Video Editing Software

Cap'n Refsmmat

I'm taping a video and I need to put the bits together and add subtitles' date=' etc.

Nothing too fancy.

erm, Avid FreeDv says that it needs a gigabyte of system memory... yikes. I have half that.[/quote']

I use Sony's Pixella. It's not that great, unless your doing small stuff. I got it for free with my camera, so I'm not sure you can get it online.

edit: heres the website http://www.imagemixer.com/e/sony/handycam/index.htm

Movie maker is really simple, almost to the point that I find it pretty bad software. You can get a 30 day trial of Sony Vegas 5 at the sony website, and that is really top notch software. I found it very easy to learn, and you can just use its simple features, or get more in depth with key frames and color correction if thats what you want.

I would definitely go with VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod ( modified to be compatible with stuff like .ogm and .mkv) Both are open source. Handy for creating .avi's , splitting them , joining up and many other advanced stuff. You can also add your subtitles to avi using the textsub filter. First you will have to learn up how to create .srt or .ssa subtitles.

For most your stuff. VitrualDub will definitely get the job done.

• 2 weeks later...

You can burn pretty much anything onto DVD as long as you have the proper codecs for it. Most of the DVD authoring software will automatically transcode the video into MPEG2 for you anyway. Also, your camera probably gives you MPEG1 instead of MPEG2, so you'd have to do this anyway.

FreeDV is a bit of a beast, but you can run it on 512mb quite easily as long as you don't start doing anything *too* drastic. Try it and see what you think.