Scary Stuff

us.2u

Seriously, if you're going to post URLs to other sites, please at least ATTEMPT to include some sort of discussion or point. Add some value.

Seeing as this was a headline on nearly all major news web sites last week you can take it as read that most people on a science forum will have seen it already.

Well my feelings differ; I find any threat scary to the whole of mankind, as we know it! Basically like you I realise none of us are eternal, but fortunately like a lot of other people I enjoy my own existence & value that immesely! I find your views extremely difficult to take in; a man of your calibre dosen't appear to be alarmed by extra-terristial threats to terrestial life including your very own?...Of course if Armegeddon happens we are powerless but I do appreciate life.... everybodys my own, & yours without it don't you think the existance of anything else would be fruitless?...us.2u

To be honest an alien invasion would be kind of liberating. At least we could die safe in the knowledge we aren't solely responsible for propergating life among the universe.

As for the probability of being killed by a cosmic event, your more likely to be run over or die some other equally unspectacular death. At least it'd be an awesome fireworks show (preceding the human barbeque).

Oh now i see, that is kinda glib...

oh well :)

I disagree Sayonara you left me with a personal opinion which I shared with you I definately was not drawing any conclusions; in all honesty I can't see any thing conclusive in my posts only that you appear not to be alarmed by the extinction of life but just quote "Humans are supposed to die when things kill them" You maintain you do not find that scary? I maintain it sure as hell scares me yes I do have an opinion... not conclusion, by your return post & IMHO I indeed find your response to what might happen to the extinction of life surprising not conclusive...us.2u

What I mean by a neighboring star is a star within 10 light years or less the star in question was 50,000 light years away I quoted an "explosion of a neighboring star would proberly wipe out our whole galaxy" not that the explosion was not in our Galaxy so if everyone were to read poist correctly this explanation would not be neccassary....us.2u

What I mean by a neighboring star is a star within 10 light years or less the star in question was 50,000 light years away I quoted an "explosion of a neighboring star would proberly wipe out our whole galaxy" not that the explosion was not in our Galaxy so if everyone were to read poist correctly this explanation would not be neccassary....us.2u

Yes, but if a star in our galaxy exploded, it wouldn't matter how close the star is to us. It would still do the same amount of damage to the galaxy.

You are saying that if a star in the galaxy explodes 50,000 light years away, it would not wipe out the galaxy. However, if the same star explodes 10 light years away, it would wipe out the galaxy. That doesn't make sense because the star is still inside the galaxy and the explosion is at the same magnitude.

Herme 3 I believe you are correct, I do apologise for misunderstanding thank-you for your enlightenment. You know maybe from your earlier post something did happen like that that wiped out our Dinos; I guess I should have considered your thoughts but personally I still think a metorite was the cause... but one day you might be proven correct & me wrong, that's what makes this site full of interest, we all have thoughts on what was, is, & yet to come....us.2u

I disagree Sayonara you left me with a personal opinion which I shared with you I definately was not drawing any conclusions;

You can disagree if you like but that's what you did.

in all honesty I can't see any thing conclusive in my posts only that you appear not to be alarmed by the extinction of life but just quote "Humans are supposed to die when things kill them"

The conclusions you seem to come to in that post were:

- That I do not seem to "enjoy my own existence & value that immesely",

- That I do not "appear to be alarmed by extra-terristial threats to terrestial life including [my] very own",

- That I do not "appreciate life".

...none of which are supported by what I said in reply to your question.

You maintain you do not find that scary?

Absolutely.

Unfortunate, inconvenient, really quite annoying - all "yes". Scary? No.

I do not have any conclusions about people I do not know How can I? That would be assumptious; I am unassuming especially to every indiviuals view of life; as that is pertinent to them & none of my business; indeed if you feel there was any referal to you, I'm sorry you view my post that way I stated I find your views difficult to take in. In turn I related to how I feel about a mass threat & my own feelings of how much I like my life, & your own quote in answer to my question "Don't you find that scary?" where you replied "Not really" by that answer I did believe your outlook differed from mine. But I do respect your intelligence I hope you do not find this offensive it's not meant to be... but you do remind me of Cmdr Spock from star-trek who has no emotion; just sheer logic...& oh my you've got that...us.2u

Point taken Sayonara maybe the next one will wipe us all out including you! now don't you find that scary!
Unfortunate' date=' inconvenient, really quite annoying - all "yes". Scary? No.[/quote']Why should anyone worry or be afraid of something they have absolutely no power to defend against? If you're scared of being mugged, take a defense course. If you're scared of getting cancer, avoid carcinogens and see your doctor often. If you're scared of being wiped out by a cosmic event along with the rest of the planet, you are worrying needlessly.

There is nothing you could do to prevent it.

50,000 light years is still within our galaxy. The milky way is predicted to be 80,000 to 120,000 light years across and 7,000 light years thick. And we are about 26,000 light years from the galactic center located in one of the outer spiral arms. Obviously we are still here so our galaxy is not destroyed. The only thing that can destroy a galaxy is a collision with another one as far as I know.

I beg to differ...are you sayng in every circumstance beyond our control we should not worry? How about if someone pulls an unexpected weapon on us & instantly we know we may be facing death....would be worried about our survival? I believe the majority of us would! I also believe we explore space in the distant hope to prolong our survival, so hopefully before a cosmic event may wipe us out I hope man worries enough to outlive a castrophe, & that we do worry for the sake of our children & their generations to come.....us.2u

I beg to differ...are you sayng in every circumstance beyond our control we should not worry?
Exactly. Prepare yourself where you think it is necessary and feasible. Don't worry about the things you can't prevent or prepare for.
How about if someone pulls an unexpected weapon on us & instantly we know we may be facing death....would be worried about our survival?
There are steps you can take to minimize the danger in this instance. Take karate. Or stay at home. Or hire a bodyguard. Or anything else you feel may help. But if you can't do any of these things, you can't control someone someone who pulls an unexpected weapon on you, so why worry about it? You're more likely to die from the stress of needless worry.

What steps are you going to take to minimize the danger of dying from a global event that destroys us all?