Username

CAVEAT: I'm not on staff here, but I admin/mod other similar sites and I'm fairly confident that your username can be changed, yes. I urge you to consider not doing it, though.

I see you have 77 posts already since you joined. Every single time someone has (in the past) replied to you using your (currently presented) username will become confusing for future readers/viewers if you change it now.

For example, my username is iNow. People interacting with me refer to me as "iNow." They direct comments and questions to me as "iNow." If the site Admin here at SFN changed it to (let's say) "CurmudgeonCracker," then all of the other posts I've made in the past with my old user name... and all posts that all other members have made interacting with me with that old username would all stop making sense.

Someone would read it and think, "Why is this weirdo guy named CurmudgeonCracker responding to a post that was clearly directed to some other fella named iNow? What a maroon... And, seriously... why did iNow never bother to respond? He must be a big jerk!"

Of course, the staff here could change your username for you then simply change your user title or append to the end of the new username, "(formerly known as gwiyomi17)," but that's just excessive and silly, IMO.

Anyway... I'm just putting that out there as food for thought. Nobody here really cares what your username is (unless it's blatantly offensive, perhaps). No, what matters here at SFN is what's in your posts, the content of your contributions, and the value you add to the discussions.

I encourage you to consider leaving it as is, even though it's technically possible for an admin to change it. [/MyTwoCents]

Cheers.

Edited by iNow

After a certain amount of time the function to change your user name goes away, for the reason the iNow mentions. Since you've been here over a year, my guess is that no, you are no longer able to. Admin can do it manually, but speaking as just one staff member, I doubt the overall consensus would be to allow it.

There is a short window where you can change it, but like iNow said, it's not advisable. One of the staff members could change it if you have a good reason, but most of the time our answer will be 'no'.

They direct comments and questions to me as "iNow." If the site Admin here at SFN changed it to (let's say) "CurmudgeonCracker,"

Why must you tempt me like that?

I think it should be allowed, at least once.

If someone really wants to change name they should be granted a new one. The username reflexts on yourself and if you really regret the name you took when you joined, then not allowing a change could cause good members start a new account or leave, which both would seem less desirable than the problems with a simple name change.

If they have to ask an admin then I don't think it will be abused and while it could cause some problems, especially if a user like iNow or someone else with 10 000 or more posts would change name, I still think we can handle it even for them.

There are examples of members who have been granted new names and even new accounts in the past, problems seems to have been minimal or none.