packs, similar to a wolf pack. This would indicate all but the largest and strongest would be in danger.

This I find is the most likely. Dimreeper is right as with pack hunting T. rex like animals. Gigantosaurus, which hunted in packs to bring down sauropods like argentinosaurus (sorry if spelling is wrong). Gigantosaurus was actually bigger than a Tyrannosaurus. But I'm sorry to say, as I might be crushing childhood dreams here, most dinosaurs weren't giants. Only a select few. Most were horse sized and smaller, a moderate amount were like rhinos, cap Buffaloes, and cars. But not a whole lot of dinosaurs were humongous, even though there was still quite a list as time goes on. Small dinosaur species vastly outnumber colossal dino species

This I find is the most likely. Dimreeper is right as with pack hunting T. rex like animals. Gigantosaurus, which hunted in packs to bring down sauropods like argentinosaurus (sorry if spelling is wrong). Gigantosaurus was actually bigger than a Tyrannosaurus. But I'm sorry to say, as I might be crushing childhood dreams here, most dinosaurs weren't giants. Only a select few. Most were horse sized and smaller, a moderate amount were like rhinos, cap Buffaloes, and cars. But not a whole lot of dinosaurs were humongous, even though there was still quite a list as time goes on. Small dinosaur species vastly outnumber colossal dino species

That is a bit of a revelation ! .. .. I have obviously been taken in by Hollywood Movies of Jurrasic Park .

I had visions of lumbering monsters the size of a house , crashing through great forests .

Enough to ' freak the living daylights out of anybody ' .

But by what you are saying , the majority ,were horse size and downward .

I will have to inform the grandchildren. They are watching a ' pack of fibs ' that monsters are the exception rather than the rule !

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Haha, well I'm sorry to ruin their lives! What a shame.

That is fine . I am rather pleased. I never did like all this " Godzilla " type world .

Now I can have sweet dreams of a more pleasant world existing on my Dorset , Jurassic, Coast just down the road .

Fond pictures of creatures wandering and smiling at each other as they drift through grass glade woodland , ponds and peace .

Mike

I wish. It would be priceless. But the fossil record sure does show it, so I guess there are "pictures" of it.

Separate pictures :- one showing comparative size of a man :-

post-33514-0-51822900-1424522265.jpg.

. stegosaur. With its notable temperature controlling fins on its back

post-33514-0-62934000-1424522297_thumb.jpg

. allosaurus .

With its notable front legs ,looking almost like forearms .( suitable for grabbing )

( not that much more taller than the man illustrated ) . Not that I would want to ' Arm Wrestle' with even an average Allosaurus !

Mike

"Courtesy of"? Am I to understand you asked for, and got, permission to post the picture?

The following picture like many others has been put up into the public arena for viewing , in this case with a clear identification as to its origin .

removed by mod

I have sought advice , due to my artistic activity as to the protocol , when utilising or referring to other people and artists work , with regards to copyright . It would appear that the key issues are :-

(a) an attempt to copy and pass off as your own ,other peoples work , without due recognition. ( hence the courtesy of )

(b) to profit from other peoples work .

In the example above , it is clear no passing off is possible as the work of the National Geographic and the particular artist Davide Bonadonna , are identified.

In the case of Franz Joseph's drawing of three dinosaurs , was being distributed in a public arena. I was able to locate the author and made diligent reference to his origination showing due courtesy in the process. Also I am not attempting to profit from his work . So I believe I have undertaken the correct protocol.

You should notice that I have done this in most of my recent posts.

Mike

Edited by imatfaal

!

Moderator Note

Mike - your notions on copyright are limited and not entirely correct. A few minutes on the NatGeo website found this injunction

To not reproduce, distribute, modify, re-post on another Service (regardless of the server on which the Content is stored), or sell any Content without specific written authorization from National Geographic ...

I have removed the content.

!

Moderator Note

Regarding Fritz Joseph

That picture is on deviantart - which I am pretty sure means it is up for sale. From the deviantart website

• It doesn't matter how you obtained the material, it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.
  • It doesn't matter whether or not you've credited the proper owner, it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.
  • It doesn't matter if you are not selling it or making a profit, it's still considered copyrighted and you still need permission.

