Picture of yourself as your Avatar?

Elite Engineer

Perhaps my avatar is a picture of me already.

But you said you weren't a man, unless that is a very masculine woman in that picture, but I guess your orientation isn't any of my business anyway.

Edited by SamBridge

But you said you weren't a man, unless that is a very masculine woman in that picture, but I guess your orientation isn't any of my business anyway.

It may surprise you to know that I'm also not that old or that dead (FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns_Woodward). In fact, my mother wasn't even born when the photo in my avatar was taken.

I've had several people think that my avatar is my picture, since they have spoken of me holding a gun. (It's Sean Connery holding a Walther LP-53 Air Pistol, from the movie poster/promo shots for From Russia With Love)

There aren't that many pictures of me on the internet. Unless you Googled very specifically, chances are you'll get the wrong person.

There aren't that many pictures of me on the internet. Unless you Googled very specifically, chances are you'll get the wrong person.

Here, here. I too like having what is a relatively common name. You can Google to your heart's content, but I've got plausible deniability for all of them. "Sure, you found a picture of Paul Smith, but not the right Paul Smith" :D

To the OP: I prefer my relative anonymity to formality. I don't think that there is much to be gained from using a 'real' picture versus the risks incumbent with willingly giving up anonymity. So, while I appreciate the sentiment behind the idea, I'm going to choose not to participate.

Here, here. I too like having what is a relatively common name. You can Google to your heart's content, but I've got plausible deniability for all of them. "Sure, you found a picture of Paul Smith, but not the right Paul Smith" :D

To the OP: I prefer my relative anonymity to formality. I don't think that there is much to be gained from using a 'real' picture versus the risks incumbent with willingly giving up anonymity. So, while I appreciate the sentiment behind the idea, I'm going to choose not to participate.

Exactly. Relative anonymity is my attitude as well. And with of order a billion people on the internet, even without a common name, there are going to be many "copies" of you out there.

I prefer not to be influenced or distracted either by other members' splendiforous beauties or hideous ugliosities. Nor do I think it fitting for me to inflict mine on them. :ph34r:

Edited by Acme

Glad I read this before suggesting we all take "special" photos to raise awareness for testicular cancer.

Wish I had read this before getting my pic; I thought we were doing colon cancer awareness. :o

When someone pointed out that I was wearing 2 different socks, I said " I know; I have another pair just like this at home".

Edited by Acme