My Book

I have been less active on ScienceForums lately because I have been writing a book. It's called Einstein Relatively Simple: Our Universe Revealed in Everyday Language. The book is based on courses I teach at Lifelong Learning Institutes at several universities here in South Florida. The book is now published by World Scientific Publishing and available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.

I think the book would be helpful to a number of forum members in explaining the basics of special and general relativity. I know there are forum rules on promoting a book, and the last thing I want to do is violate them. So please advise as to what I can and cannot do. Can I mention the book in a posting? Can I leave my website link at the end of a posting? Can I write about the book in my blog (It's Relative)? Are there other permitted ways to let members know the book is available?

If you'd like to know more about the book and some early reviews, please check out my website: iramarkegdall.com

I'm fine with you writing about your book on your blog, since it's a blog. On the forums, you can bring it up when it's relevant to discussion ("I explain this in more detail in my book"), but creating threads to advertise would clearly be over the line.

It's a rather fuzzy boundary and I'm not sure where to draw the line. Just how much do you have to bring it up before it's advertising? I'm not sure. Perhaps some other moderators can weigh in.

From a practical standpoint -- don't worry, we won't just ban you the instant we see a link. If a moderator does object, they may remove the link and send you a message.

(I'm interested in what the mods think for my own reasons too. I'm also writing a book and will find it hard to resist bringing it up. I don't want to abuse my admin position to advertise it freely.)

I'm fine with you writing about your book on your blog, since it's a blog. On the forums, you can bring it up when it's relevant to discussion ("I explain this in more detail in my book"), but creating threads to advertise would clearly be over the line.

It's a rather fuzzy boundary and I'm not sure where to draw the line. Just how much do you have to bring it up before it's advertising? I'm not sure. Perhaps some other moderators can weigh in.

From a practical standpoint -- don't worry, we won't just ban you the instant we see a link. If a moderator does object, they may remove the link and send you a message.

(I'm interested in what the mods think for my own reasons too. I'm also writing a book and will find it hard to resist bringing it up. I don't want to abuse my admin position to advertise it freely.)

Coincidentally i stumbled upon Benford's law, today maybe of some interest for your book.

moderators get ready to form an orderly queue to give Capn a warning point for spamming