Again I have removed the picture

The following picture like many others has been put up into the public arena for viewing , in this case with a clear identification as to its origin .

removed by mod

I have sought advice , due to my artistic activity as to the protocol , when utilising or referring to other people and artists work , with regards to copyright . It would appear that the key issues are :-

(a) an attempt to copy and pass off as your own ,other peoples work , without due recognition. ( hence the courtesy of )

(b) to profit from other peoples work .

In the example above , it is clear no passing off is possible as the work of the National Geographic and the particular artist Davide Bonadonna , are identified.

In the case of Franz Joseph's drawing of three dinosaurs , was being distributed in a public arena. I was able to locate the author and made diligent reference to his origination showing due courtesy in the process. Also I am not attempting to profit from his work . So I believe I have undertaken the correct protocol.

You should notice that I have done this in most of my recent posts.

Mike

!

Moderator Note

You say you located the author — did you or did you not get permission to post the image? You didn't answer that.

That someone has posted the picture on their site in no way removes copyright. IOW, someone else violating copyright does not remove the copyright. A low-effort search reveals that the picture is on Franz-Josef73's page at DeviantArt. http://franz-josef73.deviantart.com/art/Morrison-mayhem-Allosaurus-and-Stegosaurus-405550719?q=gallery%3AFranz-Josef73%2F37425930&qo=76

There is clearly a copyright notification on the page.

As to what is permissible, ANY reproduction without permission is a violation, unless you can claim "fair use" (e.g. in a scholarly article or review of the work). It's not obvious you can claim that. Copyright grants the owner of said copyright the exclusive right to determine use and distribution. You don't get to decide when it's OK to violate that.

While the acknowledgement of attribution is better than no mention at all, it is NOT the same as permission.

Look for images that have a creative commons license, or where it is clearly stated that it is in the public domain.

!

Moderator Note

You say you located the author did you or did you not get permission to post the image? You didn't answer that.

That someone has posted the picture on their site in no way removes copyright. IOW, someone else violating copyright does not remove the copyright. A low-effort search reveals that the picture is on Franz-Josef73's page at DeviantArt. http://franz-josef73.deviantart.com/art/Morrison-mayhem-Allosaurus-and-Stegosaurus-405550719?q=gallery%3AFranz-Josef73%2F37425930&qo=76

There is clearly a copyright notification on the page.

As to what is permissible, ANY reproduction without permission is a violation, unless you can claim "fair use" (e.g. in a scholarly article or review of the work). It's not obvious you can claim that. Copyright grants the owner of said copyright the exclusive right to determine use and distribution. You don't get to decide when it's OK to violate that.

While the acknowledgement of attribution is better than no mention at all, it is NOT the same as permission.

Look for images that have a creative commons license, or where it is clearly stated that it is in the public domain.

I

As to what is permissible,

I claim scholarly use thus :-

ANY reproduction without permission is a violation, unless you can claim "fair use" (e.g. in a scholarly article or review of the work). It's not obvious you can claim that. Copyright grants the owner of said copyright the exclusive right to determine use and distribution. You don't get to decide when it's OK to violate that.

I have e mailed Franz Joseph himself for his permission. I will advise his reply .

I hope somebody posts my pictures , I will be glad of the publicity !

Here copy this :-

post-33514-0-28384900-1424722155_thumb.jpg. Copyright free anybody worldwide .

Thanks . I am mike smith.

In case of any ambiguity . I am a contributor on the science forum for " I claim scholarly use "

Bunters !

!

Moderator Note

In case of any ambiguity . I am a contributor on the science forum for " I claim scholarly use "

Bunters !

from NatGeo again

Educators or Learners are prohibited from disseminating Downloadable Content beyond such Educator’s or Learner’s particular educational institution, organization, or home.

Educators or Learners may neither make use of nor allow or enable the use of Downloadable Content in a manner in which it is re-posted, framed, or mirrored on any other websites, regardless of educational use, but may store Downloadable Content on password-protected computer networks administered by the Educator’s or Learner’s school or school system.

So even if you could claim to be an Educator (which frankly I would seriously seriously doubt) - you cannot post on a public access website. Please stop arguing the toss when you clearly do not understand the subject - and please stop posting bandwidth-sapping quantities of pictures (that's personal rather than official).

Post other peoples work when you know that it is copyright free or you have permission - not otherwise.

If nothing else , I have tried so hard to find the answers and evidence , from 18 years old to 71 years old ( that's 53 years. From 0 to 18 just opening my eyes and gazing about ) ! If I have not found something out about the world , cosmos and everything during these years ,to pass on . Then I despair !

post-33514-0-50330900-1424848430_thumb.jpg

A picture ,one of my daughters took of me struggling down a dry river bed on the Canary Islands two years ago . We were searching then ! I have collected sand ,grit and stones from all over the world. My friends and four daughters as they move about the world, have brought me stones and grit , ( my wife ,needless to say has not been well suited with this , ) from Patagonia, the atacama desert, from the Australian outback , from the Khyber pass ## , from the Indian Ocean , from the Atlas Mountains in Morocco, from the island of Vancouver ,Western Canada ....this one is amazing ( see below )

Absolutely ..Sirendipody ...

post-33514-0-19715500-1424849639_thumb.jpg

##. Link to khyber pass :- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass

Mike

!

Moderator Note

Mike - what does that have to do the "biggest ever dinosaur discovered in argentina"?

This is a science forum not a chat room - you cannot just make a rambling chatty post where-ever you fancy. Feel free to open a blog if you wish to post your thoughts and ruminations. Please do not respond to this moderation and please try to keep on topic.

post-33514-0-82548300-1425026047_thumb.jpg

This stone is , I fondly believe , relevant to why the dinosaurs found in South America Argentina are , was very large ! It was found in western Canada , lodged in a cleft of a tree. Wherein the tree had further grown around it. It could be a meteorite or a broken off piece of ocean floor basalt well weathered. It was brought to me as a gift by a friend to England ,where it rests now . ( it is very heavy ) . The experience with this particular rock , may illustrate how it is possible to form a model for interpretation of what is going on here !

In trying to reason , as previous posters on this thread have reasoned , in the green glades of Dinosaur times everything was there for some dinosaurs to grow large , and not much to prevent them from growing large .

post-33514-0-91060100-1425027577_thumb.jpg

Water , trees , grasses, sunshine , and space to do things . Predators were few and one or two species came out on top . It was probably not predators that limited their size , but rather the strength of their bones as their mass fought with gravity .

----------------- quotations ------------------

A few current scientists, including myself , have argued that " if things can happen , they happen " Prof Cox & colleague

or as I put it " if there is not a reason for things not to happen , then they will happen , if there is an initiative for them to happen " Mike Smith

------------------- unquote --------------------

In the days of the Dinosaurs there were no predatory , modern fire-armed humans , to prevent dinosaurs growing bigger and bigger ,genetically . However there was a momentum of initiative to grow big and tall as with Giraffes reaching higher and higher for food until gravity won .

Mike

This stone is , I fondly believe , relevant to why the dinosaurs found in South America Argentina are , was very large ! It was found in western Canada , lodged in a cleft of a tree. Wherein the tree had further grown around it. It could be a meteorite or a broken off piece of ocean floor basalt well weathered. It was brought to me as a gift by a friend to England ,where it rests now . ( it is very heavy ) . The experience with this particular rock , may illustrate how it is possible to form a model for interpretation of what is going on here !

In the days of the Dinosaurs there were no predatory , modern fire-armed humans , to prevent dinosaurs growing bigger and bigger ,genetically . However there was a momentum of initiative to grow big and tall as with Giraffes reaching higher and higher for food until gravity won .

Mike

post-33514-0-26570000-1425074094_thumb.jpg

Winding the clock back to late dinosaur times :-

post-33514-0-39451500-1425075059_thumb.jpg

We have an ocean crust below the sea level and meteors arriving crashing in to vegetation sea and land .

Somewhere my stone ' could ' have existed at this time . ' did ' exist at this time , somewhere .

Perhaps Serendipity came into play . Why not ? Not if we are taking ' a Bottom up approach ' . But what if we take a ' Top down approach '

This is the difference between Digital Computers and Analogue Computers . It has to be said that our brains work more like Analogue Computers than Digital Computers , sometimes . So if we are looking for the perception of ' what is going on ' at a universal / Macro scale then perhaps we need to follow the style of approach the human brain uses . Namely ' overall understanding at a macro level, top down , best understood by an Analogue method ?

Recent research has revealed that rather than go to sleep , on understanding issues , certain parts of the brain , ' crank up ' at night . That is why you ' sleep on it ' , and wake up in the morning to an insightful understanding of a problem of the night before . This is because the brain is juggling ' all sorts of possible ideas ' in an analogue fashion while you ' the logical , digital bit sleeps .

Sweet dreams !

Mike