Could matter exist of energy?

Gabrooxy

I really don't know in which category to post this, so i just ended up doing so here.

I just though about the fact that people think that everything exist of something, mainly something smaller.

Like an atom consists of protons, electrons and neutrons. What if at some point energy took form into something which from there fuses into bigger things ending up as stuff known to us like electrons et cetera.

I just think that since, as far as the Energy-Law is concerned, energy can not be produced nor lost,but instead just changes form, couldn't it take the form of matter. For example energy can be in form of electrical energy.

The thought of things just being made of smaller and smaller things, to me, sounds illogical, or at least not the only option, at some point. Somehow i can't clear my head at the moment so this is all I could think of right now. Sorry for the rather dry explanation of my thoughts. I actually thought of more but I just can't turn that into words.

Thanks for reading this.

Matter is form of energy.

For instance electron/positron has energy 510999 eV. (That's ~220,000 times more than green light photon 532 nm)

Proton/antiproton has 938272046 eV (1836.15 times higher than electron).

Neutron/antineutron has 939565378 eV.

That energy can be released during annihilation of particle.

Annihilation (unlike layman think basing mostly on sci-fi movies) is not total disappearing, but changing matter to f.e. gamma photons.

For instance positron with electron:

e+ + e- -> y + y

Edited by Sensei

• 5 weeks later...

Here's an image of a bubble chamber. A photon leaves no trail, but the particle/antiparticle pair does. They curve in opposite directions owing to the magnetic field in place, with the radius depending on the energy.

http://amyvdh.tumblr.com/post/32141718017/yourhost-bubble-chamber-event-invisible

Thank you I never understood how those images worked, ie the curls aspect.

• 1 month later...

I really don't know in which category to post this, so i just ended up doing so here.

I just though about the fact that people think that everything exist of something, mainly something smaller.

Like an atom consists of protons, electrons and neutrons. What if at some point energy took form into something which from there fuses into bigger things ending up as stuff known to us like electrons et cetera.

I just think that since, as far as the Energy-Law is concerned, energy can not be produced nor lost,but instead just changes form, couldn't it take the form of matter. For example energy can be in form of electrical energy.

The thought of things just being made of smaller and smaller things, to me, sounds illogical, or at least not the only option, at some point. Somehow i can't clear my head at the moment so this is all I could think of right now. Sorry for the rather dry explanation of my thoughts. I actually thought of more but I just can't turn that into words.

Thanks for reading this.

Physics allows for mass to be converted to energy such as the case of our sun nuclear fusion and the reverse energy to mass as it happened in the Big Bang senario.

Mass is a type of energy. Energy is a property.

"energy is a property"...hmmmm....so like..hmm...ok for example, a property of a diamond is that it is the hardest known material, people recognize a diamond as having the property of being the hardest known material because of experiments such as the "scratch test" in which a diamond is able to scratch any other known material...so when you say energy is a property and mass is a type of energy, what indicates that mass has the property of energy?

"energy is a property"...hmmmm....so like..hmm...ok for example, a property of a diamond is that it is the hardest known material, people recognize a diamond as having the property of being the hardest known material because of experiments such as the "scratch test" in which a diamond is able to scratch any other known material...so when you say energy is a property and mass is a type of energy, what indicates that mass has the property of energy?

Mass is a type of energy. I didn't say mass has energy.

Matter has the property of mass, and of energy.