[News] Frank Baker 'survives spontaneous human combustion'

BlueSpike

From the Huffingtonpost:

''Frank Baker faced death while earning two Purple Hearts in Vietnam, but the scariest moment of his life came in June 1995.

Baker was in his home in Vermont, when he suddenly burst into flames, an experience he discusses for the first time on "The Unexplained Files," airing Oct. 2 on the Science Channel.

"We were getting ready for fishing and sitting on the couch," Baker said on the episode. "Everything was great. [Friend] Pete [Willey] was sitting next to me [and] we were having a helluva time."

That is, until things started heating up -- literally -- when flames appeared on Baker's body.

"It was the damndest thing I've ever seen," Willey remembered. "Frank was freaking out and making me freak out."

Baker started panicking and tried everything to stop his body from being burned.

"I had no idea what was taking place on my body -- none," he said.

Baker and Willey somehow put out the flames and got to a doctor. But the diagnosis was as shocking as the sudden flames that engulfed his body.

"The doctor called, and said, 'Frank, this burned from the inside out,'" Baker said.

Frank Baker discussed his alleged case on Oct. 2, on the Unexplained Files on the Science Channel. No skeptical input whatsoever is offered in the news source (which did irk me) so I'm wondering what you guys think.

He was then diagnosed with partial spontaneous combustion. He says on his Facebook he wants donations because he's having testing done and for finding a cure. He recently sold his home so there must be truth to this story because he seems really desperate he says this has happened to him 3 times so far and that there may not be a fourth.

What do you think? Is he telling the truth?

Frank states he spontaneously combusted and his doctor even told him ''Frank, this burnt from the inside out''

[Edit, I saw the latest version of the documentary that deals with his alleged physics-defying experience, the narrator ADMITTED both Frank and his witness-friend REFUSED a polygraph test]

Edited by BlueSpike

No. Ignoring, for a moment, the impossibleness of SHC, the lack of tangible evidence, lack of doctor's reports and lack of photographs of the burns, and we're left with a Frank Baker who either doesn't exist, or is a liar.

Frank Baker faced death while earning two Purple Hearts in Vietnam, but the scariest moment of his life came in June 1995.

http://www.thepurpleheart.com/recipient/

Edit: Also, the TV show this is from is an entertainment show, not a documentary show.

Edited by pwagen

The Narrator on the later version of the show admitted Frank and his friend Willey both refused a polygraph test.

However I actually found Frank's Facebook account. All he ever posted about was how this has happened to him4 times and he needs money to get tested, pay for hospital bills and fund for a cure.

He sold his house on November 27th

His gofundme page received no donations so that does add some credance to his story

People in general are smart enough not to donate to this fraud. How on Earth does that make him any more credible?

Where are the hard evidence any of this happened? "Frank said so" does not count.

I wonder what you guys think of this guy who said on another forum that his Aunt survived SHC
He says he saw it for himself, and his aunt did not smoke.
So just a few minutes ago, the guy who mentioned his aunt spontaneously combusted posted about it a second time on this social website and I tried to get him to admit he lied and there was no case of an aunt spontaneously combusting and there was no doctor to confirm she'd burnt from the inside out
Didn't go well, I got cussed at in ALL CAPS and he seemed very defensive, telling me to leave his aunt alone, I politely asked him to admit his lies, but he never did. He just got more and more defensive.
Is this normal behavior for a person who is lying about the whole thing? If he was lying about this wouldn't he have just said he was lying instead of arguing and being defensive?

I got the screenshots.
Here's where it first began: http://oi60.tinypic.com/35kicn6.jpg (be sure to click on the image to enlarge it)
''Leave my aunt alone''
Here's where he got really angry when I straight up called him out: http://oi58.tinypic.com/23wu3jt.jpg
When I straight up called him a liar, you can see he acts much more aggressive than in the 1st screenshot.
Edited by BlueSpike

Is this normal behavior for a person who is lying about the whole thing?

Yes. Instead of admitting he only has anecdotal evidence, he victimize his grandmother and appeals to pity. Caps is not cruise control for cool, and it doesn't make you more right.

If he was lying about this wouldn't he have just said he was lying instead of arguing and being defensive?

No. People are able to keep lying even when confronted.

Perhaps but in this case he wasn't asking for money and he seems normal otherwise.

People will go a long way for some attention.

List 5 reasons why it is, as you say,'' impossible.''

I think there's already a thread discussing the alleged science behind SHC. I can see if I can find it when I get home (on the phone atm, so not properly eqipped to search the forums).

I think there's already a thread discussing the alleged science behind SHC. I can see if I can find it when I get home (on the phone atm, so not properly eqipped to search the forums).

It's in speculations 2nd page. And BlueSpike is author of that thread too